ULL Message Boards

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017

Visit the link I provided. It’s a tad long but really explains the story. We get grief from every in-state school!
Thank you for the link! That was interesting; I'm always fascinated by the political realities of the educational system. Iowa and ISU (and UNI) have a similarly adversarial past, but I'm not sure it's as overt as LSU's influence in Louisiana. ISU (and the entire state, imo) is lucky that the state never went to a single flagship model and instead encouraged its universities to excel at their strengths and provide comparable higher education to the masses while avoiding duplication of roles.

Unfortunately, the university ranking and funding rat races still cause undue politicking to this day.

Reactions: Big Buds

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Thank you for the link! That was interesting; I'm always fascinated by the political realities of the educational system. Iowa and ISU (and UNI) have a similarly adversarial past, but I'm not sure it's as overt as LSU's influence in Louisiana. ISU (and the entire state, imo) is lucky that the state never went to a single flagship model and instead encouraged its universities to excel at their strengths and provide comparable higher education to the masses while avoiding duplication of roles.

Unfortunately, the university ranking and funding rat races still cause undue politicking to this day.
Leave it to the great state of Louisiana to put “all their eggs” in one basket! 36 years later we finally won the name battle! This is why we are so passionate about this issue.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Damn and I think the U of I (Hawkeyes) are a PITA. That was a heck of a battle for a name change.
My mother-in-law graduated from Louisiana in the spring on ‘84. Her diploma reads, The University of Louisiana. That only lasted one semester! The paranoia in Baton Rouge is comical and without it who knows where our great university would be today...possible a member of the BIG12?!

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Wow. I don't think i've ever seen so many posters on drugs than inside that sunbelt thread. I'm not saying there isn't a chance for ISU to lose, but by 14?! What are they smoking

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Reading those message boards is a lot like reading the CF message boards for the Camping World Bowl.

A lot of us thought we were going to shock the world and beat ND. Yea........ that didn't happen.

Clones BIG tomorrow.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Reading those message boards is a lot like reading the CF message boards for the Camping World Bowl.

A lot of us thought we were going to shock the world and beat ND. Yea........ that didn't happen.

Clones BIG tomorrow.
I thought we would at least compete

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
I thought we would at least compete
It’s just blind optimism...and our culture. We really never had much success in Football so we don’t know how to act! Historically we field top 25 Dimond sports and are respectable in Mens Basketball, considering we are in the Deep South. So we are just used to winning in other areas. I’ve said it here already but we either win or lose tomorrow by a slim margin. I just don’t see a blowout in either direction.

• Optimistic
Reactions: harimad and dosry5

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
It’s just blind optimism...and our culture. We really never had much success in Football so we don’t know how to act! Historically we field top 25 Dimond sports and are respectable in Mens Basketball, considering we are in the Deep South. So we are just used to winning in other areas. I’ve said it here already but we either win or lose tomorrow by a slim margin. I just don’t see a blowout in either direction.

Agreed - I would be pleasantly surprised if ISU covered the 12 point spread.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Just my opinion...they have a good QB, we have a better one. They have good RBs, so do we. We're more experienced at WR, have way better TEs. OLs for both teams are rebuilding a little. Our defense is used to playing against high powered offenses. I would feel better if we had Lima in the middle plugging run lanes, but Enyi and Bankston should be able to get into the backfield better and disrupt things. My only worry is if Lewis is able to run around back there and make plays with his feet or if we have a bunch of turnovers. I feel like it's close in the 3rd, but ISU ends up winning by 14.