Favorite 80s Tunes

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Great topic! Got to give some love to The Pixies. And The Smiths. And Dexy's Midnight Runners. :rofl8yi:

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
She's a Beauty - The Tubes
Stop Draggin My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty'

Just a couple that come to mind.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ooh - "Sister Christian". "MOTORING!!"

I love Tom Petty!

Guilty pleasures - Journey and Styx. "Mr. Roboto" is genius... :)

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
So many to choose from. Great calls so far on the thread. What about "Jack and Diane" from John Cougar (I don't think he had added the Mellencamp yet and I know he had not scrapped the Cougar yet).

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Huey Lewis and the News- The Power of Love (i love the back to the future series) =)

Billy Ocean - going gets tough, carribean queen, lol

Modern English - I melt with you

Duran Duran - all of them

I basically loved most of the music of the 80's

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Any early R.E.M. as well...So. Central Rain comes to mind. Anyone else see them in C.Y. Stephens in the mid 80's?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Ooh - "Sister Christian". "MOTORING!!"

"Don't Tell Me You Love Me" is a much better song! One of the pleasures of having young kids is "spinning tall tales" about what you did in your youth. My kids are 12, 11 & 10, and until recently I had them convinced that I was the lead singer for Night Ranger (Jack Blades) until I left the band to marry their mother!

Nobody has yet mentioned one of my '80's favorites, LOVERBOY! I saw them at the Mississippi Queen in probably 1979, and they were back headlining Hilton (with opening act Donnie Iris) in either '81 or '82. DOA...:laugh8kb:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Any early R.E.M. as well...So. Central Rain comes to mind. Anyone else see them in C.Y. Stephens in the mid 80's?

I *heart* R.E.M. It's later, but "Strange Currencies" was our first dance at our wedding.

Loverboy!! Awesome - good pull!

They kept playing "The Final Countdown" by Europe at the hockey game on Friday night - anyone remember what movie that's from?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I still love MTV's "top five at five" in the 1984-85 era, which almost always included:

Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
Home Sweet Home - Motley Crew, and
Girlschool - Britny Fox

For the metalheads in the crowd, how about "Holy Diver" by Ronnie James Deo and "The Lumberjack Song" by Jesse James Dupree...

For the chicks in the crowd, there's "Always Love You" by Whitney and anything by Michael Jackson, DeBarge or Ready for the World (No Parkin' Baby, No Parkin' on the Dance Floor...)

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"Stranger in Town" by Toto
Any song off of Pink Floyd's 'Momentary Lapse of reason' album
Dead Milkmen's "Punk Rock Girl"
'Time after Time' from Cyndi Lauper
'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler
'Jump' by Van Halen
'Pour some sugar on me' Def Leppard
'The Flame' by Cheap Trick
'Summer of '69' by Bryan Adams
More than a few of the songs off of Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction album

And I end this with 'I wanna be Sedated' by the Ramones.

This list could go on and on.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think we are all forgetting the great Rick Astley. :rolleyes5cz: "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..."

Last edited:

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
'Whenever There's a Night' - Mike Reno
'Toy Soldiers' - Martika
'Meet Me Half Way' - Kenny Loggins
'Home Sweet Home' - the Motley Crue
'Coming Home' - Cinderella

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I never saw REM in Ames. But did see them in Iowa City at Hancher. I think they we're touring behind Fables of the Reconstruction.

Loverboy was in Ames for a show one night when we were eating at Carlos O'Kellys. The singer lit up a joint at the table next to ours.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I've always liked Peter Gabriel. Sledgehammer, Red Rain, Shock the Monkey, I have the Touch. Don't like the overplayed, In Your Eyes, though.

A great 80s song is She Sells Sanctuary by the Cult. Great song!

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Sixteen posts in and nobody has yet mentioned Aerosmith! I'll submit their comeback version of "Walk This Way" with RunDMC. Staying on the bent of duets, how about "What've I Done to Deserve This" by the Pet Shop Boys with Dusty Springfield? Of course that leads me to General Hospital's own Rick Springfield and the Working Class Dog album headed by "Jesse's Girl"...

OK, I've gotta get out of here and do some work...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I love the Beastie Boys. "Paul's Boutique" was genius.

What was everyone's first concert? I went to see Bon Jovi and Cinderella when I was about 9 or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron