This is why Prohm must go........

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Going full jsb. Impressive.

Okay, fine. I do engage in hyperbole from time to time on this board, probably even more than the average poster, and nobody actually "hates" Steve Prohm.

That being written, there are at least a couple of posters, and maybe more than that, that have openly admitted that they decided to dislike CSP from practically the very moment he was hired, even before he coached his very first game.

He deserves to be evaluated on his own merits (or lack thereof) and on his own tenure, and I'll admit he's sadly lacking right now on those regards.

The Cult of Fred is a real thing, even if it's a comparatively very small group of fans.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Again, you are on record, on this very board, as being perfectly okay with him being let go after last season, which by historical ISU standards was a pretty good one.

Based on that, it's very hard for me to think or believe that you were willing to give the guy a fair chance.

I really think the perception of Prohm comes down more to the good years than the bad years. To some, the bad years are excusable if you consider the good years a success. To others, even in the good years, we underachieved relevant to talent.

Personally, I was left underwhelmed year 1. That was a great roster I never felt clicked. Year 2 was likely his best coaching job. With limited depth that team was playing well by the end of the year. Year 3 was inevitable with the roster makeup. Last year I was pretty indifferent on. There were good moments, there were bad moments, and I just don't quite feel we saw that group reach it's potential. This year has obviously been an unmitigated disaster.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Again, you are on record, on this very board, as being perfectly okay with him being let go after last season, which by historical ISU standards was a pretty good one.

Based on that, it's very hard for me to think or believe that you were willing to give the guy a fair chance.
Yes, would’ve been totally fine with him taking Alabama job. I am on record saying that. It’s his alma mater, and it’s great to see coaches do that. In fact, I do not want to see him get fired. I’d rather see him either turning this ship around to calmer waters (which I have a hard time believing will happen) or another school hire him on.

It’s actually quite disgusting how you’re putting words in people’s mouth by saying that just because they don’t think he is right for this job, means that they hate the guy. It’s a terrible narrative that you’re spewing and is not a good look at all.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I know the last few weeks the games have been meaningless, but to me these beat downs we have been taking just moves the needle further for next year on what Prohm would need to prove to win me back over. I think he's losing more and more goodwill within the fan base with each 20 point drubbing that at some point he may not be able to overcome it.

Yeah. That game Saturday against the Red Raiders was just an abomination. It would be one thing to lose a close one against a better team and come up just short in the end. But that game was over by halftime.

That was more dispiriting than losing by double digits against Baylor or Kansas. You could see those losses coming, and I think we were fairly competitive against Baylor for the most part, actually. But Texas Tech? They're a good, solid team, but they'll likely be between a 6 and a 9 seed on Selection Sunday. They were beatable, and we just didn't show up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah. That game Saturday against the Red Raiders was just an abomination. It would be one thing to lose a close one against a better team and come up just short in the end. But that game was over by halftime.

That was more dispiriting than losing by double digits against Baylor or Kansas. You could see those losses coming, and I think we were fairly competitive against Baylor for the most part, actually. But Texas Tech? They're a good, solid team, but they'll likely be between a 6 and a 9 seed on Selection Sunday. They were beatable, and we just didn't show up.

Exactly. And to me I think there comes a point where games like that leave such a bad taste in my mouth that it will take something substantial next year to sway my opinion on Prohm.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I really think the perception of Prohm comes down more to the good years than the bad years. To some, the bad years are excusable if you consider the good years a success. To others, even in the good years, we underachieved relevant to talent.

Personally, I was left underwhelmed year 1. That was a great roster I never felt clicked. Year 2 was likely his best coaching job. With limited depth that team was playing well by the end of the year. Year 3 was inevitable with the roster makeup. Last year I was pretty indifferent on. There were good moments, there were bad moments, and I just don't quite feel we saw that group reach it's potential. This year has obviously been an unmitigated disaster.

I think you're right in your first paragraph.

As for me, I consider Season 1 to be a very successful one. That was our 5th Sweet 16 season by recent historical standards (and I cannot count the 1940's era team that did technically make it to a Final Four, since I think there were only 8 teams in the tournament to begin with back then). I don't hold it against Steve Prohm that we beat two double digit seeds either. You play who you play. Year 2 was a lot of fun, and I agree with that being his best coaching job. Year 3 sucked from a wins and losses standpoint, but I actually enjoyed that season more than this one honestly. That team was competitive before all the injuries set in, and we actually kicked the crap out of ranked teams in Texas Tech and West Virginia at Hilton, as opposed to losing by 30 points to Texas Tech. Last year was a pretty good one in my mind; the late season swoon sucked, but the Big 12 tournament was great and while the loss to OSU was disappointing it also didn't take away from the overall success of last season.

This current season has been an abject disaster, no doubt about it.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Okay, fine. I do engage in hyperbole from time to time on this board, probably even more than the average poster, and nobody actually "hates" Steve Prohm.

That being written, there are at least a couple of posters, and maybe more than that, that have openly admitted that they decided to dislike CSP from practically the very moment he was hired, even before he coached his very first game.

He deserves to be evaluated on his own merits (or lack thereof) and on his own tenure, and I'll admit he's sadly lacking right now on those regards.

The Cult of Fred is a real thing, even if it's a comparatively very small group of fans.

I agree the Fred lovers can't be taken seriously on ANYTHING regarding Prohm. They must simply be ignored. That said, the challenge is identifying who the rational and concerned fan is opposed to the blind irrelevant Fred lover, like rochclone.

• Creative
Reactions: jcisuclones

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yes, would’ve been totally fine with him taking Alabama job. I am on record saying that. It’s his alma mater, and it’s great to see coaches do that. In fact, I do not want to see him get fired. I’d rather see him either turning this ship around to calmer waters (which I have a hard time believing will happen) or another school hire him on.

It’s actually quite disgusting how you’re putting words in people’s mouth by saying that just because they don’t think he is right for this job, means that they hate the guy. It’s a terrible narrative that you’re spewing and is not a good look at all.

Okay. I will acknowledge, as I did above, that "hate" is a strong word and is hyperbole on my part, and if it does bother you so much, than I apologize.

Other than that though I have to stand by my words.

• Friendly
Reactions: clone1990

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I agree the Fred lovers can't be taken seriously on ANYTHING regarding Prohm. They must simply be ignored. That said, the challenge is identifying who the rational and concerned fan is opposed to the blind irrelevant Fred lover, like rochclone.

I think I have made it fairly clear that I don’t care who the coach is as long as we win consistently. Ticket holder since 1995 (25 years) so I’ve seen highs and lows and will be a fan long after mynameisanasshole graduates from high school.
Fred was the best coach in our history with 115 wins in 5 years. Prohm is probably the 4th best coach since Johnny retired. I have a major issue with Prohm being considered a better coach to CFH but it’s not a supportable argument and that is all I heard for years on this forum from Cat and the crew.
I think Steve’s second year was his best coaching job and amazing. Year 4 was a success IMO despite the February swoon. But year 3 & 5 were absolute disasters and Year 5 is direct product of poor recruiting decisions by Prohm. Instead of taking Beverly or Brase he could have recruited some freshmen that would hopefully now be contributing juniors. He hasn’t been unlucky but rather dealing with the same issues that most Power 5 coaches deal with.
Losing is one thing, but being non-competitive the numbers of times we have been in the last three years has to be alarming even to the greatest Prohm loyalist.
I don’t dislike Prohm as a person but I don’t think this is going to work out. It would be easier if it did instead of Iowa State doing a full reboot. But IMO the Florida AM and Texas Tech games are the types of games where you lose lots of everyday fans.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

You hate Fred so much. You hate him so much that you actually hate T.J. I’m not the irrational one in this conversation.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm sure you think that Iowa State should unretire the number 32 and take his banner down from the rafters, as well.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think I have made it fairly clear that I don’t care who the coach is as long as we win consistently. Ticket holder since 1995 (25 years) so I’ve seen highs and lows and will be a fan long after mynameisanasshole graduates from high school.
Fred was the best coach in our history with 115 wins in 5 years. Prohm is probably the 4th best coach since Johnny retired. I have a major issue with Prohm being considered a better coach to CFH but it’s not a supportable argument and that is all I heard for years on this forum from Cat and the crew.
I think Steve’s second year was his best coaching job and amazing. Year 4 was a success IMO despite the February swoon. But year 3 & 5 were absolute disasters and Year 5 is direct product of poor recruiting decisions by Prohm. Instead of taking Beverly or Brase he could have recruited some freshmen that would hopefully now be contributing juniors. He hasn’t been unlucky but rather dealing with the same issues that most Power 5 coaches deal with.
Losing is one thing, but being non-competitive the numbers of times we have been in the last three years has to be alarming even to the greatest Prohm loyalist.
I don’t dislike Prohm as a person but I don’t think this is going to work out. It would be easier if it did instead of Iowa State doing a full reboot. But IMO the Florida AM and Texas Tech games are the types of games were you lose lots of everyday fans.

Even as a previous, even fervent Prohm defender I can agree completely with this post.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
But year 3 & 5 were absolute disasters and Year 5 is direct product of poor recruiting decisions by Prohm. Instead of taking Beverly or Brase he could have recruited some freshmen that would hopefully now be contributing juniors.

Completely disagree. They were recruited very, very late in the cycle. You risk tying up that scholarship on a 4 year guy who will never play versus a guy who is 1 and out. The issue is much more Lard, Long, Lewis, etc. not really panning out to be good rotation players.