Aromatically Destroying Workplace Bathrooms

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I doubt anyone is going to believe this, but I swear to God it's true. One day at work I had a nasty one, a real paint peeler. While I was sitting there I heard a couple of guys walk in to go #1. The one guy started talking about the next stop they had to make and I immediately recognized the voice. It was not a voice I had ever heard in person, just in podcasts and press releases on this website. Our esteemed head football coach was just through a thin wall away from me experiencing the aftermath of whatever horrible thing I ate last. I sat there in shame and waited for them to leave the bathroom before leaving my stall. I don't want to go into details on why he was at my workplace but it was during their first year before he had actually coached a game and he was with some guy that worked with the AD on donor relations.

Really thought you'd take the opportunity to extend your hand in gratitude for being our coach. Nothing like dropping the heat, experiencing some TP tear-thru, then meeting a living icon all in the span of 5 minutes.

• Funny
Reactions: ISUagger

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
If the odor is in a single hole washroom (although this applies to all washrooms), you might check the floor drain. Every washroom is required to have one, but if they never get water poured into them the trap dries out and the sewage gases back up into the room. Can get quickly unpleasant and may be what you are experiencing. Take a large glass of water and pour down the drain to fill up the trap, and hopefully the orders will go away. As a contractor, I have had more than one client complain of the odors and it was a simple fix (if you don't want to keep doing it, use vegetable oil as it won't evaporate).

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I recently have begun transitioning from working from home to working physically at my office-type job. I don’t know if it is just because I have been used to my own body odors for so long during covid or what, but this is possible. HOWEVER, just about every other day I am in the office, I walk into the single-holer and my olfactory gets absolutely ransacked by a stench that it is hard to describe accurately. I have worked on farms, and ain’t afraid to change a diaper, but sweet baby Jesus this is bad. So, the question is, what is proper etiquette for both the victim and the nasal abuser in this situation? My initial thought is that everyone poops, I get it. But if yours smells that bad, then someone has told you this at some point and if at all possible, I would fully support you doing your business somewhere non-local. TIA

Don't complain. About the last 3 years I worked at my last place of employment, I sat right in front of both the men's and women's bathrooms. I could hear EVERY SINGLE SOUND that emanated from the men's bathroom and learned way more about my coworkers bathroom habits than I ever wanted to.

For instance, one coworker used the facilities to go No. 2 about 4-5 times a day and when he was done, he would use about 20-plus strips of TP to clean himself up. Seriously, I could hear him using the roller to unroll the TP and I counted one time. I didn't start counting right away, but started after he had already done it 4-5 times. He got up to 20 before he finally quit, so he had to have used at least 25 strips of TP on that trip. Then when he washed his hands, he would used about 8-10 paper towels to dry them.

And when I said I could hear every single sound, I mean every sound. It was not pleasant. For some reason, I couldn't hear the sounds coming out of the women's bathroom. although I was technically closer to it than the men's room.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If the odor is in a single hole washroom (although this applies to all washrooms), you might check the floor drain. Every washroom is required to have one, but if they never get water poured into them the trap dries out and the sewage gases back up into the room. Can get quickly unpleasant and may be what you are experiencing. Take a large glass of water and pour down the drain to fill up the trap, and hopefully the orders will go away. As a contractor, I have had more than one client complain of the odors and it was a simple fix (if you don't want to keep doing it, use vegetable oil as it won't evaporate).
But why does this smell not stay crappy then if this was the case?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Don't complain. About the last 3 years I worked at my last place of employment, I sat right in front of both the men's and women's bathrooms. I could hear EVERY SINGLE SOUND that emanated from the men's bathroom and learned way more about my coworkers bathroom habits than I ever wanted to.

For instance, one coworker used the facilities to go No. 2 about 4-5 times a day and when he was done, he would use about 20-plus strips of TP to clean himself up. Seriously, I could hear him using the roller to unroll the TP and I counted one time. I didn't start counting right away, but started after he had already done it 4-5 times. He got up to 20 before he finally quit, so he had to have used at least 25 strips of TP on that trip. Then when he washed his hands, he would used about 8-10 paper towels to dry them.

And when I said I could hear every single sound, I mean every sound. It was not pleasant. For some reason, I couldn't hear the sounds coming out of the women's bathroom. although I was technically closer to it than the men's room.
My hat is off to you sir.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I honestly think the only crap smell that I’ve been exposed to that is worse was the year a Korean guy got put with me and two buddies out in Freddy Ct. Nice guy, pretty quiet dude. But when he would cook and eat Kimchi, holy mf’ing hell, that was so freakin awful. My one buddy was kinda mean and made him a chart of our schedules and told him if he ate kimchi, he could only poop during certain hours for the next couple days when we had class or work.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I'd rather have someone use too much TP rather than not enough . . . gotta get clean.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Did you give them smart ass comments when they left the room?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Did you give them smart ass comments when they left the room?

No, but I had a guy sitting in back of me and he was always yelling at people when they came out of the restroom without washing their hands. You could tell when someone didn't wash their hands because you wouldn't hear the paper towel dispenser. So the guy sitting in back of me could hear every sound coming from the bathroom too, that's how loud it was, or how close we were to the bathroom, or how good the accoustics were in the bathroom.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I am not sure all women poop...

Reactions: SpokaneCY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes they do. They definitely do. Don’t ever give them that leeway. They are just as much guilty as any man and blow up a bathroom with the best of anyone.
In a couple of my former jobs I had to on occasion go into women's restrooms to check on maintenance issues and check the work of my janitors. Women can be and often are just as nasty as men in the messes they leave for the next user and/or the cleaning crew. I was often amazed at the number of women who don't even bother to flush the john after dropping a deuce in it.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
First job out of college, we had this older engineer, probably late 50s, early 60s. Anyway, my first real work trip out of town was with him. We'll call him Steve because that was his name. We're flying Omaha to Denver to Vancouver. We land in Denver and proceed to walk to our next gate. Steve proceeds to fart, quite loudly I might add, all the way through the airport. And DEN is a looooong airport.

The first time, I'm like "Oh my, that's embarrassing for him." Then it kept happening and I realized "he just doesn't care!"

As I worked at that company for many more years, I learned Steve was notorious for farting with reckless abandon and was well-known for not washing his hands and taking candy from the community jar.

• Informative

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
First job out of college, we had this older engineer, probably late 50s, early 60s. Anyway, my first real work trip out of town was with him. We'll call him Steve because that was his name. We're flying Omaha to Denver to Vancouver. We land in Denver and proceed to walk to our next gate. Steve proceeds to fart, quite loudly I might add, all the way through the airport. And DEN is a looooong airport.

The first time, I'm like "Oh my, that's embarrassing for him." Then it kept happening and I realized "he just doesn't care!"

As I worked at that company for many more years, I learned Steve was notorious for farting with reckless abandon and was well-known for not washing his hands and taking candy from the community jar.
IMO you haven’t had a real job experience until you have worked with a “Steve”

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
IMO you haven’t had a real job experience until you have worked with a “Steve”
The man in the neighboring hotel room we had in memphis for the bowl game vs Toledo was named Steve. The walls were quite thin. We chose a different hotel for the next visit.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I've learned airport bathrooms are where you'll find literally the worst smells and sounding smells on the planet. No one gives AF because they're about to get out of dodge.