Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I mean this honestly-- why Purdue? I thought it was pretty clear he was going to the highest bidder. Is Purdue some kind of big player in that market?

Louisville I get-- they are pretty basketball enthused and I could see them having donors that will pony up. Gonzaga also falls in that category with Creighton, Georgetown, etc. of schools that don't have to support football so they can go big on basketball. But is Purdue really in a better position NIL-wise than us?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I mean this honestly-- why Purdue? I thought it was pretty clear he was going to the highest bidder. Is Purdue some kind of big player in that market?

Louisville I get-- they are pretty basketball enthused and I could see them having donors that will pony up. Gonzaga also falls in that category with Creighton, Georgetown, etc. of schools that don't have to support football so they can go big on basketball. But is Purdue really in a better position NIL-wise than us?

If they have wealthy donors who are willing to play the game, then yes, they could be.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Based on Cyclonefanatic threads?

I guess I've just never heard anything from anyone indicating he wasn't happy here. I guess I could be wrong but if there were other reasons I'd imagine they'd have made their way out by now.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Because obviously they have indicated they are willing to pay the price. Why aren’t people grasping this concept?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

The short answer to the question, "Is [insert school here] in a better position pay for play, I mean, NIL than ISU?" is always going to be yes.

The only reason good programs are in the conversation is because there's a correlation with good basketball and who's willing to pony up dollars. Or sorry, who has the best "NIL opportunities." It's not a perfect correlation - as the opportunities here are much worse than our basketball program following and history would suggest.

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006
I guess I've just never heard anything from anyone indicating he wasn't happy here. I guess I could be wrong but if there were other reasons I'd imagine they'd have made their way out by now.
They have. It has been mentioned he didn't like our offense and pace of play.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
I figured a deal was already in place when he left just because of how abrupt it was.

Zaga is good but those other spots aren't crazy upgrades.
From what Pollard said, he has a deal with an agency. (Agency paying TH and TH will eventually have to pay them back) So technically a "deal" was already in place just not with a specific school yet.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I understand people's angst about Tyrese Hunter leaving. He is the highest profile player to transfer out since Wesley Johnson. But people need to move on and look forward.

I have no idea if NIL was the driving force behind Tyrese's decision to leave or if it was style-of-player, team fit or whatever. But it doesn't really matter. And it isn't a good look for people to try to diminish his accomplishments AS A CYCLONE. He had a great freshman year. By no means was he perfect, but he co-led (as a frosh) the Cyclones to a Sweet 16 berth! Arguably he had the best freshman season of a Cyclone player since Jeff Grayer (sure you could argue Fizer, but that was a BAD team).

We may never know what NIL money he is making, but my guess is 90%+ people on this board would have left ISU for a similar offer. It's just the reality of college hoops in 2022. Tyrese leaving ISU is no different than you or me leaving a job after only a year or two because we got a better offer.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I figured a deal was already in place when he left just because of how abrupt it was.

Zaga is good but those other spots aren't crazy upgrades.
I would guess a common process is one that might take some time:
- Player's camp gets in touch with a few schools to see what might be out there in terms of $.
- Based on that, player decides to put his name in the portal
- Lots of discussions between player's camp and those paying the money
- Probably some wheeling and dealing between the player's camp and the suitors

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would guess a common process is one that might take some time:
- Player's camp gets in touch with a few schools to see what might be out there in terms of $.
- Based on that, player decides to put his name in the portal
- Lots of discussions between player's camp and those paying the money
- Probably some wheeling and dealing between the player's camp and the suitors

And all the while Tyrese is trying to keep his grades up. My guess is a school's NIL bag man is going to want to make sure Tyrese will be eligible at his next school. So that might have to wait for 7-10 days until ISU's spring semester grades are out.

It might be a little different for a true freshman like Tyrese vs. an upperclassman.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
And all the while Tyrese is trying to keep his grades up. My guess is a school's NIL bag man is going to want to make sure Tyrese will be eligible at his next school. So that might have to wait for 7-10 days until ISU's spring semester grades are out.

It might be a little different for a true freshman like Tyrese vs. an upperclassman.
I'm not sure how eligibility works with transfers. Considering the ease of remote classes these days, and how infrequently it seems academic ineligibility is a story I'm going to guess the grades thing is not an issue.

Not to mention my experience of tutoring back in the Floyd days suggests if you can walk and breathe at the same time you will be able to stay eligible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron