Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'll take any advice offered. The ledger board I just tore off was installed over the siding and this was new construction. I bought a book on decks, guess I better start reading that part.

I'm not a sore as I expected for a 62 year old computer jockey.

Ledger failure is the #1 problem with deck collapses, by far. Their are several prescriptive ways to attach it, the easiest that I know of is to get some Simpson SDS screws (available at Home Depot). They are a galvanized 1/4" diameter hex head screw. You need to use three (3) of them - 3" length is plenty - in each joist cavity (provided, of course, that your joists are spaced 16" on center), in a diagonal pattern. Just be sure to mark your joists on the ledger first so the SDS screws don't fall where they go.

If you want a little more detailed description PM me and we'll discuss. Any other items you need, LMK.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I rarely get sick either. However, I don't mind going to the dentist, go to my physicals regularly, and I would never skip one of these appointments. I just treat them as life's necessities and move on.

Here's my story: Let's just say there's more than a thin layer of skin and tissue in that area of me :) The discomfort for me is really minimal and nothing that affects my daily life before or after. I don't need a pain reliever either, although I understand it's helpful for some. One of my sisters was diagnosed with DCIS stage zero, I believe, several years ago. No family history otherwise. That led my doctor to suggest -- the choice is always mine -- that I schedule one of these appts every year. I agree. A few years ago, my appointment was right after McFarland Clinic started using a new 3D machine and process. All was fine, until I got a call a couple of hours later that the doctor who read my scan saw something and I should schedule an ultrasound. My heart dropped, and after I made that appointment I couldn't focus on anything for a while. At the appt, the technician couldn't find anything so she asked the doctor/radiologist to come in. He couldn't find anything either. What?? He suggested that with the extreme detail the 3D process employed, what it saw was probably a small duct kind of folded over on itself, which then moved back to normal position. A followup 3D scan on that side 6 months later also showed nothing, so I was back to the annual event.

From one woman to another, tell her to please do this one thing for herself. Even with my negative result, I can't imagine the agony of ever thinking "If I'd only done this earlier" and I don't think she would ever want to feel that way either.
You've met me. Yeah, there IS temporary discomfort for the well-endowed. But it's peanuts compared to chemo, which a friend of mine went through. However, hers was found early thanks to routine mammos, and they did a lumpectomy/chemo combo instead of a mastectomy. And she STILL gets a yearly mammo.
I went through that same panic when a new radiologist saw some scar tissue from a previous surgery. Ultrasound proved nothing there. But still, it's probably why I still do annuals even though I'm ten years past the date to back it off some. There's a level of comfort in knowing you're all clear.

Edit: also, the 3-D is faster and less painful, IMO.
Thanks, ladies. I have tried pretty much all of this. However I will let her know about the advantages of the 3D scan. I'm going to keep hammering her. I have even tried to get her mother to help me, but Mrs. Velo just digs her heels in. :(

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That is a new one to me and is damn tempting. Looks like it is a single seat homebuilt that was marketed that anyone could build it with common tools and little welding.

Would love something like that for a chapter build.

If you end up getting it contact me and I'll help you load it up. I'd like to see it but work this wkend.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I went through that same panic when a new radiologist saw some scar tissue from a previous surgery. Ultrasound proved nothing there. But still, it's probably why I still do annuals even though I'm ten years past the date to back it off some. There's a level of comfort in knowing you're all clear.

Edit: also, the 3-D is faster and less painful, IMO.

I remember hearing a story about a kids Boy Scout project. He was going door to door giving free manual exams. That kid is on his way to greatness I tell you.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Welp what a cold drizzly day, no fence trimming today, ended up having the inner seals replaced on a hydraulic remote, after the 1st try the hoses wouldn't stay connected under pressure. Tried again and reconnected this funky spring when the connector was pushed in and success! Also got the blower fixed on my truck today that was $150 but it's ready for winter now hopefully. I'll do the oil change tomorrow.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I remember hearing a story about a kids Boy Scout project. He was going door to door giving free manual exams. That kid is on his way to greatness I tell you.

I’m not making fun of the exams, I believe they are important. My wife gets them annually and my mom did too. I just remember hearing about this little perv.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
KC, hope the squash festival wasn't too draining. I was at McFarland Clinic yesterday afternoon for my annual cystoscope (yeah guys, look it up - it's a blast!) to check for bladder cancer. Clean as a whistle! We needed some good news for a change.

I think I can put 2 and 2 together on that. And that is a NOPE!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
KC, hope the squash festival wasn't too draining. I was at McFarland Clinic yesterday afternoon for my annual cystoscope (yeah guys, look it up - it's a blast!) to check for bladder cancer. Clean as a whistle! We needed some good news for a change.
Nope. I'm good for another year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron