Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx

I’ve been trying think how $1200 more in stimulus is going to affect things for awhile.

Some of the $1200 Robinhooders get may go towards sports gambling this time around rather than the markets. I guess we’ll probably soon find out, but I’m sort of expecting to see some wild up and down futures along with some unsustainable vaccine speculations.

Who knows, but the markets are quite a bit different than in April and I’d guess won’t take the market by so much surprise this time. Robinhooders could actually have a pretty tough go of it the next few months, 2020’s been full of surprises.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
So Eastman Kodak received a grant to start producing ingredients for pharmaceuticals. The stock popped huge yesterday, but I’m curious what some people here think of this as a longer term play?

My Brother in law told me a couple years ago that one if the reasons drug prices are high is due to a companies making active ingredients in drugs having a monopoly on the market. Basically, several companies start out making the active ingredients on drug prices, but due to the low sale price and minimal profit, companies cease to make the active ingredients, eventually allowing one company to be the sole producer of the active ingredients. This creating a monopoly.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Apple 4-1 split announced. Gonna have to grab more if it’s 100 or less.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What's the deal with people bringing up Robinhood? I know it's younger, less experienced people, but they have 50b under management. The US market is worth 35t, not including trillionsbtrillions more in bonds. That's not even 2/10 of 1%. To suggest Robinhood traders have any bearing on the market seems like an interesting take.

Reactions: Jammin’

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
What's the deal with people bringing up Robinhood? I know it's younger, less experienced people, but they have 50b under management. The US market is worth 35t, not including trillionsbtrillions more in bonds. That's not even 2/10 of 1%. To suggest Robinhood traders have any bearing on the market seems like an interesting take.

Agreed. It’s just an excuse for people to complain about when the fundamentals of the market don’t actually match what’s going on.

Also, I don’t understand the appeal of Robinhood.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I’ve used them and Webull. Zero issues with them, but ultimately consolidated back to Schwab to get all of my stuff in the same house. If I was just starting out both of those services are very approachable and easy to use.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx

I hear what your saying and agree on Robinhood.

Robinhood just doesn’t have the force behind it to drive the markets in a big way. There’s been so many new accounts lately, which is good, but I’m not sure there’s really much they can do rather than maybe manipulate some kind of beaten down stocks for a little bit via Reddit or something.

I was one of the ones blaming Robinhood for the crazy pre-market stuff in my mind that was going on not too long ago, but after learning more, I’m thinking it’s just smart big money buying and driving pre-market up and waiting for some of the new money “RobinHooders/Retail Investers to jump in when the market opens.

I don’t know, I could be way off as usual, ha.

Robinhood, by design, is super easy to use, but I rarely use it anymore.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

That should be the right answer but it's not. Robinhood has had a marked effect. I had an article before that really laid it out. There are a couple reasons they have had an outsized effect. 1.) All of their trades are front run by firms like the Citadel (hedge funds). 2.) They have allowed large/outsized margins and specifically using options. Options have a much larger effect because they are leveraged 3.) There is almost NO liquidity in these markets

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It will be an all time high tomorrow. Not cheaper, but the most expensive it's ever been.
Yeah it’s one I always hold, add when I can. Really hope post split opens another door for me.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Apple still holding a 5.5% gain at $406 but the markets are struggling to hold gains. Surprising. Really think this has been driven by the $1200 checks and even more so the $600 / week to people for unemployment. Seeing this not being extended for now is driving the market IMO.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Many analysts have been doubting Apple for a long time. It’s a solid stock that has steady strong success if you are willing to be patient. They had a great quarter and haven’t even hit their major releases yet which leads me to believe another strong quarter/holiday season is coming. The SE2 was a better seller than I thought it would be but I guess the price was just what some folks needed for their stimulus checks.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I keep accumulating the XLE energy ETF. Hoping for a slingshot move when the economy picks up. Taking the large distributions until this happens

.....but what I was hoping would be a mid-term yield play is looking like a long term slog

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
giphy.gif

Reactions: cyfan21