Cyclone History, 1983

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I remember watching that game.

Barry Stevens with today's pace and space -- he'd score them by the bushel. So twitch-quick and he had range and a quick release.

That was Hornacek's freshman year and kind of the first game that made it look like Orr's teams would be able to beat some quality opponents (IIRC).

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Definitely wish I had been there. Responsibilities definitely had me busy elsewhere on campus.

Ronnie Virgil, what a blast from the past. Tried staying in front of him in transition while playing pick up ball in state gym. Gave him two steps space and he was still past me before I could react. Dude had major fast twitch. It was funny watching him dunk over one of iowas seven footers. No way he was the 6’4” he was listed at.
Great memory was driving east on Lincoln stopping at the Beach signal light looking over and seeing Virgil in the crossing. Yelled "Iceman" and he air high-fived me.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Roll call to those attending that game. My wife and I were there up in section nose bleed 232. My ears were ringing and I still could not believe we won with the likes of Falenschek.

I was there. I believe that was the game they were shooting off the cap guns because Sunvold had a gun accident.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Thanks for that. That was nice! I wish we could have heard Johnny at the end of that game.

Next best thing, here's some Johnny Orr and ISU highlights. This ISU-MO game is near the beginning:

And same video, I stooped it at the greeting line, I think after the Lafester Rhodes big Iowa game. Looks like an Iowa assistant coach sort of attacked Orr!

Does anyone know if Johnny really wanted to retire or if the AD refused to extend his contract? That interview really didn’t look like a guy that wanted to retire. You know he loved it here because he stuck around.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Does anyone know if Johnny really wanted to retire or if the AD refused to extend his contract? That interview really didn’t look like a guy that wanted to retire. You know he loved it here because he stuck around.
This interview, or another I watched recently, I think suggested Johnny might have wanted to stay another year or two but was then for sure going to retire. He said in the interview that he did it in part for the incoming recruits and coach to be, so they could have their coach for their full 4-5 years.

I could be wrong but I don't think the AD (can't remember who the AD was around Johnny's retirement in '94) would have not extended him if he wanted to continue.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This interview, or another I watched recently, I think suggested Johnny might have wanted to stay another year or two but was then for sure going to retire. He said in the interview that he did it in part for the incoming recruits and coach to be, so they could have their coach for their full 4-5 years.

I could be wrong but I don't think the AD (can't remember who the AD was around Johnny's retirement in '94) would have not extended him if he wanted to continue.
Gene Smith was the AD.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I have no doubt that Gene would have pushed Johnny out if he wanted him out. I can't say for sure that is what happened but Gene could be pretty ruthless. At the time we got the impression that Johnny was pushed out, but we had no proof of it.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

cyclonejaybee

Jun 13, 2006
I was there. Right on the baseline on the opposite end. The storming of the court was pretty spontaneous. Someone mentioned the Minnesota game. That was incredible too.

Barry has always been my favorite player and seems like he doesn’t get as much credit as I think he deserves for the turnaround of Iowa State basketball. Grayer was a better all around player but Barry was the start. If the 3pt shot had been in place, those teams would have been quite a bit better with Barry and Hornecek on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and NWICY

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Johnny told me himself that he wanted to stay another year, to coach that group of seniors before he retired.

I heard Johnny speak at a Cyclone Club event. He had been drinking...ok, it is Johnny we are talking about, and I remember him saying something like, "Hell, you sonsabitches would quit too if they offered you what they offered me!"

I remember two personal interactions with Johnny:
1) The night Grayer and Thompkins came to visit, Johnny stopped by the student section to tell us he had important recruits there and he wanted us to make noise. We actually got to go over and shake their hands. Grayer was SO shy.
2) I ran into Johnny at Hy-Vee, and stopped for a quick word, and like everyone he called me "Coach'

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
I was there. Right on the baseline on the opposite end. The storming of the court was pretty spontaneous. Someone mentioned the Minnesota game. That was incredible too.

Barry has always been my favorite player and seems like he doesn’t get as much credit as I think he deserves for the turnaround of Iowa State basketball. Grayer was a better all around player but Barry was the start. If the 3pt shot had been in place, those teams would have been quite a bit better with Barry and Hornecek on the floor.
Lots of great memories of Hilton and Cyclones basketball back then. Started at ISU the year Orr got here. My wife and I were at the Missouri game sitting even with the free throw line where Barry hit his shot. Earlier in the year I had to miss the Minnesota game because one of my professors scheduled an exam that night. What a moron. Got back to Pammel Court in time to watch the end of the game though. My wife was 8 months pregnant the next year at the double OT win against Iowa and we thought she was going to have the baby right there. There was never a better time to be a cyclone.

Reactions: NWICY

PAClone

Oct 25, 2014
I don’t remember if it was this game, but we had great seats about 10 rows behind the Missouri bench. There were 3 very drunk guys right behind us who kept complaining that someone needed to get Norm to sit down. During a time out, we hear the drunk guys wondering where their buddy went. We look down and he is in the Missouri huddle talking to Norm, who didn’t think it was as funny as the rest of us. Drunk guy comes back up and said he asked him nicely to sit down so we could see. Probably can’t get away with that today.