How does Javon Johnson look?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Prohm had some interesting thoughts on Javan in today's media session. The Point Guard comment should spark some conversation....

PROHM ON WHAT JAVAN JOHNSON COULD BRING IN 2020-21
"He’s a guy who is playing the point guard on the second team right now. Really an interchangeable guy, can switch ball screens, can guard a one through four, can play small ball forward, kind of point forward, but can really, really pass and make plays and can stretch the defense, but he has great size and length. He has to have another good summer — strength and skill — but he’s a 6-6 guy that can really help us I think on both ends. His passing, he can really pass, he can really make plays offensively."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...CU-Oklahoma-State-week-144208035/#144208035_8

I hadn't even considered this as an option, but I really didn't dig into Javan's footage much.

If Prohm can mold Javan into a Weiler-Babb type of player, that would certainly change the outlook on next year's team. It would free up some of these other guys to develop off the ball and allow for some switching on defense. If he could run the point with some efficiency and give us 7-8 points/game, I'd take that.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I hope Johnson can surprise and be vastly improved. If they are going to play small like they should they need a guy like that who can be a mismatch at the 4 and can guard multiple positions.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hope he's a nice surprise, but he averaged 10 ppg at a Troy team that finished 12th in the Sunbelt. Let's be real.
Very true. But guys can improve in their sit out years. He does have some skills to build off of. He has a really nice looking outside shot, is a good passer and is athletic. He doesn't have to be a superstar to be a good player and improve the team next year.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Hope he's a nice surprise, but he averaged 10 ppg at a Troy team that finished 12th in the Sunbelt. Let's be real.
That's true, but we've had guys who were just ok at their old school (Nader) and didn't really do much at all (Burton) become studs by the time they were seniors here. We've also had some that never panned out, so it could go either way.

DeAndre Kane's number also went up after coming here. Johnson is not Kane, but there is a history of some players improving their stats even while playing against better competition. Time will tell if Johnson can do it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sometimes even really good players can't make a team good (see Tyrese this year)
hi-res-7c87b13e5b3ed17670b469754048e99b_crop_north.jpg

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Prohm had some interesting thoughts on Javan in today's media session. The Point Guard comment should spark some conversation....

"He’s a guy who is playing the point guard on the second team right now. Really an interchangeable guy, can switch ball screens, can guard a one through four, can play small ball forward, kind of point forward, but can really, really pass and make plays and can stretch the defense, but he has great size and length. He has to have another good summer — strength and skill — but he’s a 6-6 guy that can really help us I think on both ends. His passing, he can really pass, he can really make plays offensively."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...CU-Oklahoma-State-week-144208035/#144208035_8

So, basically he is Scottie Pippen.

Weiler_Babb_Nick_Tulsa_2017_18_1.jpg

Underappreciated in his own time.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Boy I hope all of this is true, but I also remember him hyping up Zion coming into this season.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
And Bowie. And Brase. And Beverly. And Nixon. The praise ceases to mean anything after a while when game results show something quite different.
I don't remember him hyping up Brase, Beverly and Bowie that much. Maybe said they would be solid contributors. He hyped up Nixon's defense, which was pretty accurate.

He also hyped up Shayock, Babb, THT, Bolton, Halliburton, Wigginton....

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He’s going to be a good one. He’s a Kane guy, and Kane (and Prohm) know guard play. I wonder if we’ll use him how we SHOULD have used Talley, had Talley been in good standing. Small-ball four or point-forward at times?

I don’t expect him to be All-Conference, but Reminds me a little of Floyd pulling Dedric from University of New Orleans. He’ll be better in the Big 12 than his modest numbers at Troy suggest.

• Funny
Reactions: cyched44

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron