Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Eff DD. He has ISU being left out of Big12/Pac12 merger.

I know nobody cares but it still really annoys me that stories like these are full of anonymous sources. This isn't a matter of national security; if you can't get someone on the record then they're just playing you to advance their own agenda and their quotes or speculation doesn't belong in the story.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
But the Big Xii should take some teams and avoid the "Merger" option. The Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado will be a good fit and happy to find a landing spot. The Big Xii is a better conference and makes more money, but that means nothing if there is a merger and ISU-KSU-KU are left out.
Big 12 isn’t going to merge AND kick out teams. This is just media garbage that they continue to spew that has no basis in reality.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not gonna happen unless the NFL wants to lose its anti-trust exemption.

Okay, noon kickoff in Piscataway, then. :D

It’s less about the time than the opponent. The cheerleaders for realignment think every game will be a Game Of The Week with USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan … they’ve gotta play the bottom of the conference, too. They always skip over that part.

LMAO. The Anti-trust exemption is whats keeping the NFL stable vs what is happening with the college football world at the moment.

No NFL teams want that removed. Thus, they won't put themselves in a situation where a court is going to rule they are in violation of that act.

What is another example of an Anti-trust exemption? Doesn't Anti-trust law limit monopolies, etc.? If that is true, and I think it is, wouldn't and exemption to it allow more monopoly? In my way of thinking that would allow the NFL to put games on Saturday, making their share larger.

I know I probably have this backwards.
OK. Read the article which helped clarify. Thx.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I know nobody cares but it still really annoys me that stories like these are full of anonymous sources. This isn't a matter of national security; if you can't get someone on the record then they're just playing you to advance their own agenda and their quotes or speculation doesn't belong in the story.
Because half of their sources are made up...or just some Joe dumb @$$ that has no actual knowledge.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Because half of their sources are made up...or just some Joe dumb @$$ that has no actual knowledge.

I don't believe their sources are made up, or that their sources are making things up. But it's bad, clickbait journalism to just allow people to toss out speculation, however informed it may be, in your story if they aren't willing to put their name next to it. And as you suggest, having a name next to a quote at least lets the reader attempt to evaluate how knowledgeable a source may be.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I read that "analysis" and thought about posting it, to point out the multi-level dumbness/laziness, but didn't want to give the link additional traffic. A full-on merger with only 16 teams, includes all the new Big 12 schools but boots 2 longtime members of Pac and 3 of XII. Yeah, that's the way it'll unfold, I'm sure.
It was because of market size and recruiting territory

• Agree
Reactions: 1776

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
The Big10 will be interesting to watch. If they go to a streaming service like Apple, that opens an option for the Big12. But especially now with more teams though, is think they'll be piecemealing their TV contract to multiple bidders. I doubt we hear final contracts for the Big12 until the Big10 is done.
FOX is focused on BiG now. Once that is done, look for them to focus on a “tier 2” conference in the coast to coast B12, after we grab some Pac12 schools. FOX could be the CFB winner here with tier 1 and 2 coast to coast, while ESPN’s two tiers are more regionalized in the SEC and ACC. FOX v ESPN as Chris and Brett suggested in their podcast.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't believe their sources are made up, or that their sources are making things up. But it's bad, clickbait journalism to just allow people to toss out speculation, however informed it may be, in your story if they aren't willing to put their name next to it. And as you suggest, having a name next to a quote at least lets the reader attempt to evaluate how knowledgeable a source may be.

A lot of those sources wouldnt be sources if they had to have their name attached to it. They could be high ranking officials who don't want their statements treated as official statements by the university, lower-ranking ones who don't want to get fired, etc.

This is how anonymous sourcing works with all journalism.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
A lot of those sources wouldnt be sources if they had to have their name attached to it. They could be high ranking officials who don't want their statements treated as official statements by the university, lower-ranking ones who don't want to get fired, etc.

This is how anonymous sourcing works with all journalism.

I'm aware. But anonymous sourcing is supposed to be used to protect people with actual, sensitive information, not a way to hide the identities of people throwing sht against the wall in hopes of something sticking.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
There is hope that something might happen.

See the article, though, or better yet don't. Dennis Dodd on what gives the appearance of his own proposal -- the "mutual destruction option" -- leaves out ISU and a few others (KU, KSU, WV, OSU, WSU)

Above that, he described three options comparable to what others have said on this board, as described by "one industry source."

Prior to that, Dodd said: "One industry source said the Pac-12 (without USC and UCLA) and Big 12 (without Texas and Oklahoma) compared to 'the Mountain West or AAC-plus.'"

Dennis Dodd appears to throw **** against the wall.
Dodd is a Mizzou guy that is trolling the old rivals. He does not mean what he types half of the time

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
One of those WVU guys posted that Big 12 is having an emergency meeting this afternoon. I wonder if there is any truth to that. I know Williams said earlier this week that things were going to move very quickly one way or another.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Haven't read entire thread (sped read and skipped a lot), but would this summary be accurate?
Big 12 should add the 4 closest Pac teams (AZ, ASU, Utah, CO), vs.
Big 12 adds 6 Pac teams (Cal and Stanford added), vs.
Big 12 adds 8 Pac teams (UO and UW added to above)[Realizing UO and maybe UW leave for BIG later], vs.
Big 12 stays at current 12 [PAC stays somewhat viable by keeping UO and UW and adding 2 new teams or more]

I guess I see #1, 2 options above as the best? Am I missing anything else, realistically, over the next couple of years (before any ACC split)?

Reactions: AlaCyclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
An anonymous source told me that if we can get the Cali schools to convert to the big 12, the hot tubs in the endzone are coming back to try and get Cali coeds to go on road trips with their teams.
Hell I was told there was gonna be a full on lazy river.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Dodd is a Mizzou guy that is trolling the old rivals. He does not mean what he types half of the time
Dodd has always hated the B12 and would rather see it destroyed then saved.

But why would this new league only go to 12 schools when the B10 and SEC are already at 16, and just waiting to pounce on the ACC teams, if and when they can?

Also, what is more important, the schools like Houston and Cal, because they are in large markets, but have poor attendance, or KSU and ISU, small markets but a drawing 20,000 more per game, especially you start to factor in streaming in the mix.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hell I was told there was gonna be a full on lazy river.

bill-hader-sign-me-up.gif

Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1