Will the BIG10 Reverse Their Decision?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
The Big10’s arrogance and knee-jerk reaction to the latest Covid scare of the week (Myocarditis) lead them to shutting down the season. They never consulted the other conferences on this decision and expected the other P5 conferences to fall in line and cancel too. Only the PAC did.

Now that the the Big10 and PAC have had their “oh sh17” moment after learning the Big12, SEC and ACC are moving ahead with their seasons, will they reverse their decision and actually work with us or are they too proud to change their tack?

It would be great to have a full football season, although modified.

whoa whoa whoa, holy false premise Batman!

just because the B12 decided to have football doesn't simply mean the B10 had an arrogant, knee-jerk reaction. you might just as well flip that around on the B12 for seeing an opening and pushing forward. we will not know what the correct call was until we see what happens.

personally, i'm expecting a trainwreck after a few weeks of the season, but that doesn't mean i want to be right about it...

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
On the local news tonight, Ferentz said he hopes that there will be "unity" among all universities and that those schools who are playing this fall won't poach players from the schools that aren't playing.

I spit out my Diet Dew when I heard that. When has the Big 10 ever given a rip about other schools? They upset the college football landscape 10 years ago for one reason - greed - and they didn't give a **** about the negative impact it would have on other conferences. Now they're asking the schools they crapped on to not take any of their players.

I hope the Big 10 gets what it deserves.

kcbob79clone

whoa whoa whoa, holy false premise Batman!

just because the B12 decided to have football doesn't simply mean the B10 had an arrogant, knee-jerk reaction. you might just as well flip that around on the B12 for seeing an opening and pushing forward. we will not know what the correct call was until we see what happens.

personally, i'm expecting a trainwreck after a few weeks of the season, but that doesn't mean i want to be right about it...

Train wreck?? I hope we can talk about this without name calling etc.

What we are hearing from the teams is that there was a spike at checkin and then the number of cases has declined since. The only numbers I have seen are from Harbaugh and they confirm the above scenario.

While the players are practicing over the next four weeks they will be monitored and tested, I've heard 2-3 times a week. All the while the Big12 medical experts will be monitoring the world outside of the athletic department. At some time between now and the September 12th another decision to proceed will be made. Interestingly the Big12 decision group includes players, medical experts, ADs and Presidents with the Presidents making the final decision. Haven't heard B1G/Pac-12 involved and listened to players.

Fairly innocuous assumption is that the players will be responsible during the season so no mass outbreaks and no trainwreck. However if they don't ..... trainwreck

First inflammatory assumption is that I don't feel a small number of tests on players is your trainwreck. With isolation and contact tracing it can be controlled.

Really inflammatory assumption is that the number of cases outside has no impact on whether games are played or not, the impact is whether or not to have fans at the games. If the players stay healthy then the games continue playing.

Ok flame away

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Serious question...is there anyone over on the Hawkeyes team that would we even want, and they would go just for playing time?

Reactions: aauummm

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

The B12\ACC\SEC are the few conferences in all of college sports to ignore the experts and push ahead. Not surprisingly, because they are heavily based in states that have ignored experts all the way along which has contributed immensely to our situation being as bad as it is.

Its highly likely before all is said and done the remaining few conferences with football cancel anyway.

Did the Big10 postpone the season because of advice from medical experts or lawyers?

The Big12, ACC and SEC have their own medical experts, who appear to have a different perspective. Nothing new with this virus. Expert advice seems to vary because of the newness of this virus.

It sounds like the Big12 protocols are in line with what the Pac-12 expert prescribes to identify Myocarditis in people who have Covid.

What percentage of college athletes in the P5 conferences have tested positive after their initial test when returning to campus?

If the % is less than the positive % for their age group in the general population, one could argue the safest place is to be in their schools Covid protocol.

If fewer % of athletes in the protocol get Covid, then fewer athletes will get Myocarditis.

You might say, well the athletes in the Big10 and Pac12 will still be in their Athletic Departments protocol, so they should be safer than guys who play. That may be, but the Big12, SEC and ACC will have the NFL as another data point to decide if playing is feasible. Facts vs. Supposition.

Also, even if Big10/Pac12 players are in their schools protocols this fall, I would be willing to bet players are going to be lax since their first games won't be until Feb/Mar if there is spring football. There are probably a few Hawk players at the Airliner tonight!!

Sept 26 is a long way off. Everything has to go right for the Big12, SEC and ACC to play this fall. But at least the possibility is open.

I have one question for the Big10 and Pac12, why was a decision necessary on Aug 11?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Every single day we are gong to to see the Athletic and SI pumping out anti football in the fall articles..all day..every day on twitter.

pretty much word is out from big and pac presidents to help with their cause of cancelling..

Btw..that German observational study that the PAC drs used for Covid cardiac issues that apparently set pac 12 and big ten over the edge is a laughable study to use for such a big decision..

Im not saying Covid can’t cause cardiac issues...but a college athlete is at prob far less risk than the general obese public.

Intramurals are still going on in big ten but by god we better cancel football.

Yes, The Athletic and SI don’t want football this fall and are waging a propaganda war against their livelihood to help the BIG and PAC-10’s decisions look better in the court of public opinion. That is what is going on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Serious question...is there anyone over on the Hawkeyes team that would we even want, and they would go just for playing time?

They generally have real good defensive players but I would expect ISU to be improved there.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Its not 'arrogance' or a 'knee-jerk reaction'. It is following the advice of experts. Most conferences are following the experts. A few are ignoring them because their salaries are dependent on ignoring that advice.

The B12\ACC\SEC are the few conferences in all of college sports to ignore the experts and push ahead. Not surprisingly, because they are heavily based in states that have ignored experts all the way along which has contributed immensely to our situation being as bad as it is.

Its highly likely before all is said and done the remaining few conferences with football cancel anyway.

This is mostly BS. Most Conferences are cancelling not because of "advice" from experts, it's due to the costs of frequent testing with the B10 (and their inexplicable fear of liability concerns by snowflake Presidents) being an exception.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclad

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Yes, The Athletic and SI don’t want football this fall and are waging a propaganda war against their livelihood to help the BIG and PAC-10’s decisions look better in the court of public opinion. That is what is going on.
Yup. Go woke, go broke

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Who is running the test samples? If the team is taking up 300-400 tests per week, is that hurting the testing capacity for other "regular" sick people who might need the test more, or is that easily absorbable?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Call me cynical. All the conferences cancelling besides the Big 10 and PAC 12 did so because they lose money as it is, and aren’t about to take on the liability or additional testing costs.

Big10 and PAC can see that their amateurism-based business model hangs by a thread. Schools clearing tens of millions during COVID probably seals the fate of that business model.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Cyclad

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Actually, this year, I think Iowa's best options to poach would be on offense (not that I think any of these would actually come to fruition). Alaric Jackson (LT) and Tyler Linderbaum (C) would probably be at the top of the list. ISU definitely has a need at LT, and Linderbaum would allow Newell to shift over to RG. After that, Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith would both be strong potential fits, with Smith stepping into Pettway's role and ISM being able to go inside or outside, depending on where Milton is playing.

Defensively, I think Iowa has a few guys who would probably contribute (Golston, Colbert, Hankins), but nobody with an apparent path to be a starter.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and Gorm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who is running the test samples? If the team is taking up 300-400 tests per week, is that hurting the testing capacity for other "regular" sick people who might need the test more, or is that easily absorbable?

It’s less than the check in requirements now.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Actually, this year, I think Iowa's best options to poach would be on offense (not that I think any of these would actually come to fruition). Alaric Jackson (LT) and Tyler Linderbaum (C) would probably be at the top of the list. ISU definitely has a need at LT, and Linderbaum would allow Newell to shift over to RG. After that, Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Brandon Smith would both be strong potential fits, with Smith stepping into Pettway's role and ISM being able to go inside or outside, depending on where Milton is playing.

Defensively, I think Iowa has a few guys who would probably contribute (Golston, Colbert, Hankins), but nobody with an apparent path to be a starter.
I’ve been watching game replays lately and despite our talent at wideout, Pettway is going to be very tough to replace. He was a dominant downfield blocker and a clutch 3rd down receiver. He reminded me of a smaller version of Lazard.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Did the Big10 postpone the season because of advice from medical experts or lawyers?

The Big12, ACC and SEC have their own medical experts, who appear to have a different perspective. Nothing new with this virus. Expert advice seems to vary because of the newness of this virus.

It sounds like the Big12 protocols are in line with what the Pac-12 expert prescribes to identify Myocarditis in people who have Covid.

What percentage of college athletes in the P5 conferences have tested positive after their initial test when returning to campus?

If the % is less than the positive % for their age group in the general population, one could argue the safest place is to be in their schools Covid protocol.

If fewer % of athletes in the protocol get Covid, then fewer athletes will get Myocarditis.

You might say, well the athletes in the Big10 and Pac12 will still be in their Athletic Departments protocol, so they should be safer than guys who play. That may be, but the Big12, SEC and ACC will have the NFL as another data point to decide if playing is feasible. Facts vs. Supposition.

Also, even if Big10/Pac12 players are in their schools protocols this fall, I would be willing to bet players are going to be lax since their first games won't be until Feb/Mar if there is spring football. There are probably a few Hawk players at the Airliner tonight!!

Sept 26 is a long way off. Everything has to go right for the Big12, SEC and ACC to play this fall. But at least the possibility is open.

I have one question for the Big10 and Pac12, why was a decision necessary on Aug 11?
The fact that the PAC-12 cancelled basketball through January 1, 2021 tells you they aren’t serious about playing sports in the fall, winter or spring. You are 90 days from starting basketball competition and you have 13 players versus 100 (football) and you aren’t even interested in gathering data points for the next 60 days.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Acylum

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I’ve been watching game replays lately and despite our talent at wideout, Pettway is going to be very tough to replace. He was a dominant downfield blocker and a clutch 3rd down receiver. He reminded me of a smaller version of Lazard.

Besides Jackson and Linderbaum, Smith would probably be the guy I'm most confident would step in and play a crucial role. He'd be very good at all of the things Pettway was needed for.