The Insider Information Weekly Mailbag - Questions Submission

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This doesn't help. I have some very important teddy bear questions that I need answered in a timely manner and I'll be on Spring Break next week. I can't wait for two weeks for these answers.

Im on spring break next week also. Who the heck takes spring break this week? That’s not natural.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Are you flying out of MSP or driving? You're only about an hour away. Maybe you're flying out of FDX (Fort Dodge International).

You sound like my wife now. Remember when you asked about bringing your daughter to MSP on Friday and I said my son can get up to my area Friday afternoon and then we can kick her out at the airport when we fly out that night?

Reactions: Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You sound like my wife now. Remember when you asked about bringing your daughter to MSP on Friday and I said my son can get up to my area Friday afternoon and then we can kick her out at the airport when we fly out that night?
That's right. Just leave her at the airport. We'll pick her up at the airport on Sunday morning. Just lend her a few bucks for a couple of meals.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Where was Sig for the last two weeks?

Peru and Ecuador

Since I watched the movie this weekend, what would have happened if we lost the battle of Midway? Would we only have 49 states or would we have invaded Mexico again to take one of their states?

Short as I can make this —

I read an excellent article about exactly this issue once. Summarizing its main conclusions, it probably does not matter very much in the end.

Japan could *take* Midway in a surprise attack but could not hold it long-term. Japanese logistics and industry were stretched far beyond their means in 1942, and trying to supply Midway as American submarines and air raids from Hawaii came for it ends badly for them. They intended Midway as *bait* and not a stepping stone to Hawaii proper.

There was no way for Japan to invade Hawaii (or specifically Oahu). American anti-air, land-based anti-fleet, and Army/Marine assets based there would crush anything the Japanese could have hoped to put together for a landing force, and trying to institute a blockade halfway across the Pacific from their logistical bases would have never worked.

The main point of the Midway operation for Japan was to lure American fleet carriers into battle and destroy them, but that was fool’s gold. Even if the Japanese destroy the handful of American fleet carriers, that victory is ultimately tactical and not strategic. They would be replaced quickly enough once American industry spooled up. It might have extended the war, either with Japan making more gains in the Pacific that needed to be rolled back later during the war *or* because the U.S. had to send more resources to the Pacific in 1942 and 1943, which would have slowed down things in Europe, but nothing Allied production advantages cannot overcome.

Roughly 90% of U.S. war production was going to Europe in 1942 and early 1943 even as the Japanese were still making forward progress in the South Pacific. We just did not care that much. We knew the Japanese economy could not compete with ours when we eventually focused on them. Defeating Germany (mostly through aiding the Soviets on the Eastern Front) was the priority from the start.

Eventually, American industrial might swamps the Japanese, and the war proceeds much as it did otherwise though maybe takes a year or so longer to undo Japanese gains. It probably still involves island hopping (either through the East Indies and Central Pacific, like in reality, or perhaps down from Alaska, which was considered a viable alternative by Nimitz if it ended up the “shortest route”) to the point where you can isolate the Japanese homeland from their resource areas to the south, at which point you have the same conundrum about using the bomb.

The Battle of Midway was an incredible tactical and strategic victory for the U.S., without a doubt, but it mostly shortened the war rather than saved the U.S. from defeat. The Japanese strike force of the six fleet carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor was dead one way or another at some point, however. They could not possibly “trade” in an efficient enough manner to overcome American industrial might. Once they are gone, one way or another, the war follows the familiar pattern of how it actually went.

Japan’s whole strategy from the start was to bloody the American nose, somehow cause us to think it was “not worth it,” and acknowledge their hegemony in East Asia. Their strategy (and only some of theirs, Yamamoto was saying the whole time this was foolish) was entirely wishful thinking. As we know about the “Sleeping Giant” and our anger over Pearl Harbor, we were not having any of that. I doubt losing a few old flattops at Midway destroys American resolve. If anything, I imagine, it just hardens it further. We would have worn them down eventually somehow.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Peru and Ecuador

I read an excellent article about exactly this issue once. Summarizing its main conclusions, it probably does not matter very much in the end.

Japan could *take* Midway in a surprise attack but could not hold it long-term. Japanese logistics and industry were stretched far beyond their means in 1942, and trying to supply Midway as American submarines and air raids from Hawaii came for it ends badly for them. They intended Midway as *bait* and not a stepping stone to Hawaii proper.

There was no way for Japan to invade Hawaii (or specifically Oahu). American anti-air, land-based anti-fleet, and Army/Marine assets based there would crush anything the Japanese could have hoped to put together for a landing force, and trying to institute a blockade halfway across the Pacific from their logistical bases would have never worked.

The main point of the Midway operation for Japan was to lure American fleet carriers into battle and destroy them, but that was fool’s gold. Even if the Japanese destroy the handful of American fleet carriers, that victory is ultimately tactical and not strategic. They would be replaced quickly enough once American industry spooled up. It might have extended the war, either with Japan making more gains in the Pacific that needed to be rolled back later during the war *or* because the U.S. had to send more resources to the Pacific in 1942 and 1943, which would have slowed down things in Europe, but nothing Allied production advantages cannot overcome.

Roughly 90% of U.S. war production was going to Europe in 1942 and early 1943 even as the Japanese were still making forward progress in the South Pacific. We just did not care that much. We knew the Japanese economy could not compete with ours when we eventually focused on them. Defeating Germany (mostly through aiding the Soviets on the Eastern Front) was the priority from the start.

Eventually, American industrial might swamps the Japanese, and the war proceeds much as it did otherwise though maybe takes a year or so longer to undo Japanese gains. It probably still involves island hopping (either through the East Indies and Central Pacific, like in reality, or perhaps down from Alaska, which was considered a viable alternative by Nimitz if it ended up the “shortest route”) to the point where you can isolate the Japanese homeland from their resource areas to the south, at which point you have the same conundrum about using the bomb.

The Battle of Midway was an incredible tactical and strategic victory for the U.S., without a doubt, but it mostly shortened the war rather than saved the U.S. from defeat. The Japanese strike force of the six fleet carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor was dead one way or another at some point, however. They could not possibly “trade” in an efficient enough manner to overcome American industrial might. Once they are gone, one way or another, the war follows the familiar pattern of how it actually went.

Japan’s whole strategy from the start was to bloody the American nose, somehow cause us to think it was “not worth it,” and acknowledge their hegemony in East Asia. Their strategy (and only some of theirs, Yamamoto was saying the whole time this was foolish) was entirely wishful thinking. As we know about the “Sleeping Giant” and our anger over Pearl Harbor, we were not having any of that. I doubt losing a few old flattops at Midway destroys American resolve. If anything, I imagine, it just hardens it further?. We would have worn them down eventually somehow.

There’s a question in there @GTO and @cyrocksmypants You need to answer it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Peru and Ecuador

Japan’s whole strategy from the start was to bloody the American nose, somehow cause us to think it was “not worth it,” and acknowledge their hegemony in East Asia. Their strategy (and only some of theirs, Yamamoto was saying the whole time this was foolish) was entirely wishful thinking. As we know about the “Sleeping Giant” and our anger over Pearl Harbor, we were not having any of that. I doubt losing a few old flattops at Midway destroys American resolve. If anything, I imagine, it just hardens it further. We would have worn them down eventually somehow.
Lol, miss you Sig.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Peru and Ecuador

Good answer. However, where are the charts and graphs? Also, there's barely any statistics in here. I can understand almost this whole post.