2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Not sure if this is a guy we want. Center but only 6'9. One game against high major teams(Xavier) and he didn't do so hot either. Still though, the numbers aint bad and he is also just a freshman

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Here are some highlights of the guys listed:

Hayden Brown:

Jaylan Gainey:

Ledarrius Brewer:

Brewer seems like a guy that could come in right away and help out the offense a TON.

Brewer might be near the top of my list. Obviously he was really hot that game, but looks like he can score at multiple levels both off the catch, coming off of screens, and off the bounce.

Brown is hard to project, but I like his versatility. He's averaged 19/10 over the past two seasons, and lord knows ISU could use some more capable rebounders basically everywhere on the court. The one question mark for me is how well can his all-around game translate to the B12 against better athletes? Citadel only played a couple P6 opponents and Brown went 19/7 against Pitt and 19/4 against Duke. Overall not a great shooter, but maybe good enough you can't completely sag off?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Not sure if this is a guy we want. Center but only 6'9. One game against high major teams(Xavier) and he didn't do so hot either. Still though, the numbers aint bad and he is also just a freshman

Just realized I dropped this in the wrong thread. Mods delete/move if you wish

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think Cato was 7'0 260 when he played at Iowa Staye
I was probably overzealous with the weight by a bit, but this site has him listed as being 6'11'' 255.

Those measurements are probably from his NBA playing days, so maybe he was skinnier while at ISU.

Reactions: Wally86

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Brewer might be near the top of my list. Obviously he was really hot that game, but looks like he can score at multiple levels both off the catch, coming off of screens, and off the bounce.

Brown is hard to project, but I like his versatility. He's averaged 19/10 over the past two seasons, and lord knows ISU could use some more capable rebounders basically everywhere on the court. The one question mark for me is how well can his all-around game translate to the B12 against better athletes? Citadel only played a couple P6 opponents and Brown went 19/7 against Pitt and 19/4 against Duke. Overall not a great shooter, but maybe good enough you can't completely sag off?
Yeah, Brewer is near the top of my list as well. 35% career 3 point shooter and pretty athletic too.

I like Brown's offensive game, and those stats against Pitt and Duke certainly help. I just wonder how well he would be able to rebound in the B12. He's not exactly an elite athlete. He can score the ball though and we need that right now.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Here are some highlights of the guys listed:

Hayden Brown:

Jaylan Gainey:

Ledarrius Brewer:

Brewer seems like a guy that could come in right away and help out the offense a TON.

Brown plays almost exactly how I imagined and hoped. That 3 pt shot would need a lot of work, or you ask him to be really selective like what they've had to do with Gabe this year.

I stand by what I said earlier, that if he can come in and be versatile and rebound similar to how he has so far in his career, he is absolutely a take.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Brown plays almost exactly how I imagined and hoped. That 3 pt shot would need a lot of work, or you ask him to be really selective like what they've had to do with Gabe this year.

I stand by what I said earlier, that if he can come in and be versatile and rebound similar to how he has so far in his career, he is absolutely a take.

I’m not as smart as the guys on staff, but, from the highlight tape, I cannot see how any aspect of his game would translate into the Big 12. Sub-30% from 3, high-volume shooter, under-sized, and doesn’t appear to be super-athletic. How do those post moves translate when he’s playing Tech? Is he still a rebounding machine outside of the Southern Conference?

If you squint HARD you could maybe see a poor man’s Niang, but if he’s not surrounded by at least 3 shooting threats…

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

I think the big thing with Brown is that he would need to probably accept a smaller role. Ideally, he wouldn't be the #1 option and probably wouldn't shoot nearly as many threes. I don't think he's a surefire elite player, but looks like he could be a fairly skilled do-it-all/glue guy IMO.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I’m not as smart as the guys on staff, but, from the highlight tape, I cannot see how any aspect of his game would translate into the Big 12. Sub-30% from 3, high-volume shooter, under-sized, and doesn’t appear to be super-athletic. How do those post moves translate when he’s playing Tech? Is he still a rebounding machine outside of the Southern Conference?

If you squint HARD you could maybe see a poor man’s Niang, but if he’s not surrounded by at least 3 shooting threats…
Everything you're saying is fair, and I could be way off base.

My personal expectation of him would not be to be the guy for us, but a guy who could maybe be a secondary, but probably even third scoring option. A guy who can play solid defense, crash the glass, and score when we need him to. A guy who can rebound and is comfortable handling the ball a little bit and penetrating a defense is invaluable to a team, as demonstrated by the lack of having a guy like that in Ames this year, outside of 1 or 2 guys. I see him as more of a poor man's Melvin Ejim than Niang.

• Agree

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Everything you're saying is fair, and I could be way off base.

My personal expectation of him would not be to be the guy for us, but a guy who could maybe be a secondary, but probably even third scoring option. A guy who can play solid defense, crash the glass, and score when we need him to. A guy who can rebound and is comfortable handling the ball a little bit and penetrating a defense is invaluable to a team, as demonstrated by the lack of having a guy like that in Ames this year, outside of 1 or 2 guys. I see him as more of a poor man's Melvin Ejim than Niang.
At least from what I've seen, he looks comfortable having the ball in his hands and making something happen with it. That's a massive need over the off-season IMO. A lot of guys currently just don't appear comfortable with the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I was probably overzealous with the weight by a bit, but this site has him listed as being 6'11'' 255.

Those measurements are probably from his NBA playing days, so maybe he was skinnier while at ISU.
I heard a story (think it was Heft) that KC came in to ISU measuring 7' but he specifically asked to be listed under 7' feet because he didn't want the pressure that came with being a 7 footer.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I heard a story (think it was Heft) that KC came in to ISU measuring 7' but he specifically asked to be listed under 7' feet because he didn't want the pressure that came with being a 7 footer.
I know I heard the same thing about Kevin Garnett in the NBA, same with KD not having been measured since his rookie year. It's interesting that apparently multiple guys have done that.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Think I like Brewer. He can very much create his own 3pt shots, which is something only Brockington and maybe Hunter can do on the team right now. Just that alone has me interested