Miller and Condon

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I download their podcast on to hear Nick Osen (ISU 247 website) for 10-20 minutes.. Do people really listen to the radio anymore?? Do you not know about podcasts and fast forwarding to your desired content?
This. I never listen to the radio.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Ross is genuinely a really good dude. He loves talking to his listeners.
Agree, Ross seems like a good guy. He has his Hawk troll moments, but for the most part, I think he knows it and kind of leans into it to play the part or to joke around and mess with Williams and Clone fans.

Here's my one gripe about that show - my short drive home is often around 4:45, and regularly they'll go to a break right around then, come back and say two sentences, then into another break leading into the top of the hour and more commercials, then I'm home having heard two breaks and two sentences of sports talk.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
They don't even try to hide their hawk bias. ISU wins get minimized and when we lose they go to town bashing us.

Conversely when Iowa wins they go nuts about it and Iowa losses are minimized or usually come with lots of excuses.

I don't see it, personally. Ken is very upfront saying he wants Iowa and ISU to win because it is good for business, so if there is a Hawk slant it is because he knows them winning equals listeners.

I think Ross is better than CW on the radio.

Agree. CW constantly talks over people. He asks a question and when the other person begins responding he talks over them. CW, if you are reading this, you need to get that under control.

Reactions: tippyclone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Agree, Ross seems like a good guy. He has his Hawk troll moments, but for the most part, I think he knows it and kind of leans into it to play the part or to joke around and mess with Williams and Clone fans.

Here's my one gripe about that show - my short drive home is often around 4:45, and regularly they'll go to a break right around then, come back and say two sentences, then into another break leading into the top of the hour and more commercials, then I'm home having heard two breaks and two sentences of sports talk.

This is less convenient for you, but I'd download the podcast version ahead of your drive and listen to that instead of live radio, if it's a problem for you consistently. Usually they upload the shows as they go, so you should be able to get the 3pm show by the time you leave for the day. 95% of the commercials are clipped out, so you just get the show.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

They, unfortunately, don't have a lot of control over when their commercial breaks are.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
This is less convenient for you, but I'd download the podcast version ahead of your drive and listen to that instead of live radio, if it's a problem for you consistently. Usually they upload the shows as they go, so you should be able to get the 3pm show by the time you leave for the day. 95% of the commercials are clipped out, so you just get the show.
I suppose I should just leave work earlier.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Ross does come off as a good guy, but I think he has mastered the art of sounding caring and interested in a caller while sounding condescending as the same time. Kinda the "Bless your little heart and thanks for calling, now let me tell you why everything you said is wrong and how you should be ashamed for every uttering the words you just did. "

• Winner
Reactions: Tailg8er and 67CY

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't mind a little talk about point spreads and such, but when it devolves into 5-team parlays, teasers, prop bets, and odds hunting, I totally check out.
This is how I felt when fantasy football talk was all the rage. It's all unlistenable.
Ross does come off as a good guy, but I think he has mastered the art of sounding caring and interested in a caller while sounding condescending as the same time. Kinda the "Bless your little heart and thanks for calling, now let me tell you why everything you said is wrong and how you should be ashamed for every uttering the words you just did. "
That's what 99% of the people who call into sports radio shows deserve, frankly.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
This is how I felt when fantasy football talk was all the rage. It's all unlistenable.
I quit fantasy football about 4 years ago, so I know what you mean. As bad as the gambling talk is, nothing is more inane than hearing deep RB sleepers for the week, especially about an hour before kickoff when most of the time you can't even act on the advice.

That's what 99% of the people who call into sports radio shows deserve, frankly.
Probably should have qualified my statement with that, but still.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Gave up KXNO completely about a year ago. I stream SiriusXM. In the mornings I listen to Big 12 Radio, Chanel 375 with Ari Temkin and David Archer (Iowa State and Atlanta Falcon QB). Great show. I got sick of the snarky Iowa slant on KXNO. I get all my Iowa State info on Cyclone Fanatic.
I listen to Murph & Andy and The Fanatics and always find this take from our fanbase ridiculous. Neither of those shows has a Hawkeye lean, other than maybe AD shifting things on Murph & Andy.

It cracks me up how both ISU and Iowa fans constantly accuse Murph and Andy of being closet fans of the other school. They're both pretty damned fair. Murph's wife is a Cyclone fan and Andy's is a Hawkeye, so I'm sure at some level that colors each of their perspective, but the idea that there's some big pro-Iowa agenda there is a laughable.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I listen to Murph & Andy and The Fanatics and always find this take from our fanbase ridiculous. Neither of those shows has a Hawkeye lean, other than maybe AD shifting things on Murph & Andy.

It cracks me up how both ISU and Iowa fans constantly accuse Murph and Andy of being closet fans of the other school. They're both pretty damned fair. Murph's wife is a Cyclone fan and Andy's is a Hawkeye, so I'm sure at some level that colors each of their perspective, but the idea that there's some big pro-Iowa agenda there is a laughable.
Has Andy accused Hawk fans of child abuse for allowing their children to wear Hawk apparel?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Agree. CW constantly talks over people. He asks a question and when the other person begins responding he talks over them. CW, if you are reading this, you need to get that under control.
I think that's when he's doing the show from home. It seems like there's a lag with his audio.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat and ISUAlum2002

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Can someone tell me when they actually talk about sports? I'm only in the car for the last half hour of the show usually and all I ever seem to hear is Bruno, Paul Parizek, the stupid penalty box thing, constant bagging on Shawn, what ever trip Travis is getting ready to go on or just got back from.

You dumbass, why would you expect them to talk sports?

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Here are my tips for local radio station program directors:

- Under no circumstance should you devote multiple segments on your airwave for a bar owner to come on and talk about beer
- Do not broadcast minor league sporting events live on the radio. People attend minor league sports for something to do as an event. People only listen to a radio broadcast of a sporting event if they care about the outcome, which for minor league sports is no one.
- The hosts' entertainment/enjoyment/avoidance of boredom is not the objective of the show. People tune in and out, and typically want to hear interviews with actual sports people, CyHawk sports, and maybe a smattering of other sports topics - HS, NFL. The fact that they get bored by being repetitive or that they want to talk about farts and boobs really should be overruled and they should talk sports
- Now if they are terrible at talking about sports, maybe stick with farts and boobs
- Don't brag about your ratings or use it as justification that your shows are good. Most of the time there is one local option going up against the constant NFL talk about how the signing of some backup TE is going to impact the Steelers or what Dak Prescott ate for breakfast. If you put up something that is remotely local and sports you will crush the national guys. There's an appetite for local sports, and if it's the only one on at the time it's not an accomplishment to pull ratings.

Help Support Us

Become a patron