Gomez

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Well we used to sell unwavering loyal fans that supported the players thru thick and thin but that's not really happening anymore....people are too spoiled.
That's what gonna happen when you lose to MEAC teams and constantly get stomped at home and it's insane to expect anyone to want to keep spending money on a product as awful as it was last year

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The best proof somebody can do something is having done it.

The 2019 season might have been a disappointment for many for various reasons, and I am not going to try and litigate those disappointments right now.

We were nonetheless a #6 seed and won the Big 12 tournament. If I promised you that for next year, that would be a resounding success.

McDemott never sniffed anything even remotely like that while in Ames.

Where are you wrong -- there. The best evidence we have is that he did it.

I know the path forward right now is murky, especially if you assume Prohm strikes out in spring recruiting, the four incoming freshmen are unready, and nobody else on the roster develops a smidgen, all of which you are probably doing.

But I have seen Prohm do it. I never saw McDermott do it.

I do not know if you and I are that far apart right now. I am bearish, too, but there still might be a path forward. One or two guys can completely change a program.

Prohm is starting to feel like Rhoads -- came into a situation with some talent and did well with it, put together a good team but never got over the hump with it, and then flamed out. I hope I am wrong. I just choose to look at the hopeful paths forward rather than assuming the worst. Like I said, if you hit on one big fish, everything changes.

I think Prohm is going to get next year and then probably the year after with seniors Bolton, Conditt, and Johnson and whatever else he can recruit in the next twelve months. You might not like that, but that feels like Pollard's MO with struggling coaches.

And that team either wins or Prohm needs some cardboard boxes.

This year may be comparable to CPR's 2013 season and he got two more seasons, and I'm not sure if he's even let go if not for the meltdown at KSU.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This year may be comparable to CPR's 2013 season and he got two more seasons, and I'm not sure if he's even let go if not for the meltdown at KSU.
I punched a hole through a wall in my house during that game..

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
There is no Kane! ISU will not get a player like him, maybe I should have been more clear.

Adding Kane to next year no matter how many boxes he checks, does not make this a tourney team. I have no idea how good the freshman class is, I hope its great. I doubt it's good enough to make an immediate impact program wide though.

Did you see the team that played after Tyresse got hurt? We only got 9th because we had him half the conference season. Bolton, Young, Conditt, Jackson...all role players on a top half Big 12 conference team...with maybe Bolton being the exception. In other words, adding a Kane would be like keeping a Tyresse...and we all saw what this team is like WITH a Tyresse...not good. We just lost a lottery pick off a bad team. Zero chance next year is successful...doesn't matter who transfers in.

And let's all not forget the conference will be much tougher next year. We stunk in a down year for the conference. Next year our schedule will be much tougher.
I never said or implied there was! You’re the one that brought up Kane. That said, Turner is very good, and a Turner + Creighton PG combo would give us a good chance. A lineup of Mintz, Turner, Bolton, Johnson, Young with Jackson, Conditt, Foster, Dubar/Blackwell is a better team than anything we had last year, despite not having a Lottery pick.

In your hypothetical, A player like Kane would make this a tournament team. You don’t need a lot more when you have an All American! He makes everyone else better. Kane, Bolton, Young, Conditt, Jackson, and Johnson may not win the conference, but it’s going to be around .500. Add some help from the freshmen and the other 3 spots, and .500 in conference play is attainable.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
But what do you expect? People to still pay $200 to watch us get our ***es kicked?

Given the product on the floor we've had great fan support. Fan support could not be further from the issue.

Where did I say anything about fan support being the issue? I responded to the claim "we have nothing to sell recruits" I think it was easier to sell a loyal fanbase awhile than now. Surprise surprise message board overreaction.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Where did I say anything about fan support being the issue? I responded to the claim "we have nothing to sell recruits" I think it was easier to sell a loyal fanbase awhile than now. Surprise surprise message board overreaction.

You stated “We used to have loyal favs that supported our players....”. I’m not sure how you can interpret that other than the fans are part of the problem.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
In your hypothetical, A player like Kane would make this a tournament team. You don’t need a lot more when you have an All American! He makes everyone else better. Kane, Bolton, Young, Conditt, Jackson, and Johnson may not win the conference, but it’s going to be around .500. Add some help from the freshmen and the other 3 spots, and .500 in conference play is attainable.

We HAD an all american, that made everyone around him better and won 12 games. We got demolished with an all american on the floor. A player who undoubtedly made everyone around him better along with bringing the ability to score. Simply put TH is irreplaceable and we were bad WITH him...this team was not even close to being good. They got absolutely embarrassed throughout the whole season. This isn't a situation can be healed by one good player. We had a good (great) player and still stunk. Its a program wide talent gap.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
We HAD an all american, that made everyone around him better and won 12 games. We got demolished with an all american on the floor. A player who undoubtedly made everyone around him better along with bringing the ability to score. Simply put TH is irreplaceable and we were bad WITH him...this team was not even close to being good. They got absolutely embarrassed throughout the whole season. This isn't a situation can be healed by one good player. We had a good (great) player and still stunk. Its a program wide talent gap.

Haliburton is a facilitator, but we had a lack of a key or lead scorer. One player could have made the difference. Specifically a Niang, Burton, Shayok type player.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah.. and Prohm is bringing in a pretty darn good recruiting class to fix that. Lewis and Griffin are gone and are providing opportunities to bring in guys to help out. If you can't look at next year's roster and see the difference in the height, length, athleticism, and overall basketball ability then I don't know what to tell you. Next year's freshman should not have even close to the learning curve that last year's freshman had. The guys that are coming back from last years team should all have improved. Johnson is providing something that we desperately missed last year.

Halliburton on last year's team is different than Halliburton on what next year's team is going to be. There is going to be 2x more talent all around on next years team.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I guess we'll all find out together next year how good this team is without Halliburton...

I'm not saying this team as is will be better. It depends if we land or have in a freshmen what we lack. Right now, a pg and a stretch forward or point forward. A big guard.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I guess we'll all find out together next year how good this team is without Halliburton...
We played 30% of the season without Tyrese last year.. I think we got a good look at what last year's team looked like without him. We're literally losing 6 players from last year's team. We're going to look completely different.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
We played 30% of the season without Tyrese last year.. I think we got a good look at what last year's team looked like without him. We're literally losing 6 players from last year's team. We're going to look completely different.

Having Tyrese all year wouldn't have fixed what was lacking. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss him like any of the isu greats. But we lacked one quality scoring mismatch.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Having Tyrese all year wouldn't have fixed what was lacking. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss him like any of the isu greats. But we lacked one quality scoring mismatch.
Offensively, yes. Defensively, we missed length and athleticism. We were outmatched constantly on that end. Our freshman and Johnson should help with that in some capacity. Getting a couple of transfers is the key though.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Offensively, yes. Defensively, we missed length and athleticism. We were outmatched constantly on that end. Our freshman and Johnson should help with that in some capacity. Getting a couple of transfers is the key though.

Sign me up for two good transfers. A pg and sf. Losing hope a little.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Haliburton was great. But he’s a Robin. We needed a Batman. This season could have been way different if Wigginton returned. Even Lard should have been back, but I understand why we had to move on from him.

It’s unfortunate that Prohm can’t reload every year, his biggest problem is the players he gets are too good. Last years class was a bust(that’s why two left before the season started because we had better options ready to commit), but this years looks to be very good again.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sign me up for two good transfers. A pg and sf. Losing hope a little.
Yeah I think everyone is. And I even am. But I think everyone needs to remember that we're still early in this process. Us not getting someone right now does not mean next year is a lost cause. If we're in mid-May and we don't have anyone of significance signed, then we should start to worry. But even today, there were guys that decided they were transferring. This will continue for the next few weeks too. I'm confident we'll end up in a better situation than we're currently in.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Haliburton was great. But he’s a Robin. We needed a Batman. This season could have been way different if Wigginton returned. Even Lard should have been back, but I understand why we had to move on from him.

It’s unfortunate that Prohm can’t reload every year, his biggest problem is the players he gets are too good. Last years class was a bust(that’s why two left before the season started because we had better options ready to commit), but this years looks to be very good again.

The list of recruits he's brought in that never made a significant impact here is longer than the guys who were "too good". Over half his HS recruits have been busts. This narrative is totally false.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah.. and Prohm is bringing in a pretty darn good recruiting class to fix that. Lewis and Griffin are gone and are providing opportunities to bring in guys to help out. If you can't look at next year's roster and see the difference in the height, length, athleticism, and overall basketball ability then I don't know what to tell you. Next year's freshman should not have even close to the learning curve that last year's freshman had. The guys that are coming back from last years team should all have improved. Johnson is providing something that we desperately missed last year.

Halliburton on last year's team is different than Halliburton on what next year's team is going to be. There is going to be 2x more talent all around on next years team.

Honestly, where does the bolded even come from? We literally have not seen any of the people you are talking about play one second of Big 12 basketball.

Our recruiting class is pretty good, but lets be a bit realistic. Only one of those guys is on the Rivals Top 150. And Javan Johnson may wind up good, but he averages 10 PPG at Troy. Let's just be a bit realistic.

It's just such typical fandom to say everyone who is gone was horrible and everyone who is coming in is awesome.