Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Oh! Had my first about a month ago.
Fun, huh? :D
Need to schedule mine, but not until January. Smash might be a better term.
"Smash festival" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Squash festival", though! :D
How do I convince Mrs. Velo to get an appointment? She won't do it. I have even asked a couple of years for my birthday - that her getting it done was all I wanted for a present. She won't do it.
Does she give a reason? IIRC, she's borderline on could (40-44) vs should (45-54) vs once every 2-3 years (55+).
They've changed the requirements so often I can't remember why I'm still going annually. :D

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Fun, huh? :D

"Smash festival" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Squash festival", though! :D

Does she give a reason? IIRC, she's borderline on could (40-44) vs should (45-54) vs once every 2-3 years (55+).
They've changed the requirements so often I can't remember why I'm still going annually. :D

Did Velo rob the cradle? He’s older than me.

Also, kinda sad night. Sitting in the bleachers before a VB match. Daughters team isn’t good, so probably last one that I ever have a kid play in. I’m Getting old

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Did Velo rob the cradle? He’s older than me.

Also, kinda sad night. Sitting in the bleachers before a VB match. Daughters team isn’t good, so probably last one that I ever have a kid play in. I’m Getting old

Do you think you'll still go watch the local team(s) play occasionally?

I was back home last year and talked to an old classmate's parents about all sorts of things, but one was how they hadn't been to a football game since their youngest graduated in...2003? The high school complex is about 8 minutes from their house.

Just thought it was interesting--there are those that are the guys that graduated 15 years before me that made it a point to be there and base their weekend on it when I played and after, and those that, once their kids' time was done, so were they.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

I was back home last year and talked to an old classmate's parents about all sorts of things, but one was how they hadn't been to a football game since their youngest graduated in...2003? The high school complex is about 8 minutes from their house.

Just thought it was interesting--there are those that are the guys that graduated 15 years before me that made it a point to be there and base their weekend on it when I played and after, and those that, once their kids' time was done, so were they.
After our kids graduated we bought ISU season tickets, and moved to an acreage. So yeah...we stopped going.

Reactions: madguy30

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm guessing you got the easy part done, usually tearing something down means building something back, that's usually the harder part.
I'll have to build a new deck eventually, getting the house resided so I had to remove it. Started working out a design in my head while tearing it down.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

My plans are to have my youngest kids graduation party on Sunday day and be on the road Monday to wherever we are moving to. I have only been back to the FB games that my wife has drug me to since my son graduated 2 years ago. My youngest is 7th grade and I will go back when he hits HS.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@wxman1, any interest in a partially finished Parker tennie two? It looks pretty cool, silver low gull style wings, looks like it seats maybe 2 people. Will be sold at auction this wkend listing at Ryerson realty and auction. I'm guessing it will go cheap not a lot of advertising out on it. I have no interest in purchasing it but if you want to give me a little more info it would be fun to learn.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
How do I convince Mrs. Velo to get an appointment? She won't do it. I have even asked a couple of years for my birthday - that her getting it done was all I wanted for a present. She won't do it.

Have you tried this?
1603193194718.png
Seriously, she needs to know how important it is. She doesn't want to have regrets later, should something very bad happen. An ounce of prevention.......

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'll have to build a new deck eventually, getting the house resided so I had to remove it. Started working out a design in my head while tearing it down.

Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but be sure if the deck is going to be attached to the house that you have the ledger board on prior to the siding being installed. And if you need any tips about how to properly attach the ledger, LMK. Again, I don't mean in any way to downplay what you know.....but in my business I see so many DIYers doing things wrong, with sometimes disastrous results. Posting this as a friend!

• Friendly
Reactions: oldman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Huh. I was thinking they were mid to late 40s.
You are so kind. I'm pushing mid Fitties, Mrs. Velo is early Fitties.

She has a an incredible immune system so she very rarely gets sick. It has lulled her into a false sense of security. She is also well endowed so she isn't convinced it is worth the pain for something she has convinced herself will never happen. I know she is smart enough to know that none of this works this way.

1603194552546.png

Probably inappropriate meme, but I have to either laugh or cry.

• Friendly
Reactions: SaraV and NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Mediacom is still Mediacom.
We upgraded our Internet to accommodate our kiddo's online school with uploading videos for my course.
Big surprise. It reached its slowest speeds when I went to upload the first videos. Stuff that took a minute in spring is 40 today.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Don't mean to insult your intelligence, but be sure if the deck is going to be attached to the house that you have the ledger board on prior to the siding being installed. And if you need any tips about how to properly attach the ledger, LMK. Again, I don't mean in any way to downplay what you know.....but in my business I see so many DIYers doing things wrong, with sometimes disastrous results. Posting this as a friend!
I'll take any advice offered. The ledger board I just tore off was installed over the siding and this was new construction. I bought a book on decks, guess I better start reading that part.

I'm not a sore as I expected for a 62 year old computer jockey.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@wxman1, any interest in a partially finished Parker tennie two? It looks pretty cool, silver low gull style wings, looks like it seats maybe 2 people. Will be sold at auction this wkend listing at Ryerson realty and auction. I'm guessing it will go cheap not a lot of advertising out on it. I have no interest in purchasing it but if you want to give me a little more info it would be fun to learn.

That is a new one to me and is damn tempting. Looks like it is a single seat homebuilt that was marketed that anyone could build it with common tools and little welding.

Would love something like that for a chapter build.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

She has a an incredible immune system so she very rarely gets sick. It has lulled her into a false sense of security. She is also well endowed so she isn't convinced it is worth the pain for something she has convinced herself will never happen. I know she is smart enough to know that none of this works this way.

View attachment 76774

I rarely get sick either. However, I don't mind going to the dentist, go to my physicals regularly, and I would never skip one of these appointments. I just treat them as life's necessities and move on.

Here's my story: Let's just say there's more than a thin layer of skin and tissue in that area of me :) The discomfort for me is really minimal and nothing that affects my daily life before or after. I don't need a pain reliever either, although I understand it's helpful for some. One of my sisters was diagnosed with DCIS stage zero, I believe, several years ago. No family history otherwise. That led my doctor to suggest -- the choice is always mine -- that I schedule one of these appts every year. I agree. A few years ago, my appointment was right after McFarland Clinic started using a new 3D machine and process. All was fine, until I got a call a couple of hours later that the doctor who read my scan saw something and I should schedule an ultrasound. My heart dropped, and after I made that appointment I couldn't focus on anything for a while. At the appt, the technician couldn't find anything so she asked the doctor/radiologist to come in. He couldn't find anything either. What?? He suggested that with the extreme detail the 3D process employed, what it saw was probably a small duct kind of folded over on itself, which then moved back to normal position. A followup 3D scan on that side 6 months later also showed nothing, so I was back to the annual event.

From one woman to another, tell her to please do this one thing for herself. Even with my negative result, I can't imagine the agony of ever thinking "If I'd only done this earlier" and I don't think she would ever want to feel that way either.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

View attachment 76774

You've met me. Yeah, there IS temporary discomfort for the well-endowed. But it's peanuts compared to chemo, which a friend of mine went through. However, hers was found early thanks to routine mammos, and they did a lumpectomy/chemo combo instead of a mastectomy. And she STILL gets a yearly mammo.

• Friendly

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I rarely get sick either. However, I don't mind going to the dentist, go to my physicals regularly, and I would never skip one of these appointments. I just treat them as life's necessities and move on.

Here's my story: Let's just say there's more than a thin layer of skin and tissue in that area of me :) The discomfort for me is really minimal and nothing that affects my daily life before or after. I don't need a pain reliever either, although I understand it's helpful for some. One of my sisters was diagnosed with DCIS stage zero, I believe, several years ago. No family history otherwise. That led my doctor to suggest -- the choice is always mine -- that I schedule one of these appts every year. I agree. A few years ago, my appointment was right after McFarland Clinic started using a new 3D machine and process. All was fine, until I got a call a couple of hours later that the doctor who read my scan saw something and I should schedule an ultrasound. My heart dropped, and after I made that appointment I couldn't focus on anything for a while. At the appt, the technician couldn't find anything so she asked the doctor/radiologist to come in. He couldn't find anything either. What?? He suggested that with the extreme detail the 3D process employed, what it saw was probably a small duct kind of folded over on itself, which then moved back to normal position. A followup 3D scan on that side 6 months later also showed nothing, so I was back to the annual event.

From one woman to another, tell her to please do this one thing for herself. Even with my negative result, I can't imagine the agony of ever thinking "If I'd only done this earlier" and I don't think she would ever want to feel that way either.
I went through that same panic when a new radiologist saw some scar tissue from a previous surgery. Ultrasound proved nothing there. But still, it's probably why I still do annuals even though I'm ten years past the date to back it off some. There's a level of comfort in knowing you're all clear.

Edit: also, the 3-D is faster and less painful, IMO.

• Informative

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
With this snow on the ground, I feel like we've suddenly skipped days and holy crap it's mid-November and there's only a week and a half before Thanksgiving!

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.