***General Cycling Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I see that look or the late "look away" from gal bikers all of the time. From a distance I look okay approaching, nice bike, dressed well, lean and not fat etc. When they get close enough to see my face and can see I am REALLY old and they do the "Ewwww, old guy". Makes me laugh. :rolleyes:
I always just assume that I look gross to women. I'm usually right and just go on about my day.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've had probably four instances in the last month with picking up something on my rear brake pads. It's been small piece of metal or rock that gets imbedded in the brake pad. Happened to me again this morning. Just that grinding sound on of the pad on the rim is awful. Also had a 12" piece of thin wire get wrapped in the derailleur.

Wife had 1.5" screw go in tread and out the sidewall. I didn't see the hole in the side wall until have I had fixed everything. Needless to say as I was putting the tire back on I noticed it and before I could get air out of the tire the tube blew out the hole.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My FIL has some he loves. I'll check with him. I don't really get the sandals though? It seems like the straps would rub.

I got my first pair on RAGBRAI after I forgot to pack my cycling shoes. (Yeah, I know, stupid.) I had some friends that loved them so I thought now was the time to get them. I have ridden in them whenever it is warm enough ever since. They are cool and great for when it rains on you. They are not as good for power as the shoes, if you are worried about that kind of stuff. Really nice on a 100 degree day. You can dip your feet in a stream or under a hose and cool off without worrying about wrecking your $200 bike shoes. I have had 2 pairs of the Shimano sandals. The heals on the first ones failed, so I got the newer ones, with the toe covers, and shoe gooed the old ones for spares.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I always just assume that I look gross to women. I'm usually right and just go on about my day.
Studies show that classic good looks are less important for women than men, and women are much happier in relationship where they are the better looking of the couple. So your in luck.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've got the ones from Nashbar and I like them. They're pretty comfortable, although weird tan lines that disrupt my Colorado Chaco tan. I wish I had bought the Keen cycling sandals just because every pair of Keen shoes I have tried is super comfortable, but they're hard to find anymore.

https://www.nashbar.com/nashbar-ragster-ii-cycling-sandals-37-na-rcs2-37-wh/p979928?v=898495
If you do find the Keens be aware that they run big. I ordered mine years ago the same size as all of the other cycling sandals I have had and they are too long. I can use them but every time I put them on I wish I would have sent them right back and reordered when I got them. The cycling sandal is also narrower than the comparable Keen regular sandal. In addition there is limited adjustment in them so I can't get the snug fit I used to get in my Shimanos.

I'll second on the Shimano. They had the perfect sandal and I'm pretty sure a corner on the cycling sandal market. But instead they decided that people needed a more race-like platform (in a sandal!) so they screwed it up. To make matters worse, they ignored the loud outcry from the market and never brought back the old style. They would have had a similar bump in their sales as Coke did when they realized their error and brought old Coca-Cola back as Coke Classic. I think they have brought back the old style once, but as a limited edition so they could charge twice as much for it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ditch the peloton idea and go with a smart trainer instead. You get the benefit of riding your actual bike which will likely (should) have a proper fit done on it. Plus, you can swap multiple bikes on there depending on what you are training for. You can also store it much easier than a peloton. Just my $0.02.

Yeah but the Peloton is easy. I have one, it is so nice to just hop on for a 30 min ride and someone tells you what to do. I would much rather ride outside, but on crappy days or in the winter, a Peloton is just handy.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Studies show that classic good looks are less important for women than men, and women are much happier in relationship where they are the better looking of the couple. So your in luck.
giphy.gif

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah but the Peloton is easy. I have one, it is so nice to just hop on for a 30 min ride and someone tells you what to do. I would much rather ride outside, but on crappy days or in the winter, a Peloton is just handy.
IF I NEEDED SOMEBODY TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO I'D GET MARRIED AGAIN.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I personally would stay away from the tubeless tires. Just seems like something that is going to leave you stranded more often than the tubed tires. even if you punch a hole in a tire, you can usually put something over the hole and limp on it with a tube. I usually carry a $1 bill in my bag for this, or in case there is a strip joint on the ride.

I really should stick some $1's in the tool bag. Not so much this year, cause 2020, but in past years I'd see kids with lemonade stands but never had any mini money for a purchase.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really should stick some $1's in the tool bag. Not so much this year, cause 2020, but in past years I'd see kids with lemonade stands but never had any mini money for a purchase.
Put in some dollar coins. The kids will be really excited when they realize it isn't a quarter.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pulled the trigger and got clip less shoes and pedals yesterday. Now to learn how to fall off the bike properly again. Went with the shoes with the recessed clips. They look just like regular shoes. I wore them on my ride this morning still using my regular pedals. Realized when I got home that there is very little flex as I was walking down the basement and about fell down the steps.

Note: Depending if you get these at a store or on-line. Use the UK size along with the cm measurement. I usually wear a size 13 and looked at my current shoes and noted the UK size and cm measurement. The size chart told me I needed a size 14. I ordered the size 14 and they fit perfect.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Pulled the trigger and got clip less shoes and pedals yesterday. Now to learn how to fall off the bike properly again. Went with the shoes with the recessed clips. They look just like regular shoes. I wore them on my ride this morning still using my regular pedals. Realized when I got home that there is very little flex as I was walking down the basement and about fell down the steps.

Note: Depending if you get these at a store or on-line. Use the UK size along with the cm measurement. I usually wear a size 13 and looked at my current shoes and noted the UK size and cm measurement. The size chart told me I needed a size 14. I ordered the size 14 and they fit perfect.

I did it too figuring it'd be easier for a newbie if I just started clipping in and didn't get in the mindset that I wasn't. So far, one close call and no falls.

Yeah, shoe sizes seem to vary greatly. Make sure you're finding a measurement chart of some sort. I bought Scotts which happened to line up with normal shoes but a bunch of the brands didn't. Also, the MTB shoes are the ticket. You can walk, don't HAVE to clip in if you're piddling around. I also really like the boa these have.

I haven't got the miles in I had hoped as it's a little bit hard to play a decent amount of golf and ride when it's 90 degrees all summer but I've got a 6.5 mile loop with 550 ft of climbing in it so that's a nice 30 minute morning ride that's pretty tough for someone new to cycling. Really happy with that morning workout.

Reactions: cycloner29

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

Zwift does the same thing. They have structured training programs etc. It will also auto-adjust the resistance on the bike to vary with the terrain or training program. I use mine frequently (even when it's nice out) if I have a very specific workout to do.

I admittedly have never tried a Peloton. I do have a friend who had one and loved it. They STILL ended up buying a smart trainer in the end and prefer that. I feel like if you're a "spin class" type of person and that is specifically what you're looking for, then Peloton is probably the better choice. However, I think the smart trainer option is much more versatile and better bang for the buck.

cyclonetrent

Feb 27, 2011
Johnston
Zwift does the same thing. They have structured training programs etc. It will also auto-adjust the resistance on the bike to vary with the terrain or training program. I use mine frequently (even when it's nice out) if I have a very specific workout to do.

I admittedly have never tried a Peloton. I do have a friend who had one and loved it. They STILL ended up buying a smart trainer in the end and prefer that. I feel like if you're a "spin class" type of person and that is specifically what you're looking for, then Peloton is probably the better choice. However, I think the smart trainer option is much more versatile and better bang for the buck.

I've spent 122 hours on the bike so far this year and only 15 have been outdoors. Zwift is just too convenient. Plus I'm usually riding early in the morning so i don't have to worry about poor lighting and cars and such.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Smart trainer is better in my use. Zwift is fun and hills feel like hills. Not a manual resistance adjustment.
The best exercise equipment is the one that gets used. If you have a Peloton and actually use it then it's great. Same with a smart trainer. I love the workouts while watching a movie.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
You guys should check out the exustar sandals. Great reviews and they come from yours truly if you order off amazon

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Smart trainer is better in my use. Zwift is fun and hills feel like hills. Not a manual resistance adjustment.

The best exercise equipment is the one that gets used. If you have a Peloton and actually use it then it's great. Same with a smart trainer. I love the workouts while watching a movie.

^ This. QFT

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Can you see this jersey? Asking for confirmation that is not like some sort of Harry Potter cloak of invisibility. Twice today cars doing rolling stops through stop signs apparently could not see it. One kid cell phone distracted and one old gray haired jackass driving a BMW. At least they didn't have deep tinted windshields and I could see they weren't looking my way.

View attachment 73713
Does tend to blend into the background a bit. If you were in a bike shop. I’ve had an unusually high number of unpleasant encounters with jackass drivers this year. Don’t think they should have to share the road with a bike.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Does tend to blend into the background a bit. If you were in a bike shop. I’ve had an unusually high number of unpleasant encounters with jackass drivers this year. Don’t think they should have to share the road with a bike.

Most of my issues are at stop signs, T-intersection when I am in the through traffic and to the left of those stopped and at off road paths crossing at stop signs and red lights when peeps in cars are turning right. The right turn on red peeps only look left and if you are a pedestrian or biker at the trail crossway they will just run you over. Not on purpose, they just never look to their right when turning right. Never ever look.

People are okay with sharing the roadway when I am just biking along. Might be a Twin Cities thing in being used to bikers. I'd have less confidence of that in our out state and I also am sorta selective in picking roads with space enough for bikes and cars.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I've spent 122 hours on the bike so far this year and only 15 have been outdoors. Zwift is just too convenient. Plus I'm usually riding early in the morning so i don't have to worry about poor lighting and cars and such.

Same. I do have a decent bit of outdoor time but that's all gravel and you could probably count the number of people I see on those rides on one hand (including cars). My fiance NEEDS to be outside so she still leans that direction. It's damn it's hard for me to argue against watching a movie, having access to a bathroom, and a source of food though. I've never enjoyed 2-3 hour trainer rides so much before in my life. I'm getting spoiled!!

There is also something to be said about not having to "worry" about all those other variables. You get to just focus on what you're there for and that's riding a bike.