What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Anyone think Jerome Tang is worth a look? Or just me. I like the P5 and recruiting experience and results.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Great point. And older teams with experienced guys who have played together tend to get out of those funks faster. When you are young and no real established older core...you get valleys that run weeks.

A good coach can also sense this and take the reins to get guys in a position to get an easy shot and bump you out of those funks. You have to have gimmie plays in your pocket that you know can get you a bucket. With a team like ours, coaches really have to get ahead of this happening. You can't just stick to your guns and hope you'll shoot your way out of it. Not knowing when his team needs him is our coaches biggest flaw.

Reactions: ATCy

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I asked this question last year too. What in the hell do they work on in practice/film sessions? Character Counts lessons? Dead serious.

I realize this was only a tiny window into a regular practice, so probably unfair, but i'll say it anyway. Last season ISU put out a video of a Prohm locker room speech. At one point he told the team that they needed to get better at rebounding. He asked the team, "What are we going to do about it?" His question was met with silence. He then changed the subject.

My assumption was that he revealed the answer in practice. But it remains unclear....;)

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
I realize this was only a tiny window into a regular practice, so probably unfair, but i'll say it anyway. Last season ISU put out a video of a Prohm locker room speech. At one point he told the team that they needed to get better at rebounding. He asked the team, "What are we going to do about it?" His question was met with silence. He then changed the subject.

My assumption was that he revealed the answer in practice. But it remains unclear....;)

Hines was allowed to observe a practice shortly before the Florida A&M game last year. His article matches what you described above. Prohm is in way over his head.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
One of the things I can't stand about Prohm's teams the last few years is that they are horrible screeners.

I've found myself watching games (back when I could stomach it) and asking myself what we do that I feel we're even marginally decent at. In other words, what do we do on the court that I CAN stand.

1. Rebound? Nope, get trashed pretty much every game, and give up countless boards where the guy comes crashing in untouched.
2. Defend? Nope, we give up a ton of easy baskets, and at some point guys going off for career nights against us stops being a coincidence or bad luck.
3. Shoot? Nope, I mean we get hot once in a while but short of some insanely talented guys coming through while Prohm has been here, we're not a good shooting program
4. Create our own shot? Nope. Dribble for 25 seconds and force up something contested, or jack up a three 8 seconds into the shot clock.
5. Out of bounds plays? Nope. Just hope to get the ball inbounds so we can revert to bullet point 4, or take the 5 second call coming out of a timeout.
6. Defend out of bounds plays? Nope
7. Run an offense? See bullet point #4
8. Adjust to the guy that's killing us, or take advantage of a favorable matchup on our part? Nope, see Purdue NCAA game in '17.
9. Play an entertaining brand of basketball? Nope, basically unwatchable, no matter how much I love my alma mater.

I'm never going to claim to be John Wooden, but I've watched a TON of CBB through the years. I like watching good coaches try to outduel each other. Love him or (mostly) hate him, a Bill Self vs. Chris Beard type of game is awesome to watch as a casual viewer. A good inbounds play when you really need a bucket. A quick switch from man to zone to throw off an offense's rhythm. Hell, a timeout when the OTHER team has momentum, not after your team makes a 3. I can live with losing, but Prohm has completely sucked the enjoyment out of something that, save the last couple McDoormat years, has been appointment viewing during winter weeks for me for the last 30+ years. It's really freaking sad.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm curious about how much time the guys spend at the facility working on their craft outside of practice. I remember seeing posts from guys like Monte and Naz putting in work after hours and sometimes immediately after games. They did have the team out in West Ames close to Sukup during their time here, and have since moved them over east of Jack Trice, so I wonder if that deters guys from going to put shots up.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I'm curious about how much time the guys spend at the facility working on their craft outside of practice. I remember seeing posts from guys like Monte and Naz putting in work after hours and sometimes immediately after games. They did have the team out in West Ames close to Sukup during their time here, and have since moved them over east of Jack Trice, so I wonder if that deters guys from going to put shots up.

That would be good to know, I don’t hear that guys are getting extra work in. Usually those comments surface from coaches in various forums, but didn’t hear much over the last couple of years.

Granted, Covid has limited a lot of this since last March, but clearly skill development is not improved or at least to the level compared to their peers where it’s evident they are out matched.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Really? Please list these "misses."

There have been a ton of misses, not really out of the normal for most coaches, but the “hits” have been big hits and left early which has hurt.

Fred was great because even though he had similar misses, his hits were four year type starters, and could also hit in the transfer market to reload.

Also coaching, installing an offense, playing defense, and really just everything Prohm should be doing isn’t being done(or isn’t working). Guys who should be improving are not.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I've found myself watching games (back when I could stomach it) and asking myself what we do that I feel we're even marginally decent at. In other words, what do we do on the court that I CAN stand.

1. Rebound? Nope, get trashed pretty much every game, and give up countless boards where the guy comes crashing in untouched.
2. Defend? Nope, we give up a ton of easy baskets, and at some point guys going off for career nights against us stops being a coincidence or bad luck.
3. Shoot? Nope, I mean we get hot once in a while but short of some insanely talented guys coming through while Prohm has been here, we're not a good shooting program
4. Create our own shot? Nope. Dribble for 25 seconds and force up something contested, or jack up a three 8 seconds into the shot clock.
5. Out of bounds plays? Nope. Just hope to get the ball inbounds so we can revert to bullet point 4, or take the 5 second call coming out of a timeout.
6. Defend out of bounds plays? Nope
7. Run an offense? See bullet point #4
8. Adjust to the guy that's killing us, or take advantage of a favorable matchup on our part? Nope, see Purdue NCAA game in '17.
9. Play an entertaining brand of basketball? Nope, basically unwatchable, no matter how much I love my alma mater.

I'm never going to claim to be John Wooden, but I've watched a TON of CBB through the years. I like watching good coaches try to outduel each other. Love him or (mostly) hate him, a Bill Self vs. Chris Beard type of game is awesome to watch as a casual viewer. A good inbounds play when you really need a bucket. A quick switch from man to zone to throw off an offense's rhythm. Hell, a timeout when the OTHER team has momentum, not after your team makes a 3. I can live with losing, but Prohm has completely sucked the enjoyment out of something that, save the last couple McDoormat years, has been appointment viewing during winter weeks for me for the last 30+ years. It's really freaking sad.

This is 100 percent accurate. Every word.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I once paid close attention to ISU basketball. Then I became a hit or miss fan. Now, I actively avoid sight or knowledge of it. I can live like this, since I like wrestling more. But man, yuck.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It might be this one? That's what I found.

I remember this article coming out and it's only a small sample but it sounded like he had to stop things often to over explain what to do instead of having it broken down to be able to call it out while the team is playing.

No idea how practices go at other places but I'd think players don't find much success if they don't have time to work out of whatever mistake they're making.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That would be good to know, I don’t hear that guys are getting extra work in. Usually those comments surface from coaches in various forums, but didn’t hear much over the last couple of years.

Granted, Covid has limited a lot of this since last March, but clearly skill development is not improved or at least to the level compared to their peers where it’s evident they are out matched.

I'll call bull on this part, it's been mentioned on the WBB board how much time Feuerbach spends over at Sukup. The janitor asked Fennelly if that girl ever goes home. The facility is fine just need to have players that want to use it.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone