Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I said until Covid hit. I cut back on expenditures when Covid hit. I was affected. My kids and grandkids were affected as well financially. So yes, I stopped donating and did not buy tickets. My Family is more important. And after Prohm’s last year when I could not even watch it was so terrible I found I could survive without basketball. Because what Prohm gave us wasn’t even basketball. There are things far more important to me than Iowa State Basketball. Those things are given priority with my limited supply of money and resources.
Then why are you complaining about the new reality of NIL?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not sure it will affect the competitive balance that much. If a school takes Hunter, they have to NOT take someone else, who will then be available to the ISUs of the world. The elite schools have always gotten the most highly rated recruits. The poor coaches now have to recruit their entire team every year rather than just 3 or 4 players.
I think it will be interesting and kinda comical if a mid-major ends up with 'several' big time players that came due to big NIL deals. Who knows, there could be some rich boosters lead a group out there that might try it. I hope to see it happen if they allow the rule-less stuff now, and they beat a blue blood. Obviously, I realistically would rather rules get put in and get this back to a name, image, & likeness because an athlete did some commercials for Ford instead of buying players.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think it will be interesting and kinda comical if a mid-major ends up with 'several' big time players that came due to big NIL deals. Who knows, there could be some rich boosters lead a group out there that might try it. I hope to see it happen if they allow the rule-less stuff now, and they beat a blue blood. Obviously, I realistically would rather rules get put in and get this back to a name, image, & likeness because an athlete did some commercials for Ford instead of buying players.

Western Kentucky has been on this for awhile now.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I realize this is such a random thought, but you wonder what meaning it will have for a college basketball analyst to say, "he's such a good recruiter". Now it will be, he's so good at tapping into the resources available to him". lol

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
How do you know the staff knew he wasn't super happy? Have not heard that anywhere.
There is all kinds of social media out there. Plus a couple of DFW Alumni Association folks had some personal insights.

Tyrese isn’t a 4 year player. So they had hoped that with an offense built around his gifts, that he would stick it out

But kids he knew were telling him what they were getting.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I think you're going to see several teams that are today considered "middle of the road" MBB programs have a much better chance going forward. Those schools that have been competitive but have been a couple tiers below the top dogs but have very wealthy donors. Think Arkansas, Alabama, Houston, Oklahoma State, Northwestern, Florida State, USC, Oregon, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Auburn, etc. You might get an occasional small school putting all their chips on a single player, but the price doesn't yet allow much of that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I know you find this funny 1969, but I personally have turned down jobs with higher salaries because of things like living environment, and work culture.

I don't mean to be a **** here but I'm a 40 year old man and I've made that choice.

When I was 18 years old I roofed and built grain bins for like 9 bucks an hour, and a couple thousand would have made it an easy choice.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I really don't understand the argument that college athletes are/were living in poverty. Certainly not more so than other college students (or more than they would have been). I was good friends with a woman's basketball player when I was in school, and she had everything she needed - housing, money for food, clothes, shoes...

Now sure, if you grew up poor, you weren't getting a free car or whatever (and I suppose food during summer break), but they wouldn't have had that anyway.

If I'm missing some angle, I'm happy to listen. They don't have time to get an extra job perhaps, but what do they need the job for? They're getting through college with zero debt.

I lived that life and I don't get it either.

the whole Shabaz Napier thing about not having enough food to eat and going hungry blows my mind. As an athlete you get 3 training table meals a day for free, these are buffet style and have a lot more variety and selection than the regular University food service. We regularly took extra back to our dorms/apartments with us. Not to mention he (Shabaz) should have been getting a full Pell Grant which is was probably approx $5k that he could have used for food.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

the whole Shabaz Napier thing about not having enough food to eat and going hungry blows my mind. As an athlete you get 3 training table meals a day for free, these are buffet style and have a lot more variety and selection than the regular University food service. We regularly took extra back to our dorms/apartments with us. Not to mention he (Shabaz) should have been getting a full Pell Grant which is was probably approx $5k that he could have used for food.
I thought the Majerus refrigerator was metaphorical. Shabaz did seem to be talking about a tournament location, so maybe he didn't have money there. But wouldn't they get a stipend for road trips?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

That was only a little bit more believable than JorBo stealing the NCAA rug to demonstrate how unfairly NCAA athletes were treated.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I thought the Majerus refrigerator was metaphorical. Shabaz did seem to be talking about a tournament location, so maybe he didn't have money there. But wouldn't they get a stipend for road trips?

Not sure about tournament locations but the bowl games took care of all our food needs - teams meals and snacks

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It’s been 20+ years, but I got a food stipend at tournament games… and I was in the pep band. I’d suspect they were well taken care of.

Reactions: VeloClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Do the training table meals count as the meal plan? Or is that just something the AD provides and the athletes get the value of the meal plan as cash off the scholarship?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe he got the Wadley Kirk Ferentz treatment of turning off his card.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
The coaches, universities, and TV networks are making millions. It's not unreasonable for the players who are generating all that money to be able to go home for holidays and have a car and be able to go out once in a while.
I get the thought process - I do. But who is really responsible for the making of millions? Is it the players or those marketing and broadcasting the product? Think about it - if everyone was 20% worse at basketball, would we still watch? Maybe if they produce it right. I mean they've got us watching amateurs doing poorly at lots of things (and usually call it reality TV). I know the players think they are super valuable. But are they...? And aside from that, I work for a company making billions. I'm sure I could justify in my mind that I deserve more. Anyone working should lead to more revenue than they cost (obviously). I'm not sure what numbers are fair or how you justify your income exactly.

Also, at the end of the day, I again don't begrudge Tyrese for leaving. Given the circumstances, he probably made the right choice. I just don't like the changes to the system...but that's a me problem, and I have to decide how I'm going to support the sport going forward. NIL contributions or no (that's a no for me)...adjusted expectations for our team (maybe?)...etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron