Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
For how many times the media has delighted in the prospect of the Big 12 being gone, it would be extremely satisfying to outlast the Pac 12 and ACC. Stick to the Big 12 branding.
A lot, and the same talking heads today, are saying the P12 is in better shape then the Big 12, and will be the conference doing the raiding, all the while, Oregon and Washington have one foot out the door, and CU, UU and the Arizona schools are asking to join the B12.

But the P12 has all the large markets, they say, Ya, and few out their cares about college football.

CY9395

Jun 7, 2010
Why were teams like Rutgers valuable once because they got the NY market even though nobody there really watched them? Yet a Team like Cal isn’t worth much even though it’s in a big population area? Did that thinking all change?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Why were teams like Rutgers valuable once because they got the NY market even though nobody there really watched them? Yet a Team like Cal isn’t worth much even though it’s in a big population area? Did that thinking all change?
rutgers was tied to a cable package where all subscribers who had that cable were paying. Kind of like when our local cable added Big10 network and you got it (and by default paid for it in your basic cable plan) whether you watched it or not.

PAC10 cable channel never got that kind of push and so there was no honey pot of free cable money for them. Thus there is no $$$ benefit, cable-package-wise to adding them.

And yes, the streaming growth and gradual decline in cable dominance is a factor as well.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Reactions: MeanDean

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Utah media’s perspective on potentially joining the Big 12.

Utah has me most excited of the 4. I really liked watching that team last year. They have been very solid for a long time. Having BYU in the conference with them would be a good rivalry that would draw a lot of eyeballs I am sure. They have had some pretty good bball teams if I remember correctly. Plus an away game at SLC would be awesome. Boulder would be fun but from what I understand the fans there stink so not sure if the atmosphere at the game would be that great.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Utah media’s perspective on potentially joining the Big 12.

I like that both AZ and Utah media are on board with this. Colorado is likely to follow suit. These will be the best group of schools added to the Big 12 since the league was formed (hopefully). Please make it happen. The networks are likely the only thing that could stop it. Do we have anything to worry about on that front?

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Here is where the Big 10 is going to get in more and more trouble. They are caught in the middle of the blue state/red state split and by adding Pac 12 schools, it made the red state/blue state split all the more interesting. Wouldn't have made a difference 10 years ago, but now it creeps into college sports. COVID response, legislatures threatening travel to certain states, culture war issues. Most of the time, it is all bluff, but it still is there. I am not advocating either side, but the Big 10 has to navigate waters that the Big 12 doesn't.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Here is where the Big 10 is going to get in more and more trouble. They are caught in the middle of the blue state/red state split and by adding Pac 12 schools, it made the red state/blue state split all the more interesting. Wouldn't have made a difference 10 years ago, but now it creeps into college sports. COVID response, legislatures threatening travel to certain states, culture war issues. Most of the time, it is all bluff, but it still is there. I am not advocating either side, but the Big 10 has to navigate waters that the Big 12 doesn't.
Maybe, maybe not.

It's state money that can't be used. Private donors can fund the travel expenses and the issue can be overcome pretty easily.

Not to turn this political, PLEASE!!!!!!!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009

Interesting, but dumb.

No football = no interest.

It's more likely they would be added to the Pac after other teams are poached by us or whomever.

It's kind of a slap in the face by media types thinking Big XII is going to jump on a basketball powerhouse. And the concept of adding St. Mary's etc. is the next closest thing to trolling I've read in a long time.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Actually, IIRC, the Big Xii has *Trademarked Big 14 and Big 16 (perhaps in Roman numerals), so I would rebrand accordingly under that name to get rid of the negative Big Xii bashing of the past decade.
I've wondered if changing names would help get us away from the "Big 12 doesn't play defense" narrative. Because it's just not true when you look at per play metrics and bowl game results.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron