Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, the amount of confidence on this board right now is pretty wild, particularly when you consider what we've been through the last decade. There's no such thing as solid ground.

Meh, might as well look at the bright side. As far as I know no one posting on this site carries enough clout to make a difference. If one of the big money donors are here I apologize in advance.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
What is another example of an Anti-trust exemption? Doesn't Anti-trust law limit monopolies, etc.? If that is true, and I think it is, wouldn't and exemption to it allow more monopoly? In my way of thinking that would allow the NFL to put games on Saturday, making their share larger.

I know I probably have this backwards.
fortunately, monopolies aren't illegal.

best regards,

the hat

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
Meh, might as well look at the bright side. As far as I know no one posting on this site carries enough clout to make a difference. If one of the big money donors are hear I apologize in advance.

I’ll have no confidence in the near future until there is a firm commitment from conference members and media partners in the form of contracts and such.

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone and 1776

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
It was basically the Big 8 adding 4 new teams. It would be similar to Big 12 adding 4 PAC teams now. Way different than Dodd’s merger idea.
I know, but the four schools that joined consider it a merger. The magic number is no longer 12 either.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Agree 100%. I'll inject one last line to your write up. After 2045, it will start all over again when greed kicks in and the OuT's of the world think they are better and want more!
I think the OUTs of the world will be in the P1 conference. If a program can generate enough, the P1 will take them in. We might end up with a relegation-like system where programs move up and down as economics fluctuate. However, it will be entirely ad-hoc. The teams in the P1 will do their best to stay there, those on the outside will do their best to get in.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Old Big 12 Total Payouts per team (with OuT): $47.2 million
New Big 12 Total Payouts per team (without OuT, with new teams): $42.4 million

Edit:
PAC-12 projected (pre-defection and pre-renegotiation): ~$33-34 million
PAC-12 payouts in 2021: $19.8 million
Yeah, I would worry much about the PAC poaching anyone from the Big 12. The Big 12 is in a position of strength for once.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

May 7, 2020
I would think that nothing is off the table at this point. Pac12 and Big12 merger makes sense and ISU should be a part of that. But again, anything is possible right now.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm aware. But anonymous sourcing is supposed to be used to protect people with actual, sensitive information, not a way to hide the identities of people throwing sht against the wall in hopes of something sticking.
To your point: it used to be that the content and identity of an "anonymous" source still had to verified and checked by an editor, before the writer could run with it. Now, that requirement is out the window in many cases; the writer has no checks and balances.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Haven't read entire thread (sped read and skipped a lot), but would this summary be accurate?
Big 12 should add the 4 closest Pac teams (AZ, ASU, Utah, CO), vs.
Big 12 adds 6 Pac teams (Cal and Stanford added), vs.
Big 12 adds 8 Pac teams (UO and UW added to above)[Realizing UO and maybe UW leave for BIG later], vs.
Big 12 stays at current 12 [PAC stays somewhat viable by keeping UO and UW and adding 2 new teams or more]

I guess I see #1, 2 options above as the best? Am I missing anything else, realistically, over the next couple of years (before any ACC split)?

I don't see Stanford and Cal being added. They bring nothing. We aren't an academic oriented conference.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I would think that nothing is off the table at this point. Pac12 and Big12 merger makes sense and ISU should be a part of that. But again, anything is possible right now.

Doubt if a merger happens. I do think the Big 12 adds some PAC 12 teams. Arizona Schools. Utah. Colorado. Oregon and Washington have their eyes on Big Ten. Notre Dame stays Independent. Interesting to see where Stanford ends up. They wouldn’t play with. BYU before.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I’d be happy just adding az and asu. They just seem like the closest thing to Big 8/Big 12 like schools available.
Cant read the entire article behind the paywall, but I read that first sentence like there are multiple Pac 12 members that are meeting with the Big 12. Wonder if its all or how many.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado.

The more I think about this, I say take those four, which would probably be the end of the PAC. With that, it’ll force Oregon and Washington to make a move. If the BIG or SEC decide to not expand, then that probably only leaves the BIG 12 as an option. You take Washington and Oregon. Fully knowing that they may be gone in the future. Which would be ok, because it wouldn’t be a surprise when it happens.

The goal would be for the Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado. And Oregon and Washington are just the icing on the cake if they come.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The more I think about this, I say take those four, which would probably be the end of the PAC. With that, it’ll force Oregon and Washington to make a move. If the BIG or SEC decide to not expand, then that probably only leaves the BIG 12 as an option. You take Washington and Oregon. Fully knowing that they may be gone in the future. Which would be ok, because it wouldn’t be a surprise when it happens.

The goal would be for the Arizona schools, Utah, and Colorado. And Oregon and Washington are just the icing on the cake if they come.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I know the popular opinion is that Big XII will poach the PAC 12 but just do a comparison of the schools in each conference. There is no good way to compare schools one to one, but I took a super simple approach.
KU - Washington
Oklahoma State - Oregon
Baylor - Stanford
Iowa State - Cal
Texas Tech - Arizona
TCU - ASU
Kansas State - CU
West Virginia - Utah

UCF - Oregon State
Houston - Washington State
BYU
Cincy

Which school on the left would you take vs the one on the right if you were another conference. I just don't feel great that the PAC 12 won't hurt the Big XII if Oregon and Washington decide to stay. But my initial thought is that conference has struggled with fan support and it's time zones keep the rest of the country uninterested, so that gives us an edge.

But if the ACC offered WV and UCF or Cincy would they stay here?

All this said we are a strong top to bottom, although historically we have no flagships left. maybe that's the strength of our conference. No more OU/T or USC/UCLA to blow it up.
I'm not really worried about the ACC. They are locked in until 2032 in a crappy deal. The only way I worry about them is if that league dissolves and calls themselves something else but I think they'd need some other teams to not get sued.
The PAC is your threat. Keep your eyes on them and try to kill them. Sucks for the smaller schools but you have to look out for yourself. No one was throwing ISU any lifelines.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Mostly agree. But we should swap Cal for Colorado. I'm petty. They bailed on us before so screw them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron