***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Because these types of lists are mostly offseason fodder. Is there really much difference in certainty of impact between #20 and #40? Fit is just as important. Maybe the top guys are sure bets, but even then you’ve got guys like the two going to UNC last year.

I know it’s not GT, but Jacobson was an afterthought transfer that filled in and fit well for our needs in 2018-19. Had he grad transfered in the spring, his transfer ranking would have been considerably higher than when leaving NU. We play him at the 4 next to Young, and his impact is less (although still at a level many programs are looking to add).

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Because these types of lists are mostly offseason fodder. Is there really much difference in certainty of impact between #20 and #40? Fit is just as important. Maybe the top guys are sure bets, but even then you’ve got guys like the two going to UNC last year.

I know it’s not GT, but Jacobson was an afterthought transfer that filled in and fit well for our needs in 2018-19. Had he grad transfered in the spring, his transfer ranking would have been considerably higher than when leaving NU. We play him at the 4 next to Young, and his impact is less (although still at a level many programs are looking to add).
Well said. Ranking these mid major guys and trying to determine how they will translate to high majors seems like a crap shoot. That being said, some of the guys ranked above JCL on this list are ridiculous IMO. You got the ULM guy (who's best option ended up being UAB) ranked 12 spots ahead of JCL who has already proven to be a capable HM starter.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

The lists though are the only thing we have to look at how good the transfers are perceived as being. I mean it is the same as recruiting rankings. They aren't then end all and be all but they are useful. In addition, grad transfer ratings and other transfers are rated differently for good reason. Of course Jacobson would have had more suitors as a grad transfer than he did a couple years ago. The market for them is inflated because of immediate needs of schools.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The lists though are the only thing we have to look at how good the transfers are perceived as being. I mean it is the same as recruiting rankings. They aren't then end all and be all but they are useful. In addition, grad transfer ratings and other transfers are rated differently for good reason. Of course Jacobson would have had more suitors as a grad transfer than he did a couple years ago. The market for them is inflated because of immediate needs of schools.
The lists being the only things wouldn’t change the stock you put into it imo. And they’re not the only thing. With most transfers you have complete games to watch and accurate stats. Many of these transfers have been tracked during the season in anticipation of their transfer. It’s like bracket predictions right now. You’re not going to put much stock in a team being viewed as in the first 4 out vs on the correct side of the bubble.

To your last comment, inflated rankings aren’t worth putting a lot of stock in is largely the point. The list linked is more of the entertainment variety than a thorough prediction.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Well said. Ranking these mid major guys and trying to determine how they will translate to high majors seems like a crap shoot. That being said, some of the guys ranked above JCL on this list are ridiculous IMO. You got the ULM guy (who's best option ended up being UAB) ranked 12 spots ahead of JCL who has already proven to be a capable HM starter.
here are the top 15 from 2019-20

@WhoISthis

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 2.44.56 PM.png

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I notice every single one declined in points and all but Clarke declined in rebounds too. Even players that moved lateral or down seemed to have difficulty in attaining the same level they had in the previous season at their old school. I am sure fit and familiarity had something to do with that.

good call out

reason i am not as high on JCL as most. I would be happy with 9 ppg from him for ISU in 2020-21

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
good call out

reason i am not as high on JCL as most. I would be happy with 9 ppg from him for ISU in 2020-21
We can always hope for another Shayok, who doubled points, rebounds and assists at ISU vs last season at UVA.

Attachments

• shayok college.JPG
    shayok college.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Cytown12

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I'm not as interested in looking at whether or not a players scoring output increases when they transfer schools. I'm more interested in the differential. For example, Blackshear was still very, very good for Florida, just with a slightly decreased role.

No one is expecting JCL to walk in an put up 15 ppg, but does he make the team better even if his stats are worse than they were at DePaul? That will be the key.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
ISU would be getting a player built for PF, but wants to play the wing and be the focus of the offense. Along with him comes a very vocal dad.

ISU has had a lot of success with this type of player. Sounds awesome!

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
even more so

I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Expecting a player to leave a school, join a new team and learn a whole new system is far more likely to depress their numbers than inflate them. The Kane/Shayok impact transfers are not the norm but fans point to those few as what is needed. I do think many of us get caught in the hype and expect that impact from all new players.

Still Coleman-Lands and Harris are upgrades on the players they replaced. Justin Smith and Gach would be if they become Cyclones. Getting two eligible will improve next years teams tournament chances over the outlook we had in March. That hope for the fans psyche is what was needed.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I went and supplemented this analysis with the BT numbers for points above replacement and percentage of minutes played. I also added Rasir Bolton.

upload_2020-6-2_16-45-52.png

None of those guys increased their overall efficiency and their playing time, and most of them in fact decreased in both categories when transferring.

There are two huge (and familiar) exceptions to this...

Bolton = slightly more minutes, efficiency went up by 55.0%

Juiston = got A LOT better on both fronts, but he was coming back from major injury after not playing much the previous year... if you compare things to his "true" junior year, then he is not such a positive outlier (2.9 at 74.5% minutes, so he declined in Eugene)

Bolton was probably the best immediately-eligible guy in the country last year. If anybody can find a counterexample, I would be curious to hear it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What was the incident? I’ve totally forgotten.

He killed Dumbledore

After a tie up, Averette swatted at the ball, shoves were exchanged, I think he and Donovan got T'd up. Monte was torching them, almost had a triple double, Averette was still talking all night. Finally boiled over after that jump ball.

Monte+Morris+12+Basketball+Tournament+Quartefinals+BDgifPSdzXrl.jpg