Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Here is a chart of each blood type. Depending on your blood type they have preferred donations. Some they prefer Double Red, some platelets, some whole blood even though they'll take what they can get.
I'm O- so they prefer double red but if I go to a blood mobile to donate they only do whole blood so that's what they get.
View attachment 70424

I'm O- as well. I get thanked a LOT every time I donate, which is pretty much every 8 weeks. I cannot do double reds.

Last summer my hematocrit was too low to donate, although not too low for me according to my doctor. That happened twice which was really embarrassing because my number's usually mid to upper 13s to mid 14. Started taking an iron supplement, went in last fall and showed 14.7 I think. Also was told that day that their meter had been not working right. Well, now you tell me. Anyway, back on mostly regular schedule now and not taking iron. Go to the donor center in Ames and count on a Rice Krispie treat and bag of smart-pop popcorn every time. I'm a cheap date.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I've never donated blood. Am I a bad person?
Nope, not at all. It's not for everyone, especially because you really don't get anything for it and rarely know how you actually helped anyone. I'm just amazed that I can provide something that's valuable for someone else.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Nope, I probably would have chickened out except when I was deciding whether or not to go into the great hall of the Union, two friends came by and said lets go. So that's how it started for me. Plus afterwards a trip to the M-Shop to rehydrate ;) was always in order.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I've donated 3 times. Each time I got really light headed and felt like crap for half a day. I don't mind needles, so it wasn't that. After the last time where I almost passing out driving home, I decided that my blood must like being in my body.

I'll probably try it again sometime, but I'll have someone drive me home.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
[In a Scottish accent]

Dishes Sean Connery

Help me
tenor.gif

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Applied for a position at ISU through Workday.
System won't let you advance without all your documents (cover letter, resume, etc.)
Posting closed last night. They sent me an e-mail asking for my resume, because it didn't make it through Workday.

I'm assuming that's good, right? Otherwise they'd just throw it out?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have never seen a SAW movie either. Or a Fast and Furious movie. I've also never read a Stephen King book or a Harry Potter book.

I remember watching maybe the first F and F movie, but it had the girl who played Ana Lucia from 'Lost'....she always overacted and was a character I was happy to see killed off.

Don't remember much else from the FF movie...I'll assume they won and someone said something awesome at the end.

Reactions: jcyclonee
Status
Not open for further replies.