Tyrese Hunter Entering the Transfer Portal - NIL Speculation

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
NIL has changed the transfer situation. You really do not understand how the “process“ works.

I think everybody is very clear on how it works. The transfer situation now is what it is and ISU didn't establish a collective in the fall like other schools did so now we have no chance to hang on to him. That's the reality of the situation, process, or whatever you want to call it works. We need to get on board or this will keep happening. Am I missing something?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
If ISU doesn’t adapt to the changes we are going to get left behind. That’s why I will donate to NIL, and I believe we should have at least tried to keep Hunter if the price was reasonable.

Instead what we did is establish ourselves as a no pay school, which does nothin to help a second year head coach trying to establish a trajectory for his new program.
I disagree 100%. The rationale for NIL was that a business which can receive an economic benefit from associating themselves with a player or team should be able to pay a player or players for that association. If a consortium of fans raises money, they're receiving no economic benefit; they're just paying the players. So we have a professional league.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How many times in NCAA MBB a team in the best conference gone to the sweet 16 had their best returning player transfer away?

We aren't even the only team it happened to this year, St. Peter's lost almost all of their top players. Qunicy Guerrier was Syracuse's second leading scorer and leading rebounder and he transferred off of their sweet 16 team last year to Oregon.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Wouldn't it be more obvious that money was involved if he went to a non-blue blood? People have wanted to play for teams like UNC, Duke, Kansas etc (Texas is not a blue blood) forever.

Can players now not leave after committing at all, or they just can't go to blue blood schools, or they can't go anywhere if we think they're not leaving for the right reason?

We've certainly taken in our fair share of transfers from other schools.

I don't think it would be more obvious because there are schools (Arkansas) that aren't bluebloods and have some big time donors/alum that will pony up the money. UNC is reportedly set to pay Bacot north of 1Mil for him to return to school. The blue bloods will have more money to give to these players. The playing field is going to be so narrow because only a handful of schools can come up with the funds to get the best players. You'll have teams (probably blue bloods) with a whole new roster year after year if this continues.

Players can leave after committing, sure. They can go to blue bloods or anywhere for that fact. But you can't sit there and say what went down with Hunter isn't fishy. When things are going well after the season and he's happy and plans to return and then all of a sudden he's hitting the transfer market. But it's going to become more and more obvious if they're leaving for money.

We have taken our fair share of transfers and we're going to continue to take our fair share of transfers. Our transfers are going to become guys from smaller conferences though. We aren't going to be able to pay some of these transfers from P5 schools.

If NIL is around back when we started the whole transfer deal, we aren't probably getting the likes of Royce White, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Chris Allen.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes we got to enjoy a very good year. He was the best player on our team and the center of our plans for next year, so we're disappointed. We will move on with a new group of players to cheer for next year. BUT, for the players, college should be about getting an education and, for the elite players, preparing themselves for the pros. I don't believe players moving around all the time helps advance those goals, nor does it help them become better men. In most cases, NIL money shouldn't be a major factor in such decisions.

Your name is at odds with your comment here.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I don't think it would be more obvious because there are schools (Arkansas) that aren't bluebloods and have some big time donors/alum that will pony up the money. UNC is reportedly set to pay Bacot north of 1Mil for him to return to school. The blue bloods will have more money to give to these players. The playing field is going to be so narrow because only a handful of schools can come up with the funds to get the best players. You'll have teams (probably blue bloods) with a whole new roster year after year if this continues.

Players can leave after committing, sure. They can go to blue bloods or anywhere for that fact. But you can't sit there and say what went down with Hunter isn't fishy. When things are going well after the season and he's happy and plans to return and then all of a sudden he's hitting the transfer market. But it's going to become more and more obvious if they're leaving for money.

We have taken our fair share of transfers and we're going to continue to take our fair share of transfers. Our transfers are going to become guys from smaller conferences though. We aren't going to be able to pay some of these transfers from P5 schools.

If NIL is around back when we started the whole transfer deal, we aren't probably getting the likes of Royce White, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Chris Allen.
I'm not sure it will affect the competitive balance that much. If a school takes Hunter, they have to NOT take someone else, who will then be available to the ISUs of the world. The elite schools have always gotten the most highly rated recruits. The poor coaches now have to recruit their entire team every year rather than just 3 or 4 players.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
NIL has changed the transfer situation. You really do not understand how the “process“ works.
But you’ve already said you aren’t going to be part of the solution, and aren’t really contributing now

So complaining about it is unnecessary, since you’re not going to be involved

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclad

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'm not sure it will affect the competitive balance that much. If a school takes Hunter, they have to NOT take someone else, who will then be available to the ISUs of the world. The elite schools have always gotten the most highly rated recruits. The poor coaches now have to recruit their entire team every year rather than just 3 or 4 players.

Not sure how much "recruiting" will take place when you can counter with $$.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I disagree 100%. The rationale for NIL was that a business which can receive an economic benefit from associating themselves with a player or team should be able to pay a player or players for that association. If a consortium of fans raises money, they're receiving no economic benefit; they're just paying the players. So we have a professional league.

Yeah, but all the "fans" have to do is form a charity or what not, and have the player promote the charity on social media or the radio. Bam. $500,000 in their bank account. Big boosters care nothing about economic benefit.

Dirty as all get out.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

White, Lucious and I think Allen all had legal or disciplinary issues that probably helped keep other schools away, we took chances on them and it paid off.

And let's not pretend like people weren't already getting paid before NIL, it's not like we went from a system where nobody was getting paid to play basketball to what we have now.

Did we just feel better about it when it wasn't talked about?

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Your name is at odds with your comment here.
Not at all. I appreciate Rick Majerus' analogy about players having empty refrigerators compared to his. I hope ISU has some sort of clearinghouse to arrange NIL agreements so players don't have to live in poverty. But NIL deals shouldn't be the determining factor in where to go to school because there are bigger things at stake. Unless you actually are getting high six figures or more, but I dont think those deals are all that common

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Not at all. I appreciate Rick Majerus' analogy about players having empty refrigerators compared to his. I hope ISU has some sort of clearinghouse to arrange NIL agreements so players don't have to live in poverty. But NIL deals shouldn't be the determining factor in where to go to school because there are bigger things at stake. Unless you actually are getting high six figures or more, but I dont think those deals are all that common
They have empty refrigerators because they eat out every day.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
White, Lucious and I think Allen all had legal or disciplinary issues that probably helped keep other schools away, we took chances on them and it paid off.

And let's not pretend like people weren't already getting paid before NIL, it's not like we went from a system where nobody was getting paid to play basketball to what we have now.

Did we just feel better about it when it wasn't talked about?

Oh I agree with that-- of course they were getting paid.

But now it's guys who maybe don't necessarily deserve it or deserve what they're getting value wise. You had the top top guys getting paid, sure. Now, you're going to have the top top guys, the top guys, and hell even the guys that aren't 4/5 stars.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Yeah, but all the "fans" have to do is form a charity or what not, and have the player promote the charity on social media or the radio. Bam. $500,000 in their bank account. Big boosters care nothing about economic benefit.

Dirty as all get out.
It's like the eternal "cowpath" debate at ISU. I was firmly in the camp of "The cowpath may be there anyway, but I'm not going to walk on it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Oh I agree with that-- of course they were getting paid.

But now it's guys who maybe don't necessarily deserve it or deserve what they're getting value wise. You had the top top guys getting paid, sure. Now, you're going to have the top top guys, the top guys, and hell even the guys that aren't 4/5 stars.
Do we know that it was only the top top players that were getting paid before? I guess we'll see how it plays out but I don't see why all of a sudden people would start paying 3 star guys if they weren't doing it before, just because NIL is accepted now.

If they were fine paying 5 star guys before, wouldn't they have also been fine paying 3 star guys, if what you're saying is true?

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
So since he stayed this last year he cannot transfer out, or he can but we're then justified in being upset with him?

What if he was a TJ recruit initially and he got done with his freshman year and was like this isn't for me, it's not what I thought it'd be, I don't want to do this for the next 2 or 3 years?

bait2.gif

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Do we know that it was only the top top players that were getting paid before? I guess we'll see how it plays out but I don't see why all of a sudden people would start paying 3 star guys if they weren't doing it before, just because NIL is accepted now.

If they were fine paying 5 star guys before, wouldn't they have also been fine paying 3 star guys, if what you're saying is true?

It wasn't necessarily legal when they were doing it. I mean, look at the FBI deal. (Will Wade). So it wasn't going to be as wide spread because teams/coaches didn't want to get caught.

Now that it's legal, not through the school, you can sure bet there are going to be 3/4/5 star guys all across the country asking for something.