Justin Smith

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Must you **** on absolutely everything Iowa State basketball? It is a really dumb person who obviously hates something but insists on trying to make everyone as miserable as they are.

WE ALL GET IT. You hate Prohm. Go away until he is gone. No one will miss you.

You have me mistaken for someone else, good sir. I’m one of the few optimistic Prohm can get this turned.

Btw, that’s a huge logical leap you made off of a post saying we lacked an Alpha in 2028-19. Are you that miserable that you lose your marbles over what someone posts on a message board? Relax! It will be okay.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, I don't know if I'd call Shayok a real alpha. A great player for sure, but when I think of alpha I think of guys like Royce, Melvin, Georges, Monte etc. Guys that just have a bad ass demeanor and can back it up on the court.
One of our most important Alpha’s was Ejim. Even when he was a role player, if impact is measured by scoring. I’m sure everyone hear knows of his ability to throw basketballs.

Reactions: Halincandenza

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I thinks shes
You have me mistaken for someone else, good sir. I’m one of the few optimistic Prohm can get this turned.

Btw, that’s a huge logical leap you made off of a post saying we lacked an Alpha in 2028-19. Are you that miserable that you lose your marbles over what someone posts on a message board? Relax! It will be okay.

I think she’s a girl

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Sorry, I swear there was someone with a "Who" in their name doing a lot of ******** about Prohm. I should have been sure before I said anything though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hence why the turnover wigginton is a far more useful statistic.

Not a parlor trick.

I guess I prefer to look on the brightside. He was what he was. Gave us some great moments too.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I guess I prefer to look on the brightside. He was what he was. Gave us some great moments too.

That is nice of you to think of the good things and the highlights -- but we have to guard against undue nostalgia. It can make the present feel rotten.

Wigginton had some high-highs and SportsCenter moments, but he was an above average B12 SG. I would take, for instance, Naz Mitrou-Long or Matt Thomas before him. I would certainly take Marial Shayok over Wigginton.

I think his largest problem was just he thought was better than he was. If you take out his boneheaded plays... the very high turnover rate and 1:1 A:T ratio for what was supposed to be a PG, and a pretty poor 2-pt percentage, which indicates poor decision-making and shot selection to me where he tried to force it too often... and he turns into a really good player on the offensive end. On defense, there is no excuse that somebody with his athleticism should not have been a plus defender and a pest to opponents.

Don't get me wrong -- fine player that I would love to have back. But he was not a machine, and Bolton was/is an adequate replacement. He had a lot more wiggintons of my type than he had four-point plays worth remembering.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
touchdown_newthumb.png

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That is nice of you to think of the good things and the highlights -- but we have to guard against undue nostalgia. It can make the present feel rotten.

Wigginton had some high-highs and SportsCenter moments, but he was an above average B12 SG. I would take, for instance, Naz Mitrou-Long or Matt Thomas before him. I would certainly take Marial Shayok over Wigginton.

I think his largest problem was just he thought was better than he was. If you take out his boneheaded plays... the very high turnover rate and 1:1 A:T ratio for what was supposed to be a PG, and a pretty poor 2-pt percentage, which indicates poor decision-making and shot selection to me where he tried to force it too often... and he turns into a really good player on the offensive end. On defense, there is no excuse that somebody with his athleticism should not have been a plus defender and a pest to opponents.

Don't get me wrong -- fine player that I would love to have back. But he was not a machine, and Bolton was/is an adequate replacement. He had a lot more wiggintons of my type than he had four-point plays worth remembering.

He didn’t have a memorable career at all really. I just don’t see why we need to bang on the guy. He’s gone, it didn’t totally work out here. That’s ok, it happens.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
No, when they fell to 9-9 and 5th place mid-Feb to mid-March. Being an alpha is more than being a leading scorer.
Go take a look at what Shayok did the last few conference games, the Big12 tournament and NCAA tournament. The guy was was big in big games and hit big shots.

The problem last year was there were guys in the team that thought they were as good as Shayok (they weren't) and took too many early clock shots. Meanwhile Shayok seemed to get the ball in the "Oh ****, the offense has broken down and there's 7 on the shot clock" moments.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He didn’t have a memorable career at all really. I just don’t see why we need to bang on the guy. He’s gone, it didn’t totally work out here. That’s ok, it happens.

There are plenty of Prohm haters that bag on Prohm a million times more than I have on Wigginton. They oftentimes hold up Wigginton's "mishandling" as a key piece of evidence against Prohm (or at least they did until they had the W-L record of the past season). That Wigginton somehow should have been (1.) starting, (2.) playing PG, or (3.) playing more minutes at higher usage. That would have fixed things.

(1.) He played more minutes than THT. He was a good shooter, but turned it over a lot. Shayok, Nick, and Haliburton were better/more efficient players.

(2.) Oh, wow, that would have been bad.

(3.) See #1, and remember Wigginton was probably the weakest defender of our guards that season. Prohm handled him at about the right minutes/usage.

I got a little sick of Wigginton being held up as the martyr to Prohm being an awful coach, so hence why I made up the wigginton to remind everybody how often he did that and to remember he was a good college player but not an outstanding one. We have had at least a half-dozen better shooting guards on the team in the past decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: heitclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just don’t like taking pot shots at players who aren’t even here anymore. I think it’s trash. Continue on the crusade though, be my guest.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
There are plenty of Prohm haters that bag on Prohm a million times more than I have on Wigginton. They oftentimes hold up Wigginton's "mishandling" as a key piece of evidence against Prohm (or at least they did until they had the W-L record of the past season). That Wigginton somehow should have been (1.) starting, (2.) playing PG, or (3.) playing more minutes at higher usage. That would have fixed things.

(1.) He played more minutes than THT. He was a good shooter, but turned it over a lot. Shayok, Nick, and Haliburton were better/more efficient players.

(3.) See #1, and remember Wigginton was probably the weakest defender of our guards that season. Prohm handled him at about the right minutes/usage.

I got a little sick of Wigginton being held up as the martyr to Prohm being an awful coach, so hence why I made up the wigginton to remind everybody how often he did that and to remember he was a good college player but not an outstanding one. We have had at lease a half-dozen better shooting guards on the team in the past decade.
Prohm is paid millions of dollars to be a competent coach Wigginton was not compensated at nearly that level.

Last edited:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I got a little sick of Wigginton being held up as the martyr to Prohm being an awful coach, so hence why I made up the wigginton to remind everybody how often he did that and to remember he was a good college player but not an outstanding one. We have had at lease a half-dozen better shooting guards on the team in the past decade.

Wigg. won the 6th man award, averaged 15 pts/gm over the last 12 games, and shot about 50% in those games. His injury had a lot to do with his play that year. He also would have won the Freshman of the Year award but for Trae Young. So, let's not pretend he was a total failure at ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: aobie

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

100% agree with this. It's too bad Wigginton didn't overlap with Monte/Thomas/Naz. He needed some leadership and willingness to accept it.

After all of the scouting reports, who would have thought Wigginton would be a plus 3pt shooter and a liability as a slasher.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I don't think it was totally on Prohm but these two for whatever reason, never seemed on the same page. LW wanted to be a PG, he wasn't, Prohm knew it but had promised him a shot to play PG during recruitment. I assume Prohm communicated that to him but I don't think LW ever accepted that. Which just seems odd because he wasn't even PG on his high school team. He just clung too tightly to the NBA assessments that had him as a PG. Prohm is open to plenty of criticism for his coaching but if he can't make a PG out of you, you aren't one.

LW played the perfect role his SO year, he's suited pretty well to be the gunner off the bench. I think back to NBA guys like Joe Dumars or Bobby Jackson, guys who weren't PG's but in the reserve role had enough combo guard skills to be the guy you ran the offense through. NBA was always a long shot for him but he was more likely to fill that role than PG, he was just too big a liability on defense. He just never totally bought in to that role. He's very skilled and as good an athlete as we've had in a long time, probably had as high as ceiling as anyone as well, he was an exciting player to watch (for better or worse) but he'll go down as a "what could have been".

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I don't think it was totally on Prohm but these two for whatever reason, never seemed on the same page. LW wanted to be a PG, he wasn't, Prohm knew it but had promised him a shot to play PG during recruitment. I assume Prohm communicated that to him but I don't think LW ever accepted that. Which just seems odd because he wasn't even PG on his high school team. He just clung too tightly to the NBA assessments that had him as a PG. Prohm is open to plenty of criticism for his coaching but if he can't make a PG out of you, you aren't one.

LW played the perfect role his SO year, he's suited pretty well to be the gunner off the bench. I think back to NBA guys like Joe Dumars or Bobby Jackson, guys who weren't PG's but in the reserve role had enough combo guard skills to be the guy you ran the offense through. NBA was always a long shot for him but he was more likely to fill that role than PG, he was just too big a liability on defense. He just never totally bought in to that role. He's very skilled and as good an athlete as we've had in a long time, probably had as high as ceiling as anyone as well, he was an exciting player to watch (for better or worse) but he'll go down as a "what could have been".
My fondest memory of LW was the Big 12 championship game vs. KU. He took over the second half, and I thought he was clearly the best player on both sides in that particular game.

Reactions: heitclone