How does Javon Johnson look?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's not my job to determine if you are an objective poster on this site. But you have zero objectivity. Anybody with eye balls can see that Nixon has been a terrible addition. The optics of it were bad before he even played a game but too many were immersed in the possibility that a bad shooter could suddenly become a good one because he was coming to Ames.

Merrill Holden had a few rebounds and some points. Did you like those a lot too? Looking forward to a paint brush rating.

I'll give you a heart instead, fam.

• Creative
Reactions: Malone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not sure he would have grabbed much for minutes on any of our tournament teams.

I do agree with your general point, though -- he makes some sense as a bench role player as a defensive stopper, but trying to be a starter in the Big 12 is pushing it.

idk man, guys like Bubu, Hallice Cooke and Jordan Ashton got minutes on those teams. At minimum, he's as good as those guys. Even a guy like Naz as a soph was a one trick pony, hell his biggest moment that year really only came because we had so many other guys foul out. He played like 13 minutes in the game that went 3 OT in Stillwater. He was far from the guy we saw the next 2.5 years. If he wasn't shooting well, he was a non factor.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's not my job to determine if you are an objective poster on this site. But you have zero objectivity. Anybody with eye balls can see that Nixon has been a terrible addition. The optics of it were bad before he even played a game but too many were immersed in the possibility that a bad shooter could suddenly become a good one because he was coming to Ames.

Merrill Holden had a few rebounds and some points. Did you like those a lot too? Looking forward to a paint brush rating.

By saying I'm not objective you are insinuating I have a motive. I'd like to know what you think my motive is. My motive is just like everyone on this board in wanting ISU to win and be successful.

My only point was that Nixon is a better defender than anyone else on the team (except maybe Tre) so I am not going to bag on him for defense. But his shooting, yeah, I'll bag on him for that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
idk man, guys like Bubu, Hallice Cooke and Jordan Ashton got minutes on those teams. At minimum, he's as good as those guys. Even a guy like Naz as a soph was a one trick pony, hell his biggest moment that year really only came because we had so many other guys foul out. He played like 13 minutes in the game that went 3 OT in Stillwater. He was far from the guy we saw the next 2.5 years. If he wasn't shooting well, he was a non factor.

You do have a good point there.

I was curious -- conference minutes from some the marginal guards.

---
43 = Palo
5 = Sledge

---
17 = N M-L
7 = Okoro

---
382 = Thomas (really marginal...?)
334 = N M-L (really marginal...?)
26 = S D-W

---
258 = Thomas (again, really marginal...?)
15 = Custer

---
148 = Ashton
131 = Cooke

---
2 = Long

---
88 = Talley
30 = Lewis
14 = Griffin

So I think you have a few candidates to replace Nixon with there. Most of the other guys were just playing spot minutes in mop-up duty, not in the rotation.

2014 = Thomas and N M-L
2015 = Thomas
2016 = Ashton and Cooke (wow we were short on guards that year)

I am not going to count 2018. Talley is at a different position than Nixon, and the minutes played by others were, again, really more in mop-up mode.

PRPG!

0.8 = 2020 Nixon
1.9 = 2014 Mitrou-Long
0.8 = 2014 Thomas
0.9 = 2015 Thomas
-0.3 = 2016 Ashton
0.4 = 2016 Cooke

So I think I agree with you that he would have obviously played over Ashton and Cooke that year when all we had for guards was Morris and Thomas.

He was pretty even with freshman and sophomore Matt Thomas, but I can only imagine you play Thomas given his rankings and upside there.

Looks like you might have underestimated sophomore Naz above. Yes, a one-trick pony, but that is about the best trick a pony can have nowadays.

So I think Nixon would have been in the rotation on the 2016 team, but probably marginally, but at least better than desperation like Cooke/Ashton. Combining those two gives you 15.5 minutes per game in the Big 12, which is a rotation spot.

I think that is really the only year, though.

I still would have thrown something at the TV watching him take shots/therefore take shots away from Niang, Morris, Nader, Burton, Thomas, and even McKay, though.

Reactions: heitclone

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think we saw some regression from Nixon on Saturday. Seems like he is getting frustrated with both his shot not falling and getting benched for younger guys. Seemed like he just lost a lot of focus in his last game.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I think we saw some regression from Nixon on Saturday. Seems like he is getting frustrated with both his shot not falling and getting benched for younger guys. Seemed like he just lost a lot of focus in his last game.

I certainly thought the same thing immediately after he made the running hook shot towards the end of the 1st half. Terrible shot, but went in. He wasn't even trying to find a good look at the basket, or a teammate.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He gets a lot of hate, but he's definitely had good moments. IMO, I think he presses too hard early in games. I feel like his shooting gets better as he gets into the game more. I'd like to see him facilitate more offensively or at least get into the lane more early.

In reality, if we are shooting better as a team or play better team defense, Nixon doesn't get singled out like he's been. He was hyped up a little too much before he came here.
I used to work with an All-American point guard (long after his playing days). He used to talk about how he would spend the entire first half just feeding the other players in the post. Somewhere around the last media time out some of the guys would be saying "Dude, you gotta give me a break here, I'm dying." Then he could get his while still keeping his teammates as happy as they could be.

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

It's gotta be frustrating for him considering that when he decided to transfer to us, he was looking at coming into a very competitive team for his senior season. He played quite a few games where he was hustling hard on defense only to have his teammates sorta walk through the motions. It's on him to keep up the intensity, but it's pretty easy to understand his frustration.

And that's not me giving him a free pass by any stretch. He has taken some ill-advised shots and hasn't exactly played flawless defense. I think he would be a pain in the ass on a team like WVU.

It was pretty funny hearing Dakich calling for Nixon to get put on the bench right before he drilled a 3 and then a 2 in consecutive possessions.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I think Javan will be a good player for us. He has a lot of guard skills and can shoot it. I’d put him somewhere in the 10-13PPG range and shoot around 35% from 3. He’ll be a tough guy to guard because he can shoot off the bounce or get to the rim. I’m not sure how good we’ll be next year because we still lack some shooting but I like that we are adding 3/4 guys who are 6-5/6-6. (Javan, Dubar, Blackwell and evening Walker). It’s good to get some length back to the perimeter.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Doc

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
I went to the open scrimmage earlier this year. I left being impressed with Johnson, and unimpressed with Nixon. Johnson could shoot, had good length, and was also stouter than I expected.

I was hoping Nixon was less than impressive in the scrimmage because he was injured at the time.

Based on this single observation, I do believe that Johnson has size and playing experience that we are missing and would have helped us this year.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I always have to see to believe these transfers coming from smaller school, especially if they didn’t ball out like Kane did.

I kept hearing for lots of people that Nixon was a Larry E guy and played crazy tough defense. I mean ya, he hustles, but he’s been getting beat A LOT of recent.

I’m sure the kid is a good kid, but I think he’s a 5 min a night type of a guy. I think Lewis and Jackson give us the best chance to win with their hustle and scoring abilities.

As for Johnson, I’ll wait and see. Hope he works hard, but not getting my hopes up that he’ll be a high-caliber guy. It takes time to adjust to a team and a system in Big 12 game speed.

Reactions: Doc

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Im not sure what’s more pathetic, our 3 pt shooting, or your existence. We’re pretty bad at shooting so....

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Nixon's isn't great but his shortcomings are magnified by those around him. He's a role player but we've had teams in the past that he would have been a good fit. Starting with 2 other guys who are challenged offensively really puts pressure on him. I think the same can be said about MJ.

I don’t think he would play significant minutes on any good recent ISU teams.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

He was sure as hell better than Nixon. He played plenty, and it was a lot tougher to earn minutes on that 3-seed big 22 tourney champion team.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Prohm had some interesting thoughts on Javan in today's media session. The Point Guard comment should spark some conversation....

PROHM ON WHAT JAVAN JOHNSON COULD BRING IN 2020-21
"He’s a guy who is playing the point guard on the second team right now. Really an interchangeable guy, can switch ball screens, can guard a one through four, can play small ball forward, kind of point forward, but can really, really pass and make plays and can stretch the defense, but he has great size and length. He has to have another good summer — strength and skill — but he’s a 6-6 guy that can really help us I think on both ends. His passing, he can really pass, he can really make plays offensively."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...CU-Oklahoma-State-week-144208035/#144208035_8

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Prohm had some interesting thoughts on Javan in today's media session. The Point Guard comment should spark some conversation....

PROHM ON WHAT JAVAN JOHNSON COULD BRING IN 2020-21
"He’s a guy who is playing the point guard on the second team right now. Really an interchangeable guy, can switch ball screens, can guard a one through four, can play small ball forward, kind of point forward, but can really, really pass and make plays and can stretch the defense, but he has great size and length. He has to have another good summer — strength and skill — but he’s a 6-6 guy that can really help us I think on both ends. His passing, he can really pass, he can really make plays offensively."

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...CU-Oklahoma-State-week-144208035/#144208035_8

So, basically he is Scottie Pippen.