*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
This team has had chances to win games this year and every time has failed to execute. There is nothing to prove it would have been different this time.

Bad teams put themselves in a position to magnify a call. There are calls missed all game.

Bad teams get calls in their favor too. problem is because they are bad team the probability of taking advantage of a bad call is also lower
You'll find it amazing that I agree with you here.

Reactions: fsanford and cyputz

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's ok Erik be doesn't like excuses and I'm saying it's the refs faulty. Likely, Erik and I want the same thing.

Erik, I don't like the state of isu basketball any more than you do. I hate the fact that our players look disorganized and it doesn't seem like we outsmart anyone. That disappoints me. I happen to take it out on the refs, some people take it out on the coach, some people take it out on the players. I know I'm not one to rag on players, and I have given way too much leaway to coaches. I can easily see mistakes by officials, so I can them out on it. And just as you are frustrated by my sulence on how our team's execution losses us games, I'm frustrated by many people's incapabilty to see that one or a few bad calls can turn a game. Especially for a team as down as ours.

I do think we are agreeing on one thing. It appears we need a new coach, even if we can't afford it.

Your fixation on taking it out on someone is a nasty tell. This sounds like a pretty deep emotional problem.

I'm not taking it out on anyone or lashing out. I'm simply describing what I see.
If you're describing me as frustrated by your posts, you're projecting the wrong thing. I'm entertained, just like I told you. Heck, I'm darkly entertained by the bad basketball we throw out there. It's one of the more amazing athletic things I've gotten to see.

Reactions: Carltonev

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013

Your fixation on taking it out on someone is a nasty tell. This sounds like a pretty deep emotional problem.

I'm not taking it out on anyone or lashing out. I'm simply describing what I see.
If you're describing me as frustrated by your posts, you're projecting the wrong thing. I'm entertained, just like I told you. Heck, I'm darkly entertained by the bad basketball we throw out there. It's one of the more amazing athletic things I've gotten to see.
Hi Erik, you are right, I wasn't talking to you specifically in that post. I got attacked for sticking up for the players and I wrapped you into that conversation. It was a mistake. Egging me on about my calling out officiating is ok because you are not complaining about anything here. Unlike some others who continuously complain about the coach or the players. I will be more careful not to wrap you up in my argument against those that put the players down.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Prohm is a tried and true pace and space offensive coach. Wants great freedom offensively and with a great PG to push the ball, pressure the rim and hit opener shooters would be his choice and makes this offensive work (see Cannan, Payne,Morris, Babb, Hali), unfortunately this year we have no PG or shooters. He’s been known for having great PGs, but his lack of one (either behind Halliburton last year) or this year is likely going to cost him this gig. Hunter is a year too late.

that’s fine, but that’s not a system or an offensive philosophy, You can’t run ball screen every time down the floor.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Man Tcu is bad, I mean that’s a really poor basketball team. And we can’t beat them. I’m feeling sad tonight for the guys, Solomon stuck it out here despite what was a really bad situation. Just hate to see him go out like that.
He’s been really bad though too so I’m not sure he’s had a ton of other grad transfer options

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Maybe Wayne can give Steve some pointers on how to react to a bad call

this has always baffled me about Prohm, his simple refusal to work refs, he just sits there and let’s his guys take it...I don’t get it, working refs is part of the job, good coaches earn a call or two which can help win a game...but Prohm just sits there. Never understood it.

I sat behind coach k once, and also bill self, those guys are relentless, it’s impressive really

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You want the coach and the players to get everything right, why not the officials?
That was a horrible call but what exactly did Prohm do to get in the refs ear that he's not going to putup with inept officiating like that?

Maybe try getting a technical every once in awhile to show you have your teams back. Once every 3 months I see him pull down his mask and maybe yell something at the refs.

The guy has been standing on the sideline like a scared child for 6 years now, refusing to stick up for his team against the refs, refusing to hold any players accountable for mistakes 5th grade girls don't make. Why do you think he's getting destroyed now by every other coach in this league. Just being a nice guy isn't going to cut it.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
this has always baffled me about Prohm, his simple refusal to work refs, he just sits there and let’s his guys take it...I don’t get it, working refs is part of the job, good coaches earn a call or two which can help win a game...but Prohm just sits there. Never understood it.

I sat behind coach k once, and also bill self, those guys are relentless, it’s impressive really
Even Fred was laid back but relentless in his own way. Prohm on the other hand sees that out of bound issue and says they must have had a better angle even though his entire team had their arms up confused

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I remember a lot of Chiefs fans being like this on the Pioli/Haley/Cassel era. I’m glad we flied the Scott Pioli banner. I’m glad fans wanting the best for the team led to Reid/Mahomes/Super Bowls.

Pussies like you are what leads to Prohm being retained, and Iowa State continuing to lose.
There's no rational explanation for keeping a coach that anyone of us on this board could have achieved the exact same results this year if we were the coach. Absolutely none.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
That was a horrible call but what exactly did Prohm do to get in the refs ear that he's not going to putup with inept officiating like that?

Maybe try getting a technical every once in awhile to show you have your teams back. Once every 3 months I see him pull down his mask and maybe yell something at the refs.

The guy has been standing on the sideline like a scared child for 6 years now, refusing to stick up for his team against the refs, refusing to hold any players accountable for mistakes 5th grade girls don't make. Why do you think he's getting destroyed now by every other coach in this league. Just being a nice guy isn't going to cut it.
I will agree. His approach is better than mine would be. Killing someone over a basketball game is typically frowned upon. However, did he not put up a bit of a fuss with the official right when it happened and then again at the time out where the official pulled his masked down to talk with him sideways. Then directly after that just before play resumed also take a bit of time to "talk" with the baseline official, pointing at the official that missed the call? It appears to me to be him doing something, not Bill Self quality, but he wasn't just cowering. Larry would have had 73 expletives off before the dude would have known what hit him, but he also would have gotten a T and taken a bad trending situation and added 2 more points to it.

I THOUGHT he was doing something about it, maybe I misread his "working" for quoting bible verses to them?

I can tell you I would have handled it differently, I definitely would have gotten my pound of flesh, but I would have gotten a T, maybe 2 and that is something this team in particular can't handle; 4 points they had no chance of defending against.

And I agree, we don't need a nice guy, we need a coach. If they could be the same guy, I'd be all for it. But, nice only carries you so far. I do wish him luck wherever he ends up. He's a nice guy,

• Winner
Reactions: socalcy

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Even Fred was laid back but relentless in his own way. Prohm on the other hand sees that out of bound issue and says they must have had a better angle even though his entire team had their arms up confused
Did he say they had a better angle? I didn't catch that. Wow!

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Prohm looks like the last 6 years has aged him 40 years. Guy has to get out of here, he looks awful. This has to be horrible on his health.

I have to say though, for the most part the players have conducted themselves quite well despite a horrible situation.

These guys are better than o-18. Bolton can play, JCL would be a great piece on a better team, Harris could give you a few minutes, Solomon can play offensively in the post, and Conditt could be a good rim runner type. It’s not a great team because it’s missing obvious things, but it’s not this bad. No reason they couldn’t win 5 or 6 Big 12 games.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Prohm needs to go away or say bye bye to the future/ money in ticket sales/excitement. Figure it out for ***** sake.