Miller and Condon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tippyclone

Jun 4, 2014
Do they still bring That “comedian” that is a friend of Ross when one of them are out? He fits the definition of a tavern hok

I quit listening when they brought that hack job on the air waves. SiriusXM BigXll is where it’s at.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
- Under no circumstance should you devote multiple segments on your airwave for a bar owner to come on and talk about beer
In regards to this, I can't imagine what he spends on advertising on kxno. He's got to be one of their biggest supporters and for the most part he has some great businesses.

Reactions: CyDegen and MJ29

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
I listen to Murph & Andy and The Fanatics and always find this take from our fanbase ridiculous. Neither of those shows has a Hawkeye lean, other than maybe AD shifting things on Murph & Andy.

It cracks me up how both ISU and Iowa fans constantly accuse Murph and Andy of being closet fans of the other school. They're both pretty damned fair. Murph's wife is a Cyclone fan and Andy's is a Hawkeye, so I'm sure at some level that colors each of their perspective, but the idea that there's some big pro-Iowa agenda there is a laughable.
I respect your opinion I just see it differently than you. Two examples that pop up that come up as "snarky", last year at the Iowa State home game against Iowa near the end of the game Murph and Andy were strategically placed on the north side of the west part of the stadium. No way to avoid them. They set up there purposely to get all the faces of the sad Iowa State fans, you couldn't avoid them. Out of all the places they could have chosen they chose that location. It felt "snarky". Maybe my opinion alone, Im fine with that. Personallly I would have chosen to give the fans some space. The second example is easy, how often was Allen Lazard badgered about his selection of Iowa State by all the staff at WHO sports? Once again it was "snarky."

I dont think there is a huge agenda against Iowa State at WHO or KXNO but I do think they like to remind Iowa State fans that Iowa State is secondary to Iowa.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The ask 5-0 segment on Tuesdays is absolutely brutal. How is that still a thing?

I actually like that segment, especially if there is something recent with current events that is relevant for discussion I like to hear his perspective. Always a good time too when Paul tears in to The Des Moines Register to call out their bias and lack of perspective or facts in their latest hit piece against the DMPD. Always funny to hear someone call in with a story or question too that you can tell the caller either has no clue or is not telling the whole story about something they got a ticket for.

The Morning Rush is more of a mixed bag morning show so I guess I don't mind the non-sports stuff as its more entertaining than any of the other local morning radio shows. I don't think KXNO has ever really had a morning show that people here seem to like. I enjoyed Larry Cotlar when he was on because he usually had some good guests on and stuck mostly to sports but I know many here didn't think his show was good for some reason.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I respect your opinion I just see it differently than you. Two examples that pop up that come up as "snarky", last year at the Iowa State home game against Iowa near the end of the game Murph and Andy were strategically placed on the north side of the west part of the stadium. No way to avoid them. They set up there purposely to get all the faces of the sad Iowa State fans, you couldn't avoid them. Out of all the places they could have chosen they chose that location. It felt "snarky". Maybe my opinion alone, Im fine with that. Personallly I would have chosen to give the fans some space. The second example is easy, how often was Allen Lazard badgered about his selection of Iowa State by all the staff at WHO sports? Once again it was "snarky."

I dont think there is a huge agenda against Iowa State at WHO or KXNO but I do think they like to remind Iowa State fans that Iowa State is secondary to Iowa.

What else would you expect from the media? That's how they get their reactions and stories by mixing in with the crowd and hoping to get some raw emotion from someone. It's not just them its the media in general, just turn on your nightly news and you will probably find a clip of a reporter that was waiting outside to get in the face of a politician or lawyer to put them on the spot and ask a question. I don't like it either but that is their business and that is how the media has acted for a long time so it is what it is.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am sure these even keeled journalists are covering the racism in Hawk football and the ongoing litigation to the same degree they opined for weeks about the JTS crowd sexually assaulting the great Hawkeye Marching Band.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here are my tips for local radio station program directors:

- Under no circumstance should you devote multiple segments on your airwave for a bar owner to come on and talk about beer
- Do not broadcast minor league sporting events live on the radio. People attend minor league sports for something to do as an event. People only listen to a radio broadcast of a sporting event if they care about the outcome, which for minor league sports is no one.
- The hosts' entertainment/enjoyment/avoidance of boredom is not the objective of the show. People tune in and out, and typically want to hear interviews with actual sports people, CyHawk sports, and maybe a smattering of other sports topics - HS, NFL. The fact that they get bored by being repetitive or that they want to talk about farts and boobs really should be overruled and they should talk sports
- Now if they are terrible at talking about sports, maybe stick with farts and boobs
- Don't brag about your ratings or use it as justification that your shows are good. Most of the time there is one local option going up against the constant NFL talk about how the signing of some backup TE is going to impact the Steelers or what Dak Prescott ate for breakfast. If you put up something that is remotely local and sports you will crush the national guys. There's an appetite for local sports, and if it's the only one on at the time it's not an accomplishment to pull ratings.

I'm not a fan of the segments with Bruno either but he does advertise a lot so my guess is its part of the deal to give him some air time too. I usually find something else to listen to when he is on as usually is not interesting to me and I enjoy craft brews and spirits but there is only so much 1 can fill a radio segment up with until it becomes redundant and boring.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Do they still bring That “comedian” that is a friend of Ross when one of them are out? He fits the definition of a tavern hok

I quit listening when they brought that hack job on the air waves. SiriusXM BigXll is where it’s at.

You are probably talking about Bill Blank. He's a Hawkeye homer for sure and he will openly admit it too. I've met him in person before and follow him on Facebook. He's actually a nice guy and I would recommend catching one of his comedy shows at the Funny Bone if he is in town as he's quite entertaining. He can get pretty critical of the Hawks on his social media at times too. When the Hawks are playing like garbage he posts some pretty funny stuff that is just pure raw emotions at the time.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I am sure these even keeled journalists are covering the racism in Hawk football and the ongoing litigation to the same degree they opined for weeks about the JTS crowd sexually assaulting the great Hawkeye Marching Band.
I’ll preface by saying I don’t listen outside of Chris’s show occasionally but if it’s true they didn’t or don’t talk all the Iowa crap then that’s kind of all you need to know.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't listen to KXNO live, but grab some podcasts. I generally always grab the "Ask 5-0" and the Bruno ones.
I must be part of the problem :shrug:

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Local Personality issues.

Disclaimer: I know no one is perfect and I usually listen to their shows but some things I have noticed

Morning Rush

Travis is so sensitive it’s unbelievable. Bring up something negative towards him he gets so defensive. If you don’t agree with him you are considered an idiot.

Heather will say things that are just head scratchers sometimes. Can easily get thrown into a tizzy with any kind of political talk.

They both treat Sean like an idiot but he probably has the best current sports knowledge of any of them.

Miller & Condon

Ken is way past his prime. He buoys the show with decent guests but they do get stale sometimes IMO

Trent is a Hok and is super condescending to anything ISU but will try to spin it as being “realistic”. Super annoying.

Murph & Andy

I don’t have an issue with any of these guys. Downs is a Hawk but at least on the airwaves he isn’t too much of a **** about the clones.

I could do without Siepker on Fridays though, tbh.

Fanatics

CW is good, I could do without his music choices.

Ross seems not bad unless he is with another Hawkeye and then it’s all Iowa talk the whole show. I will say that rant a few years ago was all time melt down material and I will never forget that. He went bananas.

TL/DR
All shows have their issues, these all mesh and are different at least and I prefer this to national shows that are pro sports all the time.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I don't mind a little talk about point spreads and such, but when it devolves into 5-team parlays, teasers, prop bets, and odds hunting, I totally check out.
I haven't listened for three or four years but I remember during basketball season they would be talking about putting bets down on some random Tuesday game. It' was usually some Drexel-Hofstra type game nobody cares about.

Guy either has a major gambling problem or is a total clown, probably a combination of both.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Bruno is my favorite guest on the show outside of Dave Bartoo. He is an entertaining guy and usually has good information.
To each their own, I guess.

Bartoo is probably my least favorite guest. It helped a bit when I found out he actually doesn't follow college football, but I've heard him maybe three times and his takes were absolutely horrible. He tries to be the "cracked the code with analytics" guy, but most of the stuff he says is not insightful and often horribly wrong. My favorite was at the beginning of the season talking about G5 and some idiotic correlation to recruiting rankings and his conclusion was "sure put Cincinnati in the playoff against Georgia, then hope they don't get beat by 63." When literally the last game the two teams had played was vs. each other that was decided by a long FG in the last seconds. Also his preseason pick for a big bounceback year was TCU. He didn't know anything about the team at all, but what the stuff he looked at told him they were due for a big year.

Look, you've got a college football website, and you're a guest on a sports talk radio station to talk about college football. "But he doesn't follow college football" is not really a justification to put a college football website guy on a sports radio show to talk nonsense.

And Bruno - fine. He's not terrible, but I swear the guy is on half the time I'm in my 15 minute work commute. How much do we need to hear about new beer releases?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I actually like that segment, especially if there is something recent with current events that is relevant for discussion I like to hear his perspective. Always a good time too when Paul tears in to The Des Moines Register to call out their bias and lack of perspective or facts in their latest hit piece against the DMPD. Always funny to hear someone call in with a story or question too that you can tell the caller either has no clue or is not telling the whole story about something they got a ticket for.

The Morning Rush is more of a mixed bag morning show so I guess I don't mind the non-sports stuff as its more entertaining than any of the other local morning radio shows. I don't think KXNO has ever really had a morning show that people here seem to like. I enjoyed Larry Cotlar when he was on because he usually had some good guests on and stuck mostly to sports but I know many here didn't think his show was good for some reason.
To not go down a rabbit hole with this thread, he could have a checkered past as well. His son has accused him of things, that his ex-wife seems to also agree with, and she was a police officer as well.
Parizek has also been found guilty in court for violating open records law:
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20394972/10-08-20-paul-parizek-open-records-judgement.pdf

Reactions: MJ29

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
One thing that each of these local programs has that makes me laugh/cringe is ther groupies that always call or tweet the program. I can just hear these people telling friends "yeah, im kinda part of the show".