***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
There’s a reason why so many good programs are after him. He started 55 ACC games for a program that was in the top 25 for most of that time. We would only be so lucky to have him be our starting PG next year. Shayok averaged something like 8ppg at Virginia when he transferred here.

Have you watched Perry play? In the last 10 games he averaged less than 13 minutes per game and was 9-35 from the field. Let’s just agree that we should probably be taking hard passes on anyone that shoots less than 40% overall from the field as is a guard with a 1:1 ASST/TO ratio.
This is why you have culture issues. A grad transfer with bad shot selection, bad off eff numbers is not the answer for the immediate future.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Home run for sure. Perry is really talented and could shine in a new environment:QUOTE]

We usually agree but I could not disagree with you more on this one. Ultimately we have to get talent but we have already been burnt by a low efficiency grad transfer guard. If you shoot less than 40% overall from the field you cannot classify that guy as a home run.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
This guy right here is 100% what we're in need of / looking for. A guy who can score at every level, crashes the boards hard, and is long and athletic on the defensive end.

There will most likely be a dip in production coming from JUCO to D1 (especially the Big 12), but if there's only a slight dip or even no dip at all, he could be very very good.

He’s the most logical homerun. As you said really good size and length. Ability to score at all three levels. He becomes your 3 with Bolton at the 2. Still need a PG and Johnson can play the #4 with Conditt/Young in the post.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A grad transfer with bad shot selection, bad off eff numbers is not the answer for the immediate future.

I will not have you sully the good names of Jeff Beverly and Prentiss Nixon with your well-sourced facts and reasoned logic like that. How dare you.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I will not have you sully the good names of Jeff Beverly and Prentiss Nixon with your well-sourced facts and reasoned logic like that. How dare you.
I know silly me. Perry could work but I think you have to look at the last three years and understand you are getting a small to averaged size combo guard who is a career 39% FG shooter with a slightly above 1:1 ASST/TO ratio. If he is the best option at PG so be it, but you have to understand the limitations.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know silly me. Perry could work but I think you have to look at the last three years and understand you are getting a small to averaged size combo guard who is a career 39% FG shooter with a slightly above 1:1 ASST/TO ratio. If he is the best option at PG so be it, but you have to understand the limitations.

Prohm has his problems as a coach. Throat-clearing done.

But one thing he is pretty proven at is generating above-average (or higher) PG play.

If there is a position where he can manufacture productivity, that is it.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

But one thing he is pretty proven at is generate above-average (or higher) PG play.

I certainly agree with that but I have my concerns about trying to turn a bench combo guard albeit from a very good program into our starting pg on a team that needs to get us back to the tournament.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
At some point what better point guard will come along and will we have a chance at higher quality guard. I would not mind taking this kid if we have a chance

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

But one thing he is pretty proven at is generating above-average (or higher) PG play.

I would generally agree, except it should be noted that Prohm's last pick to be a combo guard/point guard, Nixon, didn't work out.

Nixon was signed in April of '18, so Prohm likely saw him as the guy that would take over for Wigginton. Well, Wigginton didn't really work out as a point guard, and Nixon sure as hell didn't. It's a good thing Halliburton did. Prohm absolutely gets credit for Halliburton, but it's highly unlikely it was his plan back in the spring of 2018.

Basketball is far from a game of certainties, but the reality is Prohm missed on trying Donovan Jackson as a pg, Wigginton as a pg, and Nixon as a pg.

• Dislike
Reactions: isu83

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would generally agree, except it should be noted that Prohm's last pick to be a combo guard/point guard, Nixon, didn't work out.

Nixon was signed in April of '18, so Prohm likely saw him as the guy that would take over for Wigginton. Well, Wigginton didn't really work out as a point guard, and Nixon sure as hell didn't. It's a good thing Halliburton did. Prohm absolutely gets credit for Halliburton, but it's highly unlikely it was his plan back in the spring of 2018.

Basketball is far from a game of certainties, but the reality is Prohm missed on trying Donovan Jackson as a pg, Wigginton as a pg, and Nixon as a pg.

He was pretty quick to make NWB and TH the PGs, though.

Way quicker to fix that than he was to, say, bench Beverly and to inexplicably keep playing Nixon and Jacobson extended minutes last year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Having said all that, I'm absolutely in favor of him continuing to try to land the right guy. Some things just don't work out, especially when it comes to transfers. I think if Prohm finds the right guy, he'll be able to develop him into a all Big 12 quality player.

I'm not completely sold on any particular option that's available currently. Berry might not provide enough scoring, and strictly looking at his numbers, Aiken may need the ball too much, to the point it hurts the whole offense.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Way quicker to fix that than he was to, say, bench Beverly and to inexplicably keep playing Nixon and Jacobson extended minutes last year.
Agree. There had to be a thought in the back of his mind that DJ wasn't going to work out as PG, because Babb was ready to run the show basically immediately. And from a fan's perspective it was obvious that Babb was much better running the offense.

Sometimes I even hesitate to use the word point guard, because really all you need is a guy that can set up the offense, and ideally get the ball where it needs to be to make the offense most effective. Our time with Fred should have taught us all that.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
I see Marcedus Leech is transferring from Iowa western. I didn’t really see him in any box scores or on their page. Any info why?

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017

Also, funny coincidence (not a coincidence?) Prentiss' decision making and shooting seemed to vastly improve once he was moved to PG after TH went down. Coincidence? Or should we have tried getting Conditt minutes bringing the ball up to see if his development sped up proportionately?

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12 and isu83

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
He doesn't play the entire bench anyway; especially once conf. season starts. He seems to put loyalty to his transfer above everything else. So it's a bad idea to have ONE in the bank?

I guess he can leave a scholarship open for the next coach to fill.