Friday OT #1 - Unchained Melodies

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's actually the song my wife and her dad danced to for the father/dauhter dance...
well-this-is-awkward-meme.png

I knew that several people would have used it! I don't at all judge anyone else - the song just totally grates on me. I think I heard it at 500 weddings growing up? Same recently with doing some wedding photography, and how everyone used Ed Sheerhan for a while.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We were on the tail end of attending a ton of weddings and wedding dances by the time we got married. Both of us were a bit burned out on them.

We ended up having a morning wedding and afternoon reception and eschewed a dance altogether. We wound up contracting a string quartet that we stumbled upon during a date to play during the reception. People ate, drank and talked and have the rest of their day to do whatever they wanted.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I know we did an entrance song, but I 100% don't remember what it was. I'm not even sure if that made it into the video to be able to tell.

I did have a drag-out fight with my mom about the father-daughter dance. We hadn't really asked for any financial help at all with the wedding, but they'd offered to pick up several things as we went along, which was very much appreciated. Janny and I both care a ton about music, and so we had very firm ideas on what our songs would be, and what was not allowed at the wedding at all.

our DJ did a great job. he knew that when it came time for the party portion of the reception, he had a job to do to appeal to the full wedding which wasn't 100% our favorites. So for the cocktail hour and dinner, he played most of our favorite music that included some:
Avett Brothers
Wilco
Jack Johnson
Big Head Todd
The Decemberists
Amy Winehouse
Frank Sinatra
The Shins

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I know we did an entrance song, but I 100% don't remember what it was. I'm not even sure if that made it into the video to be able to tell.

I did have a drag-out fight with my mom about the father-daughter dance. We hadn't really asked for any financial help at all with the wedding, but they'd offered to pick up several things as we went along, which was very much appreciated. Janny and I both care a ton about music, and so we had very firm ideas on what our songs would be, and what was not allowed at the wedding at all. For example, the song "Butterfly Kisses" makes my skin crawl.

We sat down with the DJ, and the first thing my mom said was, "I don't care about anything else, but we were at a wedding last week and I want you and your dad to dance to 'Butterfly Kisses.'" I explained gently that I would rather elope and forfeit all of our mutual deposits than have it anywhere at my wedding, it is anathema to me. She tried to threaten me with the amount of money that they had contributed until I somewhat bluntly pointed out that it was not happening and we would be happy to pay them back for any monies contributed. We have never spoken about the event since.

My grandma had a stroke the day after our wedding and passed away four days later. We were so torn about going on our honeymoon at the time. We went and saw her at the hospital before we left as everyone told us we needed to go. We ended up cutting it short though. Celebrating getting married one day and 10 days later going to your grandma's funeral is not what we quite had in mind.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My grandma had a stroke the day after our wedding and passed away four days later. We were so torn about going on our honeymoon at the time. We went and saw her at the hospital before we left as everyone told us we needed to go. We ended up cutting it short though. Celebrating getting married one day and 10 days later going to your grandma's funeral is not what we quite had in mind.

I am so very sorry. That is just awful, and I'm sure it always makes your anniversary a bittersweet time.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Sigh...marriage wrecks perfectly good songs. The song was good before your marriage, it will be good after your marriage, can we not dirty them with things so putrid as human matrimony?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I did have a drag-out fight with my mom about the father-daughter dance. We hadn't really asked for any financial help at all with the wedding, but they'd offered to pick up several things as we went along, which was very much appreciated. Janny and I both care a ton about music, and so we had very firm ideas on what our songs would be, and what was not allowed at the wedding at all. For example, the song "Butterfly Kisses" makes my skin crawl.

We sat down with the DJ, and the first thing my mom said was, "I don't care about anything else, but we were at a wedding last week and I want you and your dad to dance to 'Butterfly Kisses.'" I explained gently that I would rather elope and forfeit all of our mutual deposits than have it anywhere at my wedding, it is anathema to me. She tried to threaten me with the amount of money that they had contributed until I somewhat bluntly pointed out that it was not happening and we would be happy to pay them back for any monies contributed. We have never spoken about the event since.
I can't believe you ruined her wedding like that!

;)

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie