Cyclone History, 1983

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Was a junior in high school, but remember the game well. I agree that the game marked the beginning of Cyclone Magic. Prior to beating Missouri, nobody respected Iowa State basketball.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
For some us student workers in the athletic department, the beginning of Hilton magic started the month before when we beat Minnesota in OT. It was a slightly bigger crowd and I can remember an assistant athletic director commenting about how loud Hilton could get. When we passed out stats late in regulation the SID said"this place is rocking."You could feel the crowd will Ronnie Virgil to out jump Randy Bruer for the tip to start the OT. But definitely the Missouri win put us on the map. Barry stevens was very cool under pressure and you could tell in the locker room after ward that he was the heart and soul of the team.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
My dad had to get up early the next morning, so he missed the last half. When he turned on his radio for the 5:00 news (the news, not sports), CBS led off their newscast with Pete Taylor's call.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Roll call to those attending that game. My wife and I were there up in section nose bleed 232. My ears were ringing and I still could not believe we won with the likes of Falenschek.
Was sitting behind the basket, just to the left of the backboard.

Thirty years later a high school classmate and I figured out that we’d been sitting about ten feet apart, and hadn’t known it. But…who looked around during that game?!!