UT's top receiver protesting by saying he won't play

aobie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2013
Seattle, WA
Thanks for sharing, I'm impressed by the resolve that people like he have for causes that they believe in. Will be interested if it becomes more of a movement or a footnote in the college football landscape.

Reactions: deadeyededric

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
He's not playing or contributing he shouldn't be on scholarship. Give it to another deserving young man that will actually contribute to the team
This is a freezing cold take

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I can see him keeping a scholarship if this were during the school year. But to quit in the summer going into the year, I don't have a problem with Texas not honoring it. Texas would do well by saying that they will support him to find his next step in his athletic career. But to say they have to pay for his school still doesn't make sense.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I applaud his efforts to magnify his voice on an issue past just protesting on the street. More people are impacted by this than had he held up a sign on 6th Street. Some of these incredibly popular coaches could learn from him.

It’s a heavy burden and large cost to put on yourself. Given the leverage he has as a student athlete at a brand program, I wonder if it would have been better for him to try to get UT to take some type of action.

It would be great to see Herman keep him in scholarship. This will be talked about across the nation, particularly amongst his peer group. As such he is adding more value to the program than some 4th string WR.

Reactions: great2baclone

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
Good sentiment from him but if he stops playing then that platform stops growing and probably rather quickly diminishes, sadly.

Maybe a star and future hall of famer like idk... Drew Brees could give it a shot?

EDIT: I now see Drew has legitimately backed up his apology with the latest update: his response to Trump and realizing it was never about the flag. I commend him for this but still think I made a good joke :p

Last edited:

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
tenor.gif

Reactions: huntt26

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
It’s all ignorant. All of it. **** it. To the cave with you.

What is your goal, competitive college football this fall, student athletes being proud of their institutions and performance on the field; or as your post indicates maybe "my way or the highway". Herman's response was right on, I hope this student athlete is on the field when we play them, if not; then I respect his decision.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He's not playing or contributing he shouldn't be on scholarship. Give it to another deserving young man that will actually contribute to the team

You know what, he might. If the kid is willing to sacrifice that much in an attempt to make this country a better place I commend him.

Not sure why morons feel they need to share their opinions on a subject they clearly will never understand.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You know what, he might. If the kid is willing to sacrifice that much in an attempt to make this country a better place I commend him.

Not sure why morons feel they need to share their opinions on a subject they clearly will never understand.
Always great to demean someone who has a different opinion from your own, isn’t it? Makes it lots easier to dismiss someone else’s opinion. o_O

This thread isn’t a discussion or dialogue, it’s a bunch of people making position statements without further explanation.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He’s contributing to the culture and brand of the program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron