***WBB: 2020 Recruiting Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Johnston hits a 3 to take a 33-31 lead over City High at halftime. Aubrey has 11 points so far.​

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa has got to get a shot clock for high school basketball. Watching a team pass and dribble for 2 min. makes for a boring low scoring game.

Only 8 state have shot clocks in HS basketball. Minnesota voted down a 35 second clock last year.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Comment towards the end of the game that they had a pre-season workout (10 teams from the different classes) in Cedar Rapids using the 35 second clock and other rules like college. The coaches all were in favor of that type of rules being used in the future.

Reactions: BenEClone

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
11:08 a.m.
The reactions to the end of this one, win or lose, will be strong on both sides of this game.

City has responded with a brief 5-0 run to make the game 58-55 in favor of Johnston with 4 minutes to go. Aubrey Joens is sacrificing her body on almost every possession. She's up to 20 points.

Who does this remind you of!

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...s-des-moines-semifinals-class-5-a/4962455002/

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Donarski and her Aquinas team have had their postseason games streamed on YouTube (so far, at least). I found it a few minutes ago well after the game was completely in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KQEGTV

Aquinas just won 86-40. Donarski had 27 points. I'll update the earlier post tomorrow when articles are available for this game and the Iowa City game.

For anyone watching Aquinas from the link above, Lexi is #21 and her sister Macy is #2.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
About six years ago Lamoni had the number two ranked team in the state. They lost in the first round because the other team used Lute Olson's four corner stall from start to finish. It wasn’t basketball. The better basketball team went home that day. I’ve heard a reason for not implementing a clock is cost.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
About six years ago Lamoni had the number two ranked team in the state. They lost in the first round because the other team used Lute Olson's four corner stall from start to finish. It wasn’t basketball. The better basketball team went home that day. I’ve heard a reason for not implementing a clock is cost.

I think this is complete and total BS. It cannot cost that much, and I imagine the IHSAA makes plenty of money to help offset the cost.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I think this is complete and total BS. It cannot cost that much, and I imagine the IHSAA makes plenty of money to help offset the cost.

Not sure how high school sports make the association much money. It ain't March Madness and the association doesn't pay for stuff like clocks and clock managers, the schools do.

Wisconsin voted the clock in and than rescinded the vote because of backlash from school administrators on the cost to the schools.

Wisconsin almost became the ninth state when its Interscholastic Athletic Association voted last June to implement a 35-second shot clock for boys and girls basketball for the 2019-20 season. However, WIAA rescinded that vote in December after fierce opposition from administrators concerned about the cost.

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190131/area-high-school-basketball-coaches-shot-clock-worth-shot

When people say it is not about the money it's about the money so when people say it IS about the money it really really is about the money. As cheap as tax payers are at the state and local level it's a miracle HS aren't charging tuition.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is obviously way outside the box, but what if you do like wrestling and just create a "stalling" rule. Outside of the last 2 minutes of the game if the refs determine you aren't making a concerted effort to try to score you get a warning and the second time you lose the ball? I loathe the idea of leaving things to the discretion of refs, but the stalling is getting ridiculous, and if they really can't afford shot clocks they need to do something.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This is obviously way outside the box, but what if you do like wrestling and just create a "stalling" rule. Outside of the last 2 minutes of the game if the refs determine you aren't making a concerted effort to try to score you get a warning and the second time you lose the ball? I loathe the idea of leaving things to the discretion of refs, but the stalling is getting ridiculous, and if they really can't afford shot clocks they need to do something.

That's a interesting idea, kind of like the flop rule they installed in college this yr?