***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Northern Urbanland : Was out feeding the mosquitos yesterday afternoon and was surprised how excessively dry everything was. Seemed it stormed all of May, or threatened to, but I looked and not much rain this month, just that wind. Not off of average for year but it's misleading since it's going minus for the month and looks like for the summer.

I only "farm" hostas and ferns and other stuff that grows in an urban shade garden but that wind has got to be a killer for farmers if it is as bad as it has been in Minnesota. Seems it blows into at least the teens every day and more days than not gusts in the 20 and 30's. I 've had two neighbors have trees blow down and another with a huge oak branch break off and only one was during a storm. Haven't ridden bike this year yet when I didn't come back thinking "Damn, it's windy".

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Northern Urbanland : Was out feeding the mosquitos yesterday afternoon and was surprised how excessively dry everything was. Seemed it stormed all of May, or threatened to, but I looked and not much rain this month, just that wind. Not off of average for year but it's misleading since it's going minus for the month and looks like for the summer.
I can vouch for the mosquitoes in MN. Went fishing near Leech Lake a week ago and they were as bad as I have seen in 30 years. Beautiful weather but the mosquitoes made it very difficult to enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
10:12 tee time yesterday. It was rough by the end of the round.

Today I get to look forward to sand volleyball doubles at 6:30. Heat index of only 96 then. Yay.

• Haha
Reactions: cowgirl836

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
10:12 tee time yesterday. It was rough by the end of the round.

Today I get to look forward to sand volleyball doubles at 6:30. Heat index of only 96 then. Yay.

golfing in 100 degree heat and me do not mix well.

I golfed friday with a 8:45 tee time and was done a little after 1 and had a piss pounding headache. Only drank 3 beers and about 6 waters, too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
family-guy-stewie.gif

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
On this date in 1978 hail broke all 90 windows on the west side of the old Fenton high school and 4.5 inches of rain fell in 45 minutes at Humboldt.

And in 1979 10 tornado's hit northern Iowa the worst in Manson killing 3 and injuring 26. Another around Algona killed 2 and injured 34 while 10 were injured near Webster City.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I only "farm" hostas and ferns and other stuff that grows in an urban shade garden but that wind has got to be a killer for farmers if it is as bad as it has been in Minnesota. Seems it blows into at least the teens every day and more days than not gusts in the 20 and 30's. I 've had two neighbors have trees blow down and another with a huge oak branch break off and only one was during a storm. Haven't ridden bike this year yet when I didn't come back thinking "Damn, it's windy".
Hostas are amazing. We had to take out two ash trees at my rental house, and they dug out the hostas around them and left them for me. Took me over a month before I got everything together and had time to put new planters in, so they were just laying there in the dirt pile for a long time. Came up this spring like nothing had ever happened.

Reactions: isutrevman

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Hostas are amazing. We had to take out two ash trees at my rental house, and they dug out the hostas around them and left them for me. Took me over a month before I got everything together and had time to put new planters in, so they were just laying there in the dirt pile for a long time. Came up this spring like nothing had ever happened.

Agreed, they are amazing. I wish I could grow them, but the deer take to them like crack.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
On this date in 1978 hail broke all 90 windows on the west side of the old Fenton high school and 4.5 inches of rain fell in 45 minutes at Humboldt.

And in 1979 10 tornado's hit northern Iowa the worst in Manson killing 3 and injuring 26. Another around Algona killed 2 and injured 34 while 10 were injured near Webster City.
Sentral of Fenton had some hot women in my day, absolutely crazy, but hot.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The wet spring just had my yard beginning to recover from the last 2 summers. Looks like itll be going down the crapper again with that forecast.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
SPC just upgraded SE South Dakota and NW to a moderate risk including the chance for a derecho riding the stalled front draped across South Dakota and Iowa.