***Official 2021 Vikings***

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Zimmer was an extremely impatient coach; especially with kickers and OCs. His inability to handle the psychology of kickers was a huge issue on this team. He would openly doubt their ability/call them out for missing, then be shocked when they missed more kicks and looked to be without any confidence. Or, in Carlson's case, cut him after one really bad performance (and after wasting a draft pick on him) only to have him go on a be a fine/stable kicker for LV.

I can't access that article, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn a lot of the offensive problems the last few years were due to Zim, not the OC. If he's a defensive "guru," he should know better than to meddle in the offense. It doesn't matter how good your OC is if the HC won't give him some freedom to run the plays he wants.

I agree with you for the most part with the exception of Carlson. Carlson himself has stated that the reason he has seen success in LV is because he got cut from the Vikings. He took it as a kick in the ass and completely changed his kicking form, resulting in his success at a new location.

The whole situation could have been handled better yes but I doubt any coach was going to ride or die with a rookie kicker who was missing multiple kicks in a year where they had SB hopes.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Tojo1311

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
This is probably one of the "fear-based culture" that Kendrick mentioned. Should players make mistakes at this level? No. Do players make mistakes? Sure. There is a fine line between punishing and asking for accountability.

Yeah count me in the group that thinks the “hard ass” historical stereotype is dying in today’s game. Not that I believe coaches should never yell or push players for improvement, but the line has shifted making the fear of a making a mistake cause more mistakes.

I’m in the contracting business and that attitude towards apprentices and new workers drives me nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I disagree with this more from a Vikings standpoint than a Cyclones standpoint. I’m just not convinced Campbell’s message would work in the NFL.

Agreed. Campbell is a college coach. If goes to the NFL, it won't work well. No one gives a **** about being the best version of yourself at that point.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I disagree with this more from a Vikings standpoint than a Cyclones standpoint. I’m just not convinced Campbell’s message would work in the NFL.

I kind of disagree. Seems like Campbell is player focused, and after listening to Purdy's interview, i think that could work in the NFL. I would imagine 90%+ of the players would buy into that (if it leads to success)

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I kind of disagree. Seems like Campbell is player focused, and after listening to Purdy's interview, i think that could work in the NFL. I would imagine 90%+ of the players would buy into that (if it leads to success)

Forget being a player's coach. CMC's strategy on the field would be nearly identical to Zimmer's. Stack the defense, be conservative on offense, and play it close. Would expect similar results as well. That was exactly how Childress played things. You don't want a defensive minded head coach in the NFL. Modern rules favor the offense too much, as well as the passing game.

Reactions: MeowingCows

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'm glad Zim is gone. I don't think CMC works in the NFL without some major changes. Developing young men is not what the NFL is about. Not that similar methods couldn't be useful but that's not the point. Also, I agree with the Zim similarity and that wouldn't fly very well either. Need a totally new and different personality leading this team and a dif one at QB would go a long way as well.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Oh wow lol is this real?

No, it's Twitter, so you can just make up quotes by people and have the escape hatch by putting "Satire by..." in small print in the bottom left. Or maybe it's OK because this clown didn't close out with quotation marks at the end.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Crazy thought after the games yesterday....Cousins for Jalen Hurts. Philly needs someone who can throw the ball and after he knee capped them, I suspect they might be interested in other options, not to mention they are loaded with draft picks. Hurts isn't a top QB, but I wonder if paired with a decent defense and run game, he would serviceable short term. Plus we need payback for that awful Bradford trade (Thanks Speilman!)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron