2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The odds of this guy being another Beverly is probably 50/50. The odds off this guy being another Cato? 1/100?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Floyd saw potential in Cato. This kid's highlight tape oozes potential, athleticism and solid mid range. Is it 15th overall pick potential? Probably not but just like the NBA I'd rather add a guy with mega potential than one without but big production in a lesser league.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Couple highlights and stats for some of the guys listed above:

ISU‘s front court got assaulted several games this year. Getting Gainey would help prevent that from happening again. Don’t really care about his scoring. Gainey would get rebounds, play great defense, and keep other teams from murdering ISU on the inside.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Floyd saw potential in Cato. This kid's highlight tape oozes potential, athleticism and solid mid range. Is it 15th overall pick potential? Probably not but just like the NBA I'd rather add a guy with mega potential than one without but big production in a lesser league.

We only have 13 scholarships to take shots with. History suggests the odds of low major transfers being major contributors at the P6 level is very small. The odds of an unproductive player at the low major level contributing is even smaller. That's not saying it can't happen, but for every low major transfer that ends up being a good player, you have 9-10 or more that do nothing.

Have we had a successful low major transfer since Cato, 30 years ago? We've had a couple good mid-major transfers (Kane and Nader) who were MAJOR contributors at those schools.

If we have a scholarship open at the end of the recruiting cycle and no other options I'd take a player like that. That's the only time it's worth the risk.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jeff Beverly averaged 15.8 ppg at UTSA.

The odds of this guy being another Beverly is probably 50/50. The odds off this guy being another Cato? 1/100?

It is very rare a low major transfers to a P5 school and makes a big impact.
LOL Gainey is a lot better than J-Bev. He is so much more athletic and actually has a Big 12-ready body. I doubt he's Cato, but he's also 3 inches shorter and probably 40 pounds lighter than Cato was in his playing days at ISU.

Now if you were to say the odds of Gainey being another Darrell Bowie are 50/50, I might agree with that. And I think you sign a guy like that even if that is his ceiling.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
LOL Gainey is a lot better than J-Bev. He is so much more athletic and actually has a Big 12-ready body. I doubt he's Cato, but he's also 3 inches shorter and probably 40 pounds lighter than Cato was in his playing days at ISU.

Now if you were to say the odds of Gainey being another Darrell Bowie are 50/50, I might agree with that. And I think you sign a guy like that even if that is his ceiling.
I hope you're right.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I haven’t watched him play, but Hayden Brown appears to be an undersized, non-shooting power forward. What am I missing?

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I haven’t watched him play, but Hayden Brown appears to be an undersized, non-shooting power forward. What am I missing?
I am hopeful (but not ambitious enough to go look) that someone can link some highlights of him. I am intrigued by his numbers, and I have a hunch is a small-ball 4 or 5 for The Citadel. I think he could fill a role for us next year, especially if the rebounding numbers carry over. In my head I envision him as a guy who can maybe defend multiple positions on defense, grab 5-8 rebound/game, and given his high 2-pt FG % be a guy who can maybe get his own shot in the paint and get some cheap putbacks off of offensive rebounds. I could be way off though.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know about potential. The guy has already played 4 years. If that was his freshman year I would say he has a lot of potential.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We need to land a transfer guy from SCarolina, LSU, Missouri, and whomever else has a coach leaving. Power 5 experience. Although I realize, other than Missouri, those probably arent players that want to come to the Midwest.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

I don't think Cato was 7'0 260 when he played at Iowa Staye

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
ISU‘s front court got assaulted several games this year. Getting Gainey would help prevent that from happening again. Don’t really care about his scoring. Gainey would get rebounds, play great defense, and keep other teams from murdering ISU on the inside.
I've thought for a while that the ideal modern center for what you really need from the position is someone in the Clint Capela mold from his days on the Rockets. I don't think you really need the guy to be a massive threat to score on their own or hit many jump shots, but what you do need is someone who is mobile enough to not get killed defensively in the pick and roll/pop game, someone who can provide some rim protection, and someone who can catch lobs at the rim/be able to clean up some offensive boards.

I know ISU ran a lot of their offense through Conditt and Jones at the high post, but realistically I think that was about the lack of shooting elsewhere more than the anything else. ISU needed to create space somehow and it probably wasn't gonna happen very often from shooting or dribble drives. Provided there's better shooting and ball handling on next year's team/more guys who can be a threat to do something with the ball than just Brockington and Hunter, I think guys like Coleman or Gainey would be awesome gets.

Help Support Us

Become a patron