Hinterland 2022 Speculation Thread

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Music is not a competition, but Billy Strings blows Trampled By Turtles out of the water. They are living bluegrass history.

Billy Strings is easily a better musician, but Dave Simonett is a better songwriter and it's not particularly close. I'm more into great songs than virtuoso musicianship.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Sierra Ferrell is a hidden gem - thoroughly enjoyed her show in DSM last fall at xbk.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Love when this lineup comes out because I inevitably find a couple new artists. Listening to and liking The Texas Gentlemen right now

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
This was my thought three years ago. It won't keep me from going to at least some of it, but it's a little maddening seeing all the Kardashian wannabes strolling in their gold headbands and ridiculous "Couldn't you just totally picture me at Coachella" festivalfits who have zero clue about the music, don't even care about the music, and are just there to be seen and part of a 'scene'. I miss when it was a little more under the radar.
Yeah the scenesters really bum me out. It's like, I'm hear for the love of the music and the experience and your distracting me with your ridiculous peacocking. Anyways can't wait for the festival this year. Thinking about going barefoot, rocking a loincloth, native headdress, and rainbow colored eagles wings with a minimum 10 foot span. Gonna be siiiiiiiick.

Reactions: dirtyninety

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If Phoebe Bridgers wasn't on Sunday I'd be there in a heart beat. Lots of Solid names on here. Friday looks like it's packed with the most "mainstream" names, so imagine that'd be a crazy busy day.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Tre Burt is a great singer songwriter. Not sure if he still is signed with Oh Boy Records, but I know he was one of John Prine's favorite newer singer songwriters.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Solid line up, Jenny Lewis is a good show if you’ve never saw her before.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Why aren't single day passes on sale tomorrow? The FAQ on the website says single day tickets will possibly end up becoming available. I'm going to be so pissed if I can't buy a ticket for Saturday only because I'm not dropping 250 for a 4 day.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Why aren't single day passes on sale tomorrow? The FAQ on the website says single day tickets will possibly end up becoming available. I'm going to be so pissed if I can't buy a ticket for Saturday only because I'm not dropping 250 for a 4 day.

They always wait a few months to sell single passes, in hopes that they can sell out whole-event ones first at the higher rate. I've never seen them NOT sell single-day passes, though, even last year.

Reactions: HitItHard58

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

Five letter word, relax my friend. This thing is 6 months away and you are already talking about being pissed. Angie said it below, too, but even last year they starting selling singles once they got closer.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I figured it wasn't likely single days wouldn't be available but their vague if they become available stuff got in my head. Being the negative pessimistic type, relaxing doesn't come easy. Thanks for attempting to put my mind at ease!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I figured it wasn't likely single days wouldn't be available but their vague if they become available stuff got in my head. Being the negative pessimistic type, relaxing doesn't come easy. Thanks for attempting to put my mind at ease!

I get impatient each year, too. :)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I think this is proof their strategy is working.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We went for the first time on Saturday last year and won’t be going back. The sound absolutely sucked in back because they oversold the venue. We showed up around 1 and had to sit way back but even showing up at one we were still there for like 10 hours. The lines were obscene. Just overall a crappy experience. It didn’t help that Childers kinda sucked too.

• Dumb
Reactions: CychiatricWard

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We went for the first time on Saturday last year and won’t be going back. The sound absolutely sucked in back because they oversold the venue. We showed up around 1 and had to sit way back but even showing up at one we were still there for like 10 hours. The lines were obscene. Just overall a crappy experience. It didn’t help that Childers kinda sucked too.

We always make sure to get to the west side, up a bit on the hillside. Sitting straight back from the stage or to the east absolutely blows because of the neverending flow of people crossing from both ways in front of you.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We always make sure to get to the west side, up a bit on the hillside. Sitting straight back from the stage or to the east absolutely blows because of the neverending flow of people crossing from both ways in front of you.

We were towards the top back by the food stands for awhile but we couldn’t understand anything anyone was saying on stage. The best open seat we could find when we decided to move was down by the sidewalk. We could hear but spent the rest of the show watching people walk up and down the sidewalk.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines

I've been going since it started, and while last year was a bit of a cluster, these responses always make me chuckle. They were coming off a cancelled year the year prior and there were still attendance restrictions at the time they opened tickets. Once things seemed to be settling down COVID wise they opened up a ton more tickets and I believe sold more than they could handle. Was it ideal? No, but they added another day and updated/changed some things to make it better this year. It's quickly becoming the largest and most anticipated festival in Iowa so they are bound to have challenges, but they are addressing these and it will continue to be an amazing experience.

WHAT’S NEW IN 2022?
2022 level up alert. Hinterlanders, we’ve got:
  • More music. We’ve expanded to four days!
  • More parking, with triple the total amount of space from last year.
  • More food vendors – and more space around food vendors.
  • More bathrooms.
  • More staff to help reduce lines.
  • Shuttle service from Des Moines. It’s back!
  • A new layout of all campgrounds.
  • A new structure to all camping pass types.
  • More space for VIP camping and parking, plus VIP food vouchers good for any food vendor and new food vendors inside the VIP area.
  • New and improved Glamping packages.
  • View the updated festival grounds map.

Help Support Us

Become a patron