PODCAST: Legends Episode: Dan McCarney

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Can you expound on the Jon Davis injury fiasco?
Apparently Blum reported Jon Davis tore his Achilles when invited to an ISU practice while working for the Daily. MAC was not pleased and I don’t think Blum knew that some things were supposed to be kept on the DL in these looks behind the curtain.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would have liked to have been in the room when Fry lost his first in-state recruit to Coach Mac.

Probably got a little twitchy.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I would have liked to have been in the room when Fry lost his first in-state recruit to Coach Mac.

Probably got a little twitchy.
You and I both know madguy30, that fry being fry blew his stack and then some.
The Iowa State football game is the SUPER BOWL to iowa, It has been ever since 1977, and will remain that way forever!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You know what I really need to hear? Since Blum mentioned the Marshalltown connection with his dad, Steve Loney’s take on the current ongoing renaissance of the OL.

As I recall, the moment he left and the OL going to crap were more or less one and the same. Lonely used to be able to put a good starting five together out of spare parts and binder twine.

And the OL hasn’t been good as a whole ever since he left. Maybe two or three guys at a time, but not all five. And definitely not excelling at both run and pass blocking at the same time.

Steve Loney may not be a fun Mac-style interview, but I betcha he could give some great perspective.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This is incredible.

Coach Mac will always have a special place in Iowa State football history.

Reactions: JP4CY

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
What really comes through is just what a passion for people Mac has. You can just tell he develops relationships with damn near everyone he meets, which makes it easy to see why he lasted so long in the profession.

I met him a couple of times, but the big one I remember was running into him in the elevator at Mary Greeley medical center when my mom was going through chemo. He ended up talking to us for a good 20 minutes just trying to keep our hopes up and genuinely caring about people he didn’t know. As a 15 year old kid it really made an impression on me that someone with such a busy schedule was willing to take the time to make sure others were doing alright.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What a great interview. Mac's love of ISU, love of people, and the sport of football sure shine in this interview. ISU was lucky to have him as a coach.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Started to listen to this podcast tonight and will have to finish it up when I have some free time but I don't know how you kept it to just an hour because I bet Dan could talk for 8 hours straight and you would still would want more content. I said it back when I was in college 20 years ago and I will say it again today - just listening to Mac talk is enough to make you want to run through a brick wall as that guy is so passionate about ISU football and if it wasn't for the foundation he built there is no way we would have the facilities and a coach like Campbell if it wasn't for what he did. I remember as a freshman at ISU in 1998 when we finally broke the losing streak against Iowa and I remember how hard he pushed to get the indoor practice facility built I wanted to jump out of my seat and tackle someone back then,

I hope some day we name some kind of facility or something related to the football after Dan. He still holds the most wins as head coach at ISU while also having the most wins and I hope that Campbell is the one that passes him for most wins. We've been through some ups and downs between Mac and Campbell but when I look at a snapshot of this program right now Mac and Campbell are the book ends of our current success.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Loved the pod. Will probably listen to it again at normal speed so I can catch some of the nuggets I may have missed the first time.

A few years ago I saw an older gentleman with sunglasses running shirtless down the beach of Siesta Key in Florida. I thought he looked like Coach Mac and yelled out "Coach Mac, Go Cyclones!" Turns out it was him and his son and he yelled out "I'm finishing my run but we'll be back!" Sure enough he came back a few mins later and talked to us about his time at ISU for almost 30 mins and took a super sweaty pic with us. Hell of a guy, I could listen to his stories any day.

Reactions: Aclone