***WBB: 2020 Recruiting Thread***

Discussion in 'Women's Basketball' started by mred, Jul 9, 2019.

1. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +22,844 / 445 / -1
    We won't see much of this combo next year, at least in this context. ;)

Just saw this and it caught my eye because of the signings this week.

2. StClone

StClone Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +1,260 / 29 / -1
    Really, do we have to resort to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Ratings:
    +8,171 / 198 / -3
    I'd like to find a big to bring in on the transfer portal.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Male
    Professor of Education
    Lamoni, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,729 / 73 / -0
    The more I’ve thought about it and analyzed things the better I feel about not getting Clark. We definitely have more than enough talent coming in to have an exceptional back court. Even better is that we will have incredible talent coming off the bench which means next to no drop off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
    Male
    Professor of Education
    Lamoni, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,729 / 73 / -0
    well...from a movie quote adaptation it was kind of funny. I’ve disliked Bluder from when I taught at Drake. It was well known she was a dirty recruiter (she was known to use the Fennelly hates lesbians card with recruits among other things).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. StClone

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +1,260 / 29 / -1
    #146 StClone, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    I personally am not a Bluder fan goes almost without saying. That recruiting style has been pretty much documented. She is a decent coach. Calling her a "guy" is beneath us and unappealing to some readers. (read below if you want my experience).

-----
    In 2009 my high school age daughter, Trish, was toying with attending vet school among other possible careers in Politics, music (concert Viola) or medicine. She was the "Ellie Mae Clampett-type" with critters, yet scored a 31 on her ACT. She played softball well, was very athletic, and rather strong--but not a D-1 talent. My wife and I as ISU grads both were hoping to have her as a Cyclone and gave glowing reviews.

Acquainting herself with several prospective schools, while trying to figure things out, she started reading CF for fun and even posted under my name once. She followed Alison Lacey's career at ISU and watched WBB. Eventually, she settled on Politics and went to George Washington U. in DC. Trish then went on to working for WI Senator Russ Feingold. After he left office, she returned to school going into medicine. She admitted one day about things she read here that weren't to her liking, but it wasn't a factor in her school decision. What exactly she read I can't say, but I suspect it was in the vein of calling Bluder a guy or worse.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Male
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +1,269 / 13 / -0
    I think I'm going to steal this for future use. Never heard that before. Love it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1,469 / 50 / -0
    I believe Jan Jensen is the main recruiter for Iowa. They do the whole "family" thing, "role model" thing, the players call Bluder "mom" - puke, and Jensen and her wife being very public about their relationship and moving in political circles has not hurt in recruiting girls looking for a lesbian role model.

9. casey1973

casey1973 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +984 / 136 / -10
    #149 casey1973, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Exactly. That is going to keep us from being a good team already from being a low seed in the tourney. Need a strong player underneath the basket. CBF hads not been able to recruit that type of player for several years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mwwbbfan

mwwbbfan Active Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Iowa City, IA
    Ratings:
    +273 / 6 / -0
    I think the staff has been pleasantly surprised with Lindsey Jarosinski so far. I am sure that they are still in the market for a big but think that she is an upgrade over all but Scott at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. StClone

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +1,260 / 29 / -1
    That's kinda weird. But if it works for them. As for openess in their relationship Iowa State is very gay friendly, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
    Male
    Professor of Education
    Lamoni, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,729 / 73 / -0

I would hope anyone reading a bulletin board would take anything said with a grain of salt. If reading something here influenced a recruiting decision or thoughts about attending ISU then their introduction to the real world would be a rough one.

sounds like your daughter is def someone to be proud of. Very accomplished!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StClone

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +1,260 / 29 / -1
    Good kid all-around, and thanks for the kind comment. CF is a great, fun place to exchange ideas and information, but be reasonable. I know we did pass muster with Maddie Wise as a quest here, so we can't be too bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Royalclone

Royalclone Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Ratings:
    +250 / 5 / -0
    Hope Cherry Cola didn't hire Jackie as a last ditch effort to land Emily. Would love Jackie on our staff, so even if that was in Cole's mind, Jackie was at least a low risk-high reward investment.

15. mred

mred Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    SE WI
    Ratings:
    +1,380 / 16 / -0
    Kapinus verballed Penn State yesterday. She listed her finalists months ago (which did not include ISU) so this is mainly just an FYI for those who were wondering where she ended up.

16. iccyfan

iccyfan Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -0
    Ok, I had some inside information that I couldn't share while CC was still potentially considering ISU. Like you said, either the girls really mesh or they don't. I had it from the most reliable of sources that mutual admiration had not developed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AttackOfTheClones

AttackOfTheClones Active Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Male
    Developer; Broker; Designer
    Bushwood, Nebraska
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 228 / -79
    One of Clark’s quotes..she likeS the crowd support at Carver
    Yes excited playing in front of 3500 fans at the mausoleum vs 10,000 @ Hilton seems a reach

with Iowa’s AA graduated Bluder will have to find new ways to beg fans to attend games

18. iccyfan

iccyfan Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +125 / 3 / -0
    ADVANCE NOTICE

Saturday, February 1 - WDM Dowling at Iowa City High - 1pm

City High features three Division 1 commits (ISU, Marquette and Missouri State) plus a 2023 ISU recruit (Kelsey Joens), versus hawk commit (and former Cyclone target) CC.

Postscript: I live six blocks from City High and my three children are alum, so I still attend the occasional game; I printed off the girl's basketball schedule this morning and noticed they play Dowling - thought some of you women's fans might be interested!

• Like Like x 2
  19. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +22,844 / 445 / -1
    Paper numbers are like paper tigers. In real life we have maybe 5K for games which is still really good by WBB standards but half our "sold" ticket people don't show up. We had 5800 for a Hilton game last March where we were playing to get to the Sweet Sixteen. Their attendance last year did make the Top 10. Not a Hawk fan obviously, but did watch them some the last couple seasons because of their star player (not going to not watch a once in 20-year player because she's a Hawk) and noted the attendance was way better than most Big 10 venues. Watch the Gophers play on the road in some pretty empty arenas. Shockingly empty for some. I'd rank Carver towards the top of the Big 10, quite a bit behind Williams Arena for crowd noise and such though. Williams currently even tops Hilton. The last game I attended there was vs Iowa and it was crazy loud, it had been down from past Williams standards but seems to be back.

Will add I plan to roll down I-35 for our game vs them this season. Really want to win that one.

20. Royalclone

Royalclone Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Ratings:
    +250 / 5 / -0
    My sister and husband in CR got interested in season tickets when Gustafson started to shine. They got far better seats than you could expect in Hilton as first-time season ticketholders and non-donors. We'll see if they keep them after this season. They might in anticipation of CC. My sis played 6-on-6 in high school and still watches the state tournament, so she is probably aware of Clark.