***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclone560

May 25, 2017
I'm not so certain of Mintz. While his numbers do look pretty decent, especially for Big East play, he's never been in charge of leading the offense. On the teams he's been on, he's never really been better than 4th best guard.
16-17: Marcus Foster, Kyrie Thomas, Maurice Watson
17-18: Marcus Foster, Kyrie Thomas, Mitch Ballock
18-19: Mitch Ballock, Ty-Shon Alexander, Marcus Zegarowski (Mintz's numbers were basically even with Zegarowski, but Zegarowski was more the lead guard in the second half of the season.)

I'm not saying he definitely can not become the lead guy, but I'd feel more confident if there's at least one alpha in front of him.

I certainly agree, don't think he was ever their lead guy or even really close to it, but he played significant minutes at the point for some good teams. I think he would be a good get just to have at least an experienced point guard, which I think we need mainly so that Bolton could play off the ball again where his skill set is best suited. Especially if could get any of these other guys that are more scorer type transfers in as well, a guy like Mintz I think could fit into a much needed role and really elevate the team around him based on filling that role and letting others slot better into their more favorable roles/positions.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Relating this to Foster, it’s why he’s not likely to be our 4. Just like MJ, you’re going to struggle if you don’t get the benefits of being “big”, just the negatives. Foster will be a better shot-blocker, but as a freshman he’s not going to defend the perimeter better, rebound or defend in the paint better, and may not shoot college 3Ps much better.

A sophomore or junior Foster, hopefully that’s different!

Right, it’s understandable why MJ played. Had JJ, Blackwell, or even Dubar been available, MJ sees less time at the 4.

Like I said, we’re in trouble if that’s the case next year. Foster is unlikely to be better than MJ as a freshman. The wings should see a lot of time there.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say that Foster is our answer at the 4. I brought it up because it seemed others were plugging him, Solo and Conditt in at the 5 and assuming we can't play two bigs on the floor at once. We didn't do it effectively last year, but to assume we will go with four-out-one-in isn't necessarily driven by what our personnel will be.

Certainly looks that Steve prefers a four out offense, but if you personnel can't play it and you can't successfully recruit to it, then you have to look at alternatives or eventually hit the road. One of the things Fred did well while here was exploit match-ups, and change to use the personnel he had. No great point guard? Use the point forward skills you have on the team where we see Royce or Niang bring the ball up. Not great size? Spread the floor and make the other team pay with 3's or drives off the bounce when they try to play bigger. If you don't have the talent to exploit any of those options, then you have really long years.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He's an athletic 7 footer who has the ability to stretch the floor while also being able to post up guys that are smaller than him. If he can do both of those things, he'll play the 4 sometimes.
He’s athletic for a 7-footer. He’ll struggle to defend as a four.

Yeah, he’ll play the 4 sometimes. I mean, Zion played the 4 sometimes! MJ played a lot of 4 last year, and if that’s Foster next year, results will be similar imo.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He’s athletic for a 7-footer. He’ll struggle to defend as a four.

Yeah, he’ll play the 4 sometimes. I mean, Zion played the 4 sometimes! MJ played a lot of 4 last year, and if that’s Foster next year, results will be similar imo.
Right away, I don't expect him to be able to defend a small ball 4 well, however if it's clear he should be starting halfway through the year, I'm not sure where else you'd put him? Especially if Solomon is solid at his position.

Mike was inept at the 4 on both ends of the floor because he was not aggressive at all offensively and defensively he couldn't move his feet or get back into some sort of position to defend a shot. With Fosters length, a guy could theoretically blow by him and he has the ability to block or at least contest his shot at the rim. That's certainly a positive.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly, the huge increase in sit out transfers and grad transfers have probably hurt JUCO players some. Once you get outside of the top 20 JUCO players it gets to be a real crap shoot. You also have to remember that a lot of JUCO kids have other things that a head coach needs to take into consideration.

And prep schools. Many guys take a 5th year at a prep school to get fully eligible as opposed to going to a JC now.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I certainly agree, don't think he was ever their lead guy or even really close to it, but he played significant minutes at the point for some good teams. I think he would be a good get just to have at least an experienced point guard, which I think we need mainly so that Bolton could play off the ball again where his skill set is best suited. Especially if could get any of these other guys that are more scorer type transfers in as well, a guy like Mintz I think could fit into a much needed role and really elevate the team around him based on filling that role and letting others slot better into their more favorable roles/positions.
There's just different strategies to take this spring. Absolute #1 priority should be a guy that can score. A go to guy that has different ways of putting the ball thru the hoop. #2 should be a guy that can handle the ball, and facilitate the offense.
So far, with Turner and Aiken, it looks like Prohm is combining 1&2. Which is fine, but if he happens to miss on both of them, then absolutely get a guy like Mintz or Buggs for priority #2, then you're free to go after anyone in the portal that is a scorer.
I'm not so certain this strategy isn't the better option. It's gives you more options to fill the #1 priority.

Reactions: Statefan10

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not a great day on transfer news... This thread could get bleak (more so even) for a while.

@jakeweingarten Rice transfer Trey Murphy III is down to four finalists, he told @Stockrisers: Villanova, Virginia, Houston and Pittsburgh. He’s conducted virtual calls but is yet to have his decision date.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Something just doesn't seem to be adding up...I don't know if it is Prohm inability to recruit well in a short period of time or what...But we have a HC and a program really who has put a pretty decent amount of kids into the NBA lately..Moreso than most..Have a Soph PG who is going to be a Lottery pick...Have great fan base with a great environment to play in front of in a big time conference...and we have done well with Transfers past 6-7 years mostly..

Only thing I can think of is there isn't confidence in the head man idk..or we just aren't offering $$$ what other schools are offering..which is entirely possible.

Transfer season isn't over but we have 4 open spots..not 1 or 2....but 4.

Instant starter minutes.

There's a disconnect somewhere and its frustrating.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Something just doesn't seem to be adding up...I don't know if it is Prohm inability to recruit well in a short period of time or what...But we have a HC and a program really who has put a pretty decent amount of kids into the NBA lately..Moreso than most..Have a Soph PG who is going to be a Lottery pick...Have great fan base with a great environment to play in front of in a big time conference...and we have done well with Transfers past 6-7 years mostly..

Only thing I can think of is there isn't confidence in the head man idk..or we just aren't offering $$$ what other schools are offering..which is entirely possible.

Instant starter minutes.

I mean if you look at where some of these guys are going, they're choosing some good schools as well as schools that are relatively close to them.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Instant starter minutes.

I'd assume a lot of these guys know they aren't or probably aren't going to the NBA so they're picking teams who they think they can at least make the tournament on. We've been horrendous 2 of the last 3 years and had a first round exit in the other. There's a lot of better resumes out there right now and everyone is in on transfers now too

I also dont think it helps Prohm is heading into year 6 right now either. Some bad teams can sell that they're building a program, like someone like Hoiberg can in year two. It's not hard to recruit against the guy in year 6 who lost 20 games last year

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Totally disagree. Foster isn't playing the 4 and if he is that would be a disaster both offensively and defensively.

I think the coaching staff failed last season. They tried to do the exact same things offensively & defensively as the first 3 years - but it didn't fit the personnel.

If Foster is one of our top 8 players, along with Conditt & Young- then the coaching staff needs to find ways to make it work. Does that mean more high/low offense with 2 posts? Does it mean more zone defense? Having Foster or Conditt on the baseline of a zone would make it tough for wing 3 point shooters.

Similarly, people keep chirping about Gomez being a defensive liability. He might not be great, but coaches can cover for that through schemes. Again, maybe play some zone. When in man, maybe it means we need to fight through screens vs. switching every screen

People who are far more knowledgeable about basketball than I, when evaluating Foster's game at the HS level viewed him as a guy who didn't like to play in the paint and preferred to hang out around the 3 point line. Can't completely blame Foster, because he has a very nice stroke for a 7' ish player. Based on that feedback, if Foster is going to play major minutes in 20/21 it will be at the PF position.

IMO the Young, Conditt and Foster trio (if he is ready) can play together in any combination of the 3. Johnson gets minutes at 4 if Foster isn't ready. I think we also need to remember that all these kids have dreams of playing in the NBA. So they are going to prefer playing a position that highlights their skills for the pro-level. So while Johnson might play some 4, he is going to want to play wing. Obviously, the coaches are going to play a kid at the position that helps the team win the most. IMO, a big reason Wigginton jumped early was he wasn't going to play PG at ISU. The best way for his development to progress was the G-League.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think the coaching staff failed last season. They tried to do the exact same things offensively & defensively as the first 3 years - but it didn't fit the personnel.

If Foster is one of our top 8 players, along with Conditt & Young- then the coaching staff needs to find ways to make it work. Does that mean more high/low offense with 2 posts? Does it mean more zone defense? Having Foster or Conditt on the baseline of a zone would make it tough for wing 3 point shooters.

Similarly, people keep chirping about Gomez being a defensive liability. He might not be great, but coaches can cover for that through schemes. Again, maybe play some zone. When in man, maybe it means we need to fight through screens vs. switching every screen

People who are far more knowledgeable about basketball than I, when evaluating Foster's game at the HS level viewed him as a guy who didn't like to play in the paint and preferred to hang out around the 3 point line. Can't completely blame Foster, because he has a very nice stroke for a 7' ish player. Based on that feedback, if Foster is going to play major minutes in 20/21 it will be at the PF position.

IMO the Young, Conditt and Foster trio (if he is ready) can play together in any combination of the 3. Johnson gets minutes at 4 if Foster isn't ready. I think we also need to remember that all these kids have dreams of playing in the NBA. So they are going to prefer playing a position that highlights their skills for the pro-level. So while Johnson might play some 4, he is going to want to play wing. Obviously, the coaches are going to play a kid at the position that helps the team win the most. IMO, a big reason Wigginton jumped early was he wasn't going to play PG at ISU. The best way for his development to progress was the G-League.
He hung out at the 3 point line because the guards were not capable of good post entries to get him the ball there.