Justin Smith

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
When are we gonna hear more info on his recruitment? I’m seeing a lot of Illinois and Purdue but no ISU. What is it with B1G transfers and staying in conference?
I have not seen much Purdue. I mean if you searched JCL on Twitter all you seen was Michigan stuff. Recruiting is weird man. Lots of things are kept silent when coaches and media don't say a whole lot even when they are on the know. Last I heard ISU was the team to beat for him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've heard from the same people I received my JCL info from that we're sitting well with Smith. That's not me saying we're going to get him or anything along those lines, but look to see our name on his final 3-5 list of suitors.

Reactions: CTTB78 and Snyder21

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I've heard from the same people I received my JCL info from that we're sitting well with Smith. That's not me saying we're going to get him or anything along those lines, but look to see our name on his final 3-5 list of suitors.

ISU recruited him out of high school, so there's a prior relationship there. Which only helps.

I'd be excited, but still not expecting it with the heavy competition for him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ISU recruited him out of high school, so there's a prior relationship there. Which only helps.

I'd be excited, but still not expecting it with the heavy competition for him.
Yeah I absolutely don't think anyone should expect him to come here, but we shouldn't be surprised if he does.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
If we land Smith are we a tournament team again? I would feel good about this if the freshman don’t have to be left out to dry too much this year and they can ease their way into the rotation to develop more. This class we have is great and I think if the guys aren’t expected to be playing 20+ minutes at once, by the time they hit sophomore year they should be better developed.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If we land Smith are we a tournament team again? I would feel good about this if the freshman don’t have to be left out to dry too much this year and they can ease their way into the rotation to develop more. This class we have is great and I think if the guys aren’t expected to be playing 20+ minutes at once, by the time they hit sophomore year they should be better developed.

If we land Smith and get Harris eligible I think we're a tourney team

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
National Invitational Tournament
100% going to the NIT, with Harris eligible and Smith ends up in Ames, we'll have a pretty good shot of making the tournament. Remember, we don't have to be as good of a team as we have been to make the tournament. We can make it with 17-18 wins as long as we have a good resume.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
100% going to the NIT, with Harris eligible and Smith ends up in Ames, we'll have a pretty good shot of making the tournament. Remember, we don't have to be as good of a team as we have been to make the tournament. We can make it with 17-18 wins as long as we have a good resume.

What worries me is the ability to build a good resume

Whats a realistic expectation for a non-con record with so many new pieces?

• Oregon State
  • DePaul
  • Illinois/Oregon/Florida
  • at Iowa
  • SEC TBD
  • 7 TBD mid/low majors

should also be noted ISU is 5-27 on the road the last 3 seasons

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

• Oregon State
  • DePaul
  • at Iowa
  • SEC TBD
  • 7 TBD mid/low majors

Oregon State - WIN
DePaul - WIN
Illinois/Oregon/Florida - Likely 0-2, 1-1 would be terrific
Illinois/Oregon/Florida
at Iowa - LOSS
SEC TBD - TBD
7 TBD mid/low majors - 7-0

9-4/10-3 seems realistic.
11-2 would be fantastic.
8-5 would be a disappointment and require a winning Big 12 record to make the tournament.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
With a stellar freshman class, and with the addition of three really solid transfers (along with returning some talented guys), I think the tournament is the realistic goal if the team gels.

I do not want to speak ill of the dead, but there was a lot of addition by subtraction, too. Jacobson and Nixon were not problems at all, but they were just not very good at the B12 level when expected to be some of your highest-usage and highest-reliance guys. Lewis and Griffin sounded more like problems than assets. I do miss Grill because of his remaining upside, though, but he is something we can replace.

• Oregon State
  • DePaul
  • at Iowa
  • SEC TBD
  • 7 TBD mid/low majors

I would hope the committee would recognize a challenging schedule, too, and not just loading up on cream puffs. The world has changed from 10-15 years ago. You are going to (and should, too) have more vexing OOC games.

And that is a good thing -- I would rather watch us play that schedule than the equivalent schedule from the McDermott years, which would have taken out 2-4 of those high-major match-ups for games against UNI and Drake (which are at least interesting) and then SW Southern State types to make up the balance. Yeah, we are going to lose more games, but it is more interesting than leading the lambs to the slaughter.

We have plenty of those games yet still.

Plus, we play 18 games in the B12 now, not 16 like we originally did.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

• Oregon State
  • DePaul
  • at Iowa
  • SEC TBD
  • 7 TBD mid/low majors

So first of all we have been very bad 2 out of the last 3 seasons, so I understand that record, even if it's bad. And I can't truly guess on how we do in those games until all of our roster questions are answered. Will Harris be eligible and who else are we going to add? Will it be Smith? If the answer is yes to both of those, I see us beating Oregon State, beating DePaul, going 1-2 or 2-1 in the tournament, probably a L @ Iowa but who knows, I think we get the W at home against the SEC opponent (if it's at home), and then I see us beating all 7 mid/low majors.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Oregon State - WIN
DePaul - WIN
Illinois/Oregon/Florida - Likely 0-2, 1-1 would be terrific
Illinois/Oregon/Florida
at Iowa - LOSS
SEC TBD - TBD
7 TBD mid/low majors - 7-0

9-4/10-3 seems realistic.
11-2 would be fantastic.
8-5 would be a disappointment and require a winning Big 12 record to make the tournament.

ok so say ISU goes 10-3 in non con.

Steve is averaging 8 wins and 10 losses thru 5 years at ISU. Let's say he hits that

is 18-13 going to put you in NCAA tournament? Youre on the bubble for sure.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

• Oregon State
  • DePaul
  • at Iowa
  • SEC TBD
  • 7 TBD mid/low majors

The thing is, even after the FAMU loss last year, metrics still had us with a 50ish % chance to make the tourney. That was with one quality win. Essentially, we'd have to win 9/10 games in the non con and 8 or 9 in the league. IMO the latter will be the bigger chore as tough as the league is looking.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
ok so say ISU goes 10-3 in non con.

Steve is averaging 8 wins and 10 losses thru 5 years at ISU. Let's say he hits that

is 18-13 going to put you in NCAA tournament? Youre on the bubble for sure.

id take a bubble team this year, honestly

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
So first of all we have been very bad 2 out of the last 3 seasons, so I understand that record, even if it's bad.

all 5 years at ISU steve is 14-40 on the road

i dont expect any coach to have some winning record away from home, but 26% seems... low? maybe im off base and thats about right for a P5 school that plays in a conference like the big 12

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
all 5 years at ISU steve is 14-40 on the road

i dont expect any coach to have some winning record away from home, but 26% seems... low? maybe im off base and thats about right for a P5 school that plays in a conference like the big 12
Not entirely sure. I think the two years absolutely kills Prohm's percentage though, which is still on him don't get me wrong. What helps us next year on the road is the fact that if things swing our way with Harris and Smith, you're looking at a very seasoned team and that certainly helps on the road.

Prohm has certainly had some bad road experiences but he's had quite a few good ones as well. @ Cincy his first year. The D-Jack game @ Phog Allen, @ Ole Miss, @ K-State, and @ Texas Tech two years ago. Those are just a few and there's probably more.