***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
If a guy on 3rd Team All Big 12 is only .75 of a “Big 12 Caliber” player, your standard might be too high.

call all 3 big 12 caliber if you want - you’re still not going to win much with a team consisting of only 3 big 12 caliber players

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
call all 3 big 12 caliber if you want - you’re still not going to win much with a team consisting of only 3 big 12 caliber players
Yeah, that’s why people are saying we needed more from Zion and Lewis, among others. We had no small 4 and lacked size on the wing

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think @mplueg was referring to Bolton having a pretty slow start in the non-con before heating up in the Big 12 and then missing a few games with injuries.

Mid-season Bolton was definitely a B12 level guy -- if not one of the better guards in the conference. He just had an iffy start and a premature end to the season.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think last year was a flawed roster. They really needed Lewis and Griffin to take the next step and they didn’t.

This year there’s more potential.

I would not categorize the Lewis/Griffin issues as roster flaws.

Roster flows would be not having a rim protector in the starting lineup. Not having a ballhawk that can track an opponent's primary ballhandler. Not having a 6'6"ish player who is a stopper on an opponent's hot jump shooter.

Lewis had the foot speed to blow by guys on offense, but he couldn't stay in front of his own shadow on defense.

Griffin was a bad fit as a small-ball 4. My bet is he will be a solid traditional 4 at Chicago State.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
People try to blame Lewis and Griffin too much IMO.

We had a cumulative of 2 Big 12 players last year, that was the problem.
Haliburton 0.75 because of injury
Bolton 0.75 because needs a bit more time
Young 0.5 because only worth a crap last part of season

no one else was Big 12 caliber. I think there was potential from others, but not there yet.

IMO Jacobson was a solid Big12 player. Even though playing 4 highlighted his limitations, he was a solid rebounder and effort guy.

On offense, he should have been a 4th/5th option, but last year he was our 3rd guy.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

no one else was Big 12 caliber. I think there was potential from others, but not there yet.

Lewis living up to his potential and being able to play the 3/4 and Griffin the 4 would have completely changed the dynamic of the team. Jacobson might have been able to get away with some time at the 4, but he shouldn’t have been the option. He’s a five. Ideally Young would be a four, but he’s a five in a fours body.

I don’t think Prohm ever wants that problem again, and he went all out at that position and still might add to it with Smith.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Lewis living up to his potential and being able to play the 3/4 and Griffin the 4 would have completely changed the dynamic of the team. Jacobson might have been able to get away with some time at the 4, but he shouldn’t have been the option. He’s a five. Ideally Young would be a four, but he’s a five in a fours body.

I don’t think Prohm ever wants that problem again, and he went all out at that position and still might add to it with Smith.
I recall reading articles in the Ames Tribune in which Prohm made positive comments about Zion this past fall. I was excited to see him at the 4 this year. I wonder what happened?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I could quibble over the numbers assigned, but I basically agree with this post.
Talent acquisition is a coaches responsibility and the #1 thing, by far, that determines success. #1 by far.
We lacked talent last year - period. Too many players who lacked B12 talent. That is why we are attempting to almost totally revamp our roster for next year. I do not know how many of you played much, but, when the other guy is bigger, stronger, faster and quicker it is hard to look good. Effort only goes so far, because at this level the really gifted guys also play with effort. We desperately need length and quickness. I think in our 4 freshman and two transfers so far, looks like we are headed in the right direction.

Last edited:

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
I wasn’t here the day the pay board joke started. What’s the deal with that? Thanks

the website wouldn’t exist anymore if they didn’t start creating additional revenue due to earning less money from advertising. Businesses need revenue to continue operations

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
the website wouldn’t exist anymore if they didn’t start creating additional revenue due to earning less money from advertising. Businesses need revenue to continue operations

That’s what they want you to believe.

Also I bought a #boydad shirt today. Hope it supports the cause.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Is there significantly more basketball intel on this paywall? There does appear to be more focus on football on most paywalls I've seen.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
On the paywall,CW gives his info when he gets it. So you get early info. It is nice to get early info but I am doing because I want to support the business. If you are able to give up 10/20 $ a month I recommend giving it a shot for at least a month or two.