Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Or a chant of let him shoot. Try getting in his head a little bit.
After seeing what this kid could do when motivated and with his family in attendance against LSU I think booing might be enough. Giving him the additional incentive of "they think I can't shoot, I'll show them..." just might backfire.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
After seeing what this kid could do when motivated and with his family in attendance against LSU I think booing might be enough. Giving him the additional incentive of "they think I can't shoot, I'll show them..." just might backfire.
Or it could be like the Wisconsin game. I don't think giving a guy "motivation" helps him shoot better. Usually, if anything, it makes guys force too much and jack up bad shots.

Sometimes your defensive game plan works and it leads to bad shooters taking tough shots. Sometimes that guy just gets hot and you just have to tip your hat to the guy. That was the LSU game.

I'm sure he'll become a much better shooter, but I don't think the LSU game is any better indicator than going 1-10/0-3 vs. Wisconsin on how Tyrese performs in that type of situation.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
At 27% 3 point shooting I’d take my chances. He had a handful of games all year where he shot a good percentage.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
At 27% 3 point shooting I’d take my chances. He had a handful of games all year where he shot a good percentage.
Good lord, am I going to have to post his progression behind the arc again? Look it up. The first third of the season he was atrocious against non-con teams including the only patsies the team played. The second third he was better against Big 12 defenses and the final third he was better still against Big 12 and tournament teams. He was a true freshman adjusting from the high school three point line and pace of game to the college level. He demonstrated improvement and wasn't shooting at a 27% clip by the latter stages of the season and that includes going 0-3 against Wisky.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Good lord, am I going to have to post his progression behind the arc again? Look it up. The first third of the season he was atrocious against non-con teams including the only patsies the team played. The second third he was better against Big 12 defenses and the final third he was better still against Big 12 and tournament teams. He was a true freshman adjusting from the high school three point line and pace of game to the college level. He demonstrated improvement and wasn't shooting at a 27% clip by the latter stages of the season and that includes going 0-3 against Wisky.
He is not a good shooter and it won’t get much better unless he changes his shooting mechanics. He had an incredible night against LSU but that was an anomaly not his usual self.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
First 5 games from 3
50%, 16%, 0%, 33%, 75%
Last 5 games
25%, 25%, 63%, 0%, 25%

So yeah post his progression behind the arc. What are you even talking about?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Guys, TH is really good. It’s a big loss no matter how you want to slice and dice his stats. It’s obvious if you watch the games, that’s all you have to do. He’s a fighter, he makes plays on defense, he’s growing i. To his offensive game (he averaged double figures as a freshman in the Big 12 with a good non-con schedule).

Just take the L on him and move on.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Man, you’re absolutely right.

Top 40, borderline 5 star, recruits just never get any better.
I said ‘not much better”. He does certain things well but shooting is not one of them. He has bad shooting mechanics and when he misses, it usually is not even close

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I went and calculated his 3 pt percentage over the season. I split the season into 5 parts. He played in 35 games, so each chunk listed below is a 7 game stretch.

25%

11.11%

25%

29.17%

39.39%

Now obviously his last number includes his game he blew up in vs LSU, which was his best game all season. If you remove that game, and his worst percentage game in that stretch 0-3 vs wisconsin, he still shot 31.58%, which was an improvement.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Guys, TH is really good. It’s a big loss no matter how you want to slice and dice his stats. It’s obvious if you watch the games, that’s all you have to do. He’s a fighter, he makes plays on defense, he’s growing i. To his offensive game (he averaged double figures as a freshman in the Big 12 with a good non-con schedule).

Just take the L on him and move on.
No, he should become really good. He was okay last year.

Not all Big 12. An inefficient double figures guy on high volume and minutes.

In regards to whether we can replicate or improve on last year, what Hunter should develop into is no longer relevant. Only what he was in 2021-22 matters.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Most likely he won’t. A good shooter doesn’t miss like he did last year
Plenty of players develop into good shooters.

I know we think all kids work equally hard to become good shooters, but it’s not unusual for guys that could get to the rim at will at lower levels develop their shooting once they need more skills in college or pros

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer