***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think taking a chance on Leech was understandable giving the situation.

It's good they moved on quickly but using a fall commitment spot on Luke Anderson is a big miss. Like Hines said, if we had a solid backcourt player sitting out coupled with Javan Johnson and a good recruiting class we'd all feel a lot better about next year. Now without that, a lot hinges on finding that backcourt piece in the immediately eligible market - which is a lot more competitive.

To me, it helps tremendously that we'll be looking for one big piece, rather than several (in all likelihood).

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That is why Prohm recruited length and versatility with the current class. Johnson comes off of redshirt and he is 6'6. Blackwell is 6'6, Dubar is 6'6, Walker is 6'5. That is the kind of length they need to be better at getting deflections, blocks etc and can allow them to switch a lot on defense.

This class will be a big help, this year's team lacks length but it also lacks athleticism. Being small is fine, if you are quick and athletic or can shoot, none of those areas is really a strength for us. I think the incoming class will upgrade the talent in the program but the bigger impact will be with their size and athleticism. That goes for Johnson as well but I think his impact will be more evident in the box score than the younger guys, even though I expect them to be productive as well.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i don't want to spend the next 9 months arguing every point, but I just don't get the faith/optimism around improved defense just because players are long/athletic.

THT, LW, Lewis, Griffin, Burton, etc are all stud athletes and their defense stunk under prohm. few players mastered the "slow close out with hands at your side" better than nick babb. Solo is a 4th year junior and he still gets dunked on from pick and rolls.

i mean devon dotson felt disrespected because he thought we were intentionally leaving him open....and we were trying!!

good defense requires discipline, practice, teamwork, fundamentals, repetition, etc.

we have so far to go on defense...i hope we figure it out next year...i'm just very, very skeptical, that is all.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wait-- do I see some actual "we didn't want him anyway" responses? We need an immediate impact transfer. I imagine this kid will be immediately eligible. He was the leading scorer on a team headed for the NCAA tournament team. Our staff had a previous relationship with him from recruiting him hard out of high school. This is literally the exact type of player we need for next year.

• Creative
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Wait-- do I see some actual "we didn't want him anyway" responses? We need an immediate impact transfer. I imagine this kid will be immediately eligible. He was the leading scorer on a team headed for the NCAA tournament team. Our staff had a previous relationship with him from recruiting him hard out of high school. This is literally the exact type of player we need for next year.
I was not one of them but there were plenty that didn't want him to begin with.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Are you talking about responses from today? Because there are none on here.