How does Javon Johnson look?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I get the "kids these days don't learn defensive fundamentals on the AAU circuit, back in my day our coaches were drilling that stuff into us for a decade even before college scouts started taking a look at us" thing that you are saying.

I wonder why everybody else isn't bad at defense then, too. We are easily the worst defensive team in the Big 12 but might be #3 on the offensive end.

I never thought you would ask.

1. Our guys don’t get low.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
So much talk about defense but I honestly don’t think our offense is good enough either to win. In our 10 conference losses, we are averaging only 61 points per game. Yes, the defense is awful but if you’re going to average 61 points, your defense has to be Virginia level good.
True, but allowed over 90 defensively. A ton easier to turn a rebound into points vs. having to take it out of bounds.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Believe it or not, this year's defense is actually better than the defense from two years ago but the offense is a lot worse. I think they are bad on both sides this year and it is mostly a personnel issue.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Believe it or not, this year's defense is actually better than the defense from two years ago but the offense is a lot worse. I think they are bad on both sides this year and it is mostly a personnel issue.

Yeah, I think it is a combination of experience, where that experience exists, and then an odd composition of sizes and skillsets. All smalls and bigs, no mediums.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Are we recruiting any JUCO players?

ISU has been linked to 2 currently Keon Ellis (6'4 CG Southwestern) Justice Hill (6'0 PG Salt Lake CC) who have other P6 attention.
I would caution expecting any JuCo player to come in and start day 1 at an all Big 12 level the jump in competition is just as if not more difficult than for a mid-major transfer. I would expect Javan to be more ready practicing in the system for a year than anyone ISU could get right away.

As for the offense vs defense discussion, I think we can trust the staff to put a good offense system in, I believe they were 3rd in B12 scoring coming into last week. Even when this team doesn't score they are getting good looks (just bricking them). Imagine what a Matt, Naz, or Tyrus could do getting the looks that Prentiss, Tre, or Lewis get in the flow of the game.

Defense is the issue, small in the back court and slow in the front court is difficult to overcome with any strategy. Hopefully the infusion of players coming in will help that next year (Long Wings - Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell, Walker, Conditt develops and Foster skills).

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
ISU has been linked to 2 currently Keon Ellis (6'4 CG Southwestern) Justice Hill (6'0 PG Salt Lake CC) who have other P6 attention.
I would caution expecting any JuCo player to come in and start day 1 at an all Big 12 level the jump in competition is just as if not more difficult than for a mid-major transfer. I would expect Javan to be more ready practicing in the system for a year than anyone ISU could get right away.

As for the offense vs defense discussion, I think we can trust the staff to put a good offense system in, I believe they were 3rd in B12 scoring coming into last week. Even when this team doesn't score they are getting good looks (just bricking them). Imagine what a Matt, Naz, or Tyrus could do getting the looks that Prentiss, Tre, or Lewis get in the flow of the game.

Defense is the issue, small in the back court and slow in the front court is difficult to overcome with any strategy. Hopefully the infusion of players coming in will help that next year (Long Wings - Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell, Walker, Conditt develops and Foster skills).

Aren't they looking at RayQuawndis Mitchell as well? I thought he visited recently.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I keep hearing this stat but I refuse to believe it is true.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I keep hearing this stat but I refuse to believe it is true.

Well, it really doesn't mean much because simply stating ppg doesn't tell you how good an offense is and the fact is the conference has some downright horrible offensive teams this year and some teams that are playing at a slower pace than ISU so the PPG doesn't surprise me. Especially when Haliburton was playing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I understand that's what the stats says. I just am choosing to believe it's some odd statistical anomaly or something.

Numbers don't lie. And as mentioned numerous times scoring is down because of the 3 point line change.

I mean for as bad as Saturday was we scored 36 points in the 1st half against what is considered a good defensive team. The problem is we gave up 51 in the first half.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Numbers don't lie. And as mentioned numerous times scoring is down because of the 3 point line change.

I mean for as bad as Saturday was we scored 36 points in the 1st half against what is considered a good defensive team. The problem is we gave up 51 in the first half.

I guess it's truly a testament to how bad we are defensively if there are 7 teams that are worse than us on offense and we still give up 74 ppg.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I understand that's what the stats says. I just am choosing to believe it's some odd statistical anomaly or something.

Those are also just raw numbers so idk what our adj efficiencies look like. Either way though our defense is a much bigger problem. I am more confident in Prohm in figuring out offense than defense. If we ever want to truly take the next step as a program we need to become better defensively.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
prohm's quotes are the best.

when a team is in desperate need of shooting and defense, he emphasizes JJ's passing. awesome. i'm sure this will work out well for us.
It's undeniable Prohm's eye for talent. His idea of how talent should fit into a team construct is what's lacking. We're going to be a much more athletic team next year, with length and height like we haven't seen in awhile, maybe ever, at ISU. But are these guys going to magically learn how to defend, shoot, dribble, move without the ball etc? Those are areas in which we're lacking now, and it is difficult with so many new faces coming in, to see how that's all going to play out, much less improve.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It absolutely is.

Our offense is fine. Offense is just down across college basketball with the extended three-point line and everybody is working out how to deal with it.

Our defense has been ******* atrocious, though.
I must be missing something. Prohm, at the outset, said 'defense' was the thing this team needed to improve. All last summer he was touting that. So, in essence, he 'knew' what was preventing this team from having a better record. The problem is either the coaching or the individuals. Either way, it's on Prohm to figure it out.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

As an accountant you know the rule.

if it doesn’t fit the agenda, the numbers are disregarded.

this offense struggles with simple things because they can’t shoot. That’s reality. If they could make an even mediocre level of shots from the perimeter, they would look a lot better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As an accountant you know the rule.

if it doesn’t fit the agenda, the numbers are disregarded.

this offense struggles with simple things because they can’t shoot. That’s reality. If they could make an even mediocre level of shots from the perimeter, they would look a lot better.
And this would be compounded since having to further respect the perimeter threat would open things up for the inside game both on post and the dribble drive. They can be good as shown by the 3rd ranking in conference offense. They are terribly inconsistent offensively as demonstrated by the low scoring output in virtually all of their conference losses.

That being said, defensive improvement would help their offense get more easy points both by scoring on the break from more turnovers and long rebounds and by secondary transition just from being able to push the ball rather than having to take it out of bounds. Keep the other team from scoring just a couple of buckets and get a couple more easy buckets on the other end and they could add a few more wins to their tally. There are about half a dozen losses with those margins. Get those games and suddenly you are looking at a team that may not be in the NCAA hunt but certainly in good shape for the NIT.

It may be lipstick on a pig, but at this point Miss Piggy is looking pretty sexy.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron