Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’m gonna leave this here fully knowing it’s gonna trigger 99% of those following this thread. But there are a LOT of truths in here. A LOT. And please note I don’t agree with this guy 100% but he makes a lot of good points FOR THE CASUAL MOVIEGOER.

I don't see anything in that article that I think is even remotely disagreeable.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I’m gonna leave this here fully knowing it’s gonna trigger 99% of those following this thread. But there are a LOT of truths in here. A LOT. And please note I don’t agree with this guy 100% but he makes a lot of good points FOR THE CASUAL MOVIEGOER.

As someone who wasn't really enchanted with the MCU as it unveiled, I'm actually really enjoying the phase they're in right now. I can definitely see how a lot of people became very passionate about the MCU and now really don't have anywhere to go or are burned out. For me personally, I'm kind of excited to see where everything is moving.

Reactions: dahliaclone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Everyone wanted more and we got more. We're now pushing 3 or more films a year, when you throw in the Sony stuff, and multiple TV series. There's almost no break now, so fatigue is going to hit more people. It was basically how I got with the CW DC shows, at some point it just became exhausting. (of course most of those shows being bad certainly did it no favors.) And when you scattershot all that stuff, not all of it will end up as A-plus material as they become beholden to the machine.

Reactions: dahliaclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't see anything in that article that I think is even remotely disagreeable.

Actually, let me expand on this, and what I say will probably trigger some people to use your term.

This author was tired of it because it has to play inside of a box, both stylistically and as far as risks go. I think that's by design and it's never going to change.

The MCU is Justin Beiber. It's got a long track record of producing a lot of hits and just genuinely enjoyable songs but literally none of them are going to be anything you tell your grandkids about.

Furthermore, we've seen what happens when a big IP production tries to take a big risk. Rian Johnson produced the Last Jedi which IMO is arguably the best Star Wars movie, but fans absolutely went ape and revolted. Fiege will err on the side of producing something bland rather than produce something that infuriates people. It's also always been this way.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Actually, let me expand on this, and what I say will probably trigger some people to use your term.

This author was tired of it because it has to play inside of a box, both stylistically and as far as risks go. I think that's by design and it's never going to change.

The MCU is Justin Beiber. It's got a long track record of producing a lot of hits and just genuinely enjoyable songs but literally none of them are going to be anything you tell your grandkids about.

Furthermore, we've seen what happens when a big IP production tries to take a big risk. Rian Johnson produced the Last Jedi which IMO is arguably the best Star Wars movie, but fans absolutely went ape and revolted. Fiege will err on the side of producing something bland rather than produce something that infuriates people. It's also always been this way.
Yep.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I thoroughly enjoyed "Dr. Strange and the MoM" personally. I would put it in the top half of the echelon of the MCU movies. Loved seeing those characters I didn't expect to see as part of the Illuminati.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
47 years ago this time of year Marvel revived the dead and buried X-Men franchise and turned into a company juggernaut.

Part of me wishes the MCU had everything from the beginning.

Maybe none of it would have worked.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
47 years ago this time of year Marvel revived the dead and buried X-Men franchise and turned into a company juggernaut.

Part of me wishes the MCU had everything from the beginning.

Maybe none of it would have worked.

I mean this very seriously but I'm not sure how you incorporate the X-Men into the MCU. The MCU are action comedies. X-Men is a very serious, somber, heady series of stories. I don't think they fit the house style at all.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I mean this very seriously but I'm not sure how you incorporate the X-Men into the MCU. The MCU are action comedies. X-Men is a very serious, somber, heady series of stories. I don't think they fit the house style at all.
Honestly, the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel Universe don't really play well together. How can you have a world where the Avengers are lauded as heroes for their powers and the X-Men are persecuted because of them? It never made sense in the comics and will be harder in the movies and TV shows.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly, the X-Men and the rest of the Marvel Universe don't really play well together. How can you have a world where the Avengers are lauded as heroes for their powers and the X-Men are persecuted because of them? It never made sense in the comics and will be harder in the movies and TV shows.

I think you could do it by having a pushback against a lot more superpowered beings show up, seemingly all at once, and the backlash be to a whole new group that people are uncomfortable with.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think you could do it by having a pushback against a lot more superpowered beings show up, seemingly all at once, and the backlash be to a whole new group that people are uncomfortable with.

They kinda tried to do that in Agents of SHIELD with a rapid proliferation of Inhumans. I think they were fully set on pushing the Inhumans as their X-Men stand-ins, but the Inhumans show flopped and plans fizzled.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They kinda tried to do that in Agents of SHIELD with a rapid proliferation of Inhumans. I think they were fully set on pushing the Inhumans as their X-Men stand-ins, but the Inhumans show flopped and plans fizzled.

Recent comics runs did that - there is an Inhuman gene or something. I'm not totally familiar, but I this Ms. Marvel's comics origin comes from that.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Recent comics runs did that - there is an Inhuman gene or something. I'm not totally familiar, but I this Ms. Marvel's comics origin comes from that.
An older series from the early 2000's set the table for this. There is an alternate future series created by Alex Ross called Earth X. In it, it revealed that the Celestials planted a seed in early humans genetics which they manipulated creating both the Deviants and Celestials. Later the Kree came to Earth and repeated the experiments using the Terrigen mists to create the first Inhumans. The seed laid mostly dormant for thousands of years until the nuclear age kickstarted is again. Those that had the seed's influence manifest via accidents like Peter Parker and Bruce Banner became "normal" powered individuals. Those that had them manifest naturally were mutants. And Inhumans were still created via the mists. The seed was essentially the Inhuman gene, even thought it predated the first Inhumans.

• Informative
Reactions: aobie and BryceC

Help Support Us

Become a patron