Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Dan Dennis is taking over as coach of the HWC

giphy.gif

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Imagining having to go cheap and replace Mark Perry with a guy that never won an NCAA title. Hell Dennis never even won a Big Ten title or even a state title in high school lol

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting. I would have expected a bigger name to be pursued honestly. Dennis is obviously a Brands guy, but I think that's probably a significant step back from Perry both on and off the mat.

DD is one of the more beloved Iowa wrestlers in recent history, is an Olympian, embodies the Iowa culture, can train/roll w/push guys at lower and middle weights, and has the respect of every wrestler in the room.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Imagining having to go cheap and replace Mark Perry with a guy that never won an NCAA title. Hell Dennis never even won a Big Ten title or even a state title in high school lol

If they did need to shave costs to save up for Lee/Kem, I think it was a smart move to hire Dennis. He is an extremely hard worker, has some freestyle success, and fits the Iowa style/what Tom and Terry are looking for. Sure it might be a slight downgrade from Perry, but overall I think this was a good hire by the HWC

Reactions: Boxer007

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
DD is one of the more beloved Iowa wrestlers in recent history, is an Olympian, embodies the Iowa culture, can train/roll w/push guys at lower and middle weights, and has the respect of every wrestler in the room.
That's fine, but just because he's a TNT/Hawk fan favorite doesn't make the hire exempt from questioning. I think it's pretty fair to say Dennis is a step down from Perry in terms of national cachet, no?

To me it just cements the fact that the HWC plan is to keep Lee/Kemerer/Marinelli/Eierman around post-graduation. Not necessarily a bad plan, but there is inherent risk in becoming such an insular program. Feels more like a circle the wagons type of move, as opposed to getting out and chasing either a higher profile coach or top tier senior athletes (ala Snyder/Cox/Gilman's recent moves)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Like one of those pickup campers? I think I would go stir crazy in a situation like that.

That was the story when he came back and made a run for the 2016 Olympics. Not sure if it was a pickup camper, heck might of been a station wagon.

He does seem like a very grounded guy and hard to hate, but I don't look at it as a homerun hire.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
That's fine, but just because he's a TNT/Hawk fan favorite doesn't make the hire exempt from questioning. I think it's pretty fair to say Dennis is a step down from Perry in terms of national cachet, no?

To me it just cements the fact that the HWC plan is to keep Lee/Kemerer/Marinelli/Eierman around post-graduation. Not necessarily a bad plan, but there is inherent risk in becoming such an insular program. Feels more like a circle the wagons type of move, as opposed to getting out and chasing either a higher profile coach or top tier senior athletes (ala Snyder/Cox/Gilman's recent moves)

You do realize the plan for the CRTC is to be all ISU guys too right?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I'll take that. Bull has already talked about how much he likes the DD hire. I'll put my trust in TnT, they know what they're doing. DD's a world-class freestyle guy they all respect and admire.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
You do realize the plan for the CRTC is to be all ISU guys too right?
CRTC doesn't necessarily have a choice at this point in time, does it? Unless there is a pile of money we don't know about, the CRTC isn't established enough to pull high level senior athletes from outside our program. Nate Carr has great credentials, but we all know David is a big part of why he's there.

I don't think it's a bad thing to admit that HWC is in a much more attractive financial and training position that the CRTC. 5+ years from now maybe that's a different story.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
CRTC doesn't necessarily have a choice at this point in time, does it? Unless there is a pile of money we don't know about, the CRTC isn't established enough to pull high level senior athletes from outside our program. Nate Carr has great credentials, but we all know David is a big part of why he's there.

I don't think it's a bad thing to admit that HWC is in a much more attractive financial and training position that the CRTC. 5+ years from now maybe that's a different story.
I didn't say anything about if the CRTC has a choice or not. They have stated that is the plan. I dont like Iowa either but to I would love to have their problems right now.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Imagine having one of the best wrestling programs, if not the best, in college wrestling and hiring DD. Then saying at the same time money wasnt a factor. This is by no means a knock on DD, but if the funds are there, one would think they go after bigger names.

Reactions: cycloneman003

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Imagine having one of the best wrestling programs, if not the best, in college wrestling and hiring DD. Then saying at the same time money wasnt a factor. This is by no means a knock on DD, but if the funds are there, one would think they go after bigger names.

Ask any hawk fan, DD is a dream hire.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

Yeah it was definitely a move to save money. But if they needed to do this to keep Lee, Marinelli, Kem around then it is probably worth it for them.