Are we being to harsh

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You don't need to know a single thing about playing the piano and you would be able to tell I am quite awful at it.

we’re bad. Really bad. You don’t need to make **** up about his first two teams here to find things to criticize

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You pulled it out of thin air quoting my post, which had nothing to do with it.

The head coach gets most of the praise. He chooses every aspect of the roster

Exhibit A.................

He didn't choose the roster his first two years. It was given to him.

If that isn't your line of thought....great. But like I said............

Seen too many "Fred's recruits"...."underachieved" BS describing his 23 and 24 win seasons too last me a lifetime.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You don't need to know a single thing about playing the piano and you would be able to tell I am quite awful at it.
That's a little simplistic of an analogy lol. People want to try and boil it down to as easy as being black and white, winning and losing, but that's not the case. We were winning last year and people were pissed because we weren't winning "enough".

And using the piano analogy as far as this season goes. Prohm's dealing with playing a piano where some of the keys are in different spots, one's broken, a few of them sound a bit off, some keys are missing, but Prohm's being yelled at by fans to sound like Mozart.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He didn't choose the roster his first two years. It was given to him. Since he lost those players, it's been downhill. That's a fact.
Actually it's quite opposite of a fact, considering last year we won 23 games, won a Big 12 tournament championship, beat a ton of ranked teams, were a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and were ranked to end the year.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Actually it's quite opposite of a fact, considering last year we won 23 games, won a Big 12 tournament championship, beat a ton of ranked teams, were a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, and were ranked to end the year.
So you think the program is in a better place now that it was at the end of the 2017 season? You might be the only one.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
So you think the program is in a better place now that it was at the end of the 2017 season? You might be the only one.

so you made a stupid argument, that was false. Got called on it.

and, instead of just saying you were wrong, you revert back to groupthink nonsense.

Facts really don’t matter to you. Good job

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: awd4cy and Macloney

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014

and, instead of just saying you were wrong, you revert back to groupthink nonsense.

The program is worse that it was when he started. That is by definition, downhill. Are you able to have a rationale, unemotional thought?

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014

Here's a graph for you. That's our NCAA tournament seeds in Prohm's career. That's uphill to you? haha.

upload_2020-3-4_15-24-54.png

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The program is worse that it was when he started. That is by definition, downhill. Are you able to have a rationale, unemotional thought?

Are you? Are you incapable of understanding context and reasons?

Your post was dumb. You got called on it, and you’re still incapable of admitting that you made a dumb and demonstrably false post.

• Dislike
Reactions: awd4cy

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Are you? Are you incapable of understanding context and reasons?

Your post was dumb. You got called on it, and you’re still incapable of admitting that you made a dumb and demonstrably false post.
Go ahead and show me how its false, genius.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
That's a little simplistic of an analogy lol. People want to try and boil it down to as easy as being black and white, winning and losing, but that's not the case. We were winning last year and people were pissed because we weren't winning "enough".

And using the piano analogy as far as this season goes. Prohm's dealing with playing a piano where some of the keys are in different spots, one's broken, a few of them sound a bit off, some keys are missing, but Prohm's being yelled at by fans to sound like Mozart.
He also built the piano though, and is paid millions to do so. The university also pays to ship the piano around the country to competitions where other well compensated piano builders then pants Prohm on national television. Sure some bad luck is involved, but we even paid a small university to come compete against us at home, and their piano beat ours even though our piano builder get paid 15+ times as much money.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Go ahead and show me how its false, genius.

Not really difficult. You ignored a year that Iowa State won 23 games, and a big 12 tournament championship, to make a crewe talking point.

you also, of course, demonstrated no critical thinking in order to understand contextual events that have impacted the results on the court.

again, and I say this often, there’s enough legitimate criticisms for Steve Prohm and the job he’s done here, you don’t have to be a simpleton, or make **** up.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: awd4cy and JCloned

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
[QUOTE="Cat Stevens, post: 7056022, member: 37341"
again, and I say this often, there’s enough legitimate criticisms for Steve Prohm and the job he’s done here, you don’t have to be a simpleton, or make **** up.[/QUOTE]
Prove it and make some. All u do is defend him and his embarrassing season.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

The problem with the second part is that he should not just be playing the piano in your analogy. He was also in charge of the keys being put in different spots and keys being missing. I'm sure he knew THT was a one and done if possible, and that Wigginton was unhappy. These things didn't happen overnight. He didn't replace them adequately and this is the result. These things didn't just happen to him, I would argue they happened in large part because of him.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
[QUOTE="Cat Stevens, post: 7056022, member: 37341"
again, and I say this often, there’s enough legitimate criticisms for Steve Prohm and the job he’s done here, you don’t have to be a simpleton, or make **** up.
Prove it and make some. All u do is defend him and his embarrassing season.[/QUOTE]

You should probably strive to read critically then.

Conversely, why are you incapable of crediting him for the good things that have happened on and off the court while he’s been the coach?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We've taken a step back but every single year is fluid. One year's success doesn't mean the next year or the year after is going to be successful, especially in today's world of college basketball. Success doesn't happen overnight for a large majority of coaches / programs and we were incredibly lucky and spoiled to be able to have Hoiberg come to Iowa State and basically build a foundation from the ground up in about a year and a half.

And that's the other problem I have.. Coach Hoiberg was probably the best coach in Iowa State history and people are upset Prohm hasn't been better. That's pretty unfair if you ask me..

We're not a bad program. We're having a bad year. Bad programs generally don't have 13,000 fans in an arena when you're a 12-16 teams. Bad programs and bad coaches don't usually pull in top-25 recruiting classes, or put players into the NBA. Even good programs and good coaches have a rough year or two. They fix that by bringing in good recruits / transfers to help with that. It literally happened just last year.

Prohm's not perfect, he's far from it, but from the first day he's been the coach here he's been asked to be, and that's not fair.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The problem with the second part is that he should not just be playing the piano in your analogy. He was also in charge of the keys being put in different spots and keys being missing. I'm sure he knew THT was a one and done if possible, and that Wigginton was unhappy. These things didn't happen overnight. He didn't replace them adequately and this is the result. These things didn't just happen to him, I would argue they happened in large part because of him.
Wigginton didn't leave Iowa State because he was unhappy, he left it because he believed he was good enough to play in the NBA at the time. And absolutely this season is on Steve because it's his roster, but people are acting like he can't be a good coach when last year he proved he can turn it around in a year's time.

He took a team that was last in the Big 12, brought players and freshman in, and turned that team into a top-25 team that some analysts thought could possibly make a run at a final 4. Obviously that didn't happen, but my point still stands. Prohm can turn things around from this year. The biggest issue is if he can sustain it, and only time will tell on that.

• Winner
Reactions: kingcy and JCloned

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Prove it and make some. All u do is defend him and his embarrassing season.

You should probably strive to read critically then.

Conversely, why are you incapable of crediting him for the good things that have happened on and off the court while he’s been the coach?[/QUOTE]
Back at you bud. I have given him credit. This year there isn't much to give credit for. I credit him for the worst season in nearly 20 years. He also did a pretty good job his first couple years, and while I think we underachieved with the talent we had last year, it was by most measures a very successful year of basketball. But we are a dumpster fire right now, and that's on him too. That's how heading coaching works. He gets the credit, and the blame.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Hoggins and JCloned

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He also built the piano though, and is paid millions to do so. The university also pays to ship the piano around the country to competitions where other well compensated piano builders then pants Prohm on national television. Sure some bad luck is involved, but we even paid a small university to come compete against us at home, and their piano beat ours even though our piano builder get paid 15+ times as much money.
John Calipari lost to Evansville this year at home, who is 9-22 and didn't win a single game in the Missouri Valley Conference lol. Kentucky is a ton better than us too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron