Friday OT #2 - The Doldrums

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Whether or not you are working right now, I think boredom and doldrums have it everyone to some degree.

What is the weirdest thing you have done to amuse yourself during this time? I made a playlist about songs about birds (harder than it sounds), and also photoshopped different sea life into photos from the 1950s to look like monster movies.

Anyone else going nuts slowly? What is keeping you from going The Shining?

Reactions: mj4cy and bos

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Whether or not you are working right now, I think boredom and doldrums have it everyone to some degree.

What is the weirdest thing you have done to amuse yourself during this time? I made a playlist about songs about birds (harder than it sounds), and also photoshopped different sea life into photos from the 1950s to look like monster movies.

I've been experimenting with various carpet line designs when I vacuum. I had my damn carpet checker patterned the other day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Generally I've been fine and go outside if I'm feeling pent up.

I did get all gear, food, etc. packed and ready for a camping trip that's not happening for about a month which is unusual for me.

Otherwise I've thought long and hard about getting rid of a bunch of crap...but it's still there.

Reactions: Angie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Sent home in March and it's now June. Was told I won't be back in the office until September at the earliest. I LIKE the office.

So I announced my retirement for October 1 and will never again set foot in my building.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm not a video game guy, but my younger daughter introduced me to Red Dead Redemption 2 on the PS4, it makes for a nice therapeutic escape on rainy days.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Attachments

• 3627E5F8-2875-4FA3-B644-83B1273E17D2.jpeg
    3627E5F8-2875-4FA3-B644-83B1273E17D2.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 52

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Unfortunately I don't currently have boredom issues right now, if anything this current situation has made things more hectic than they usually are in our household. Wife is working from home and probably putting in more hours than usual plus having either 1 or both kids home at the same time too. The oldest is in kindergarten so we had to keep her occupied with stuff during the day and our youngest is 3 so we still send her to daycare on days my wife has a busy day of meetings and phone calls where the 3 year old makes it hard for her to be able to talk and present on some calls when she may be in the background throwing a fit or something. I have been going into the office all this time and had additional responsibilities put on my plate as well so just getting any amount of down time is refreshing at the moment. Most nights once we get the 2 kids to bed we just want to relax for a couple hours and many nights my wife is so worn out from the day she usually falls asleep on the couch while we are watching a show.

I've got a whole list of projects around the house I'd like to do if I ever find some spare time to do them. I had high hopes I would be able to get to some of the neglected places in the house that need cleaned up and organized this year but since they canceled our city spring cleanup day where you could dispose of stuff for free and places were closed for donations too those things are basically on the back burner until I have a way to get rid of stuff again. They keep pushing back the start date of the rec softball league I usually play one night a week and I completely understand why. Sounds like that may finally start in 2 weeks now that restrictions have been lifted so at least for me that will be a nice release to be out of the house 1 night a week for something I normally would be doing this time of the year.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

@VeloClone - but they are just SO bad! I was doing them while on a Zoom with some girlfriends for our weekly happy hour. The trick is finding photos with an empty space!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have re-read two random books*. I really think I need to read something new.

*'Salem's Lot and Jurassic Park. I had forgotten what an ******* Hammond was in the book, not the dottering, idealistic little fool that Richard Attenborough played in the film.
Compys got him.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here is some fodder for you, Angie...

1950-1950s-young-teen-girl-smiling-stock-photo__w2378.jpg

Opening-Day-1950-photo-1.png

31503468990_a8bea201f7_b.jpg

tumblr_mfbf3xkgjk1r34pqeo1_500.png

tumblr_m1gt34Efyr1r6rdxqo1_500.png

willoughby-atd-011220.jpg

1950s-rural-road-outside-of-town-vintage-images.jpg

Reactions: oldman

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Well, let's see.....I raked the gravel in the driveway in a crosshatch pattern....re-arranged the rocks in the front bed in neat rows....cleaned all my combs....

Whaddaya talkin about? I'm not OCD!!!!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I installed some old computer games. The Sims and Rollercoaster Tycoon. Games that I played as a child. Much different to try to be successful without using money cheats. Also, harder to build a 10,000 square foot house with 10 grand pianos.