NFL: 2020 NFL Off-season Thread

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
As I do not disagree with your assessment, a team who has a window to contend now is not likely to have as high draft picks to offer for trade as a team who is desperate for a quarterback. QB is still the most important position on a football team, and teams have shown over and again they are willing to reach for "the next star QB." If Cincinnati is smart, I know that's a huge assumption, they will get as much as they can for that top pick to benefit them.

Could be. I don't know; of all the teams in the league who might not blink and take a player whether he wants to be there or not, it's the Bengals. Mike Brown is pretty stubborn.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If the 'phins can't land Burrow, I hope they land Hebert over Tua. Size, athleticism, and arm strength bodes well for Hebert over Tua.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If you were GM, would you take Tua at 5 or trade your 3 (it might only take your 2 highest) first rounders to move up and take Burrow?
This answer should be really easy. Tua at 5. Burrow is not worth three 1st Round picks.

And if Tua isn't there at 5 go get someone like Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater and surround them with great talent using your picks.

Or if he isn't there at 5 go O-line and tank for Fields or Lawrence in 2021.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
How can people be that stupid? You’re a millionaire, pay someone to go get your weed for you. Also, the **** does he need that much weed for? It would take him years to smoke that much weed.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
How can people be that stupid? You’re a millionaire, pay someone to go get your weed for you. Also, the **** does he need that much weed for? It would take him years to smoke that much weed.

This is sarcasm, right?

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Probably just needed to supplement his income Jimlad.PNG

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's a change I can get behind. Two more playoff games, but there's still an incentive to get the top seed

For sure. More postseason football. How is that a bad thing for fans? I guess it would kind of suck if your team was a two seed and they got knocked out by a seven seed, but if that's the case then they didn't deserve it anyway. It makes the top seed incredibly valuable.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For sure. More postseason football. How is that a bad thing for fans? I guess it would kind of suck if your team was a two seed and they got knocked out by a seven seed, but if that's the case then they didn't deserve it anyway. It makes the top seed incredibly valuable.
The main argument I've heard against it is it waters down the playoffs. If wildcard weekend from this year is any indication, I'm not too worried about it.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The main argument I've heard against it is it waters down the playoffs. If wildcard weekend from this year is any indication, I'm not too worried about it.

Agreed. This wouldn't be like adding a ninth team to the Eastern Conference playoffs in the NBA where there's a wide margin between the haves and have-nots. Could the Rams have gone into Green Bay and beat the Packers this year? The Pack would have been favored but it's no guaranteed win, either.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Agreed. This wouldn't be like adding a ninth team to the Eastern Conference playoffs in the NBA where there's a wide margin between the haves and have-nots. Could the Rams have gone into Green Bay and beat the Packers this year? The Pack would have been favored but it's no guaranteed win, either.

I am a Steeler fan...and if this new system were in place last season...the Steelers would have made the playoffs! And by no means were the Steelers a playoff team last year! All of the injuries and poor QB play...they didn't deserve it! The defense was great...but the Steelers couldn't beat the Jets in Week 16...so I am all for more football to watch but there are examples that would indicate this is a watering down of the product.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and GT25Ump

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I am a Steeler fan...and if this new system were in place last season...the Steelers would have made the playoffs! And by no means were the Steelers a playoff team last year! All of the injuries and poor QB play...they didn't deserve it! The defense was great...but the Steelers couldn't beat the Jets in Week 16...so I am all for more football to watch but there are examples that would indicate this is a watering down of the product.

That's fair - the Steelers would have been lambs to the slaughter at KC. After Roethlisberger went out they never really had a chance, and it's kind of remarkable they ended up being as competitive as they were. But more often than not the team that just barely misses out on the playoffs is pretty good and wouldn't be a gimmie for the two seed.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-wont-work-out-at-other-positions-at-combine/

Strong move by Hurts. I'm not completely convinced he has a future in the league as a full time QB but he should have his opportunity to prove himself first. I love his leadership and intangibles. I wish he was a little more consistent with his accuracy and anticipation, but I wouldn't mind the Colts using a pick on him in the third round if they haven't addressed the QB position by then.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Exactly. And the NBA "watering down" comparisons would be more apt if we were talking about playing a series. This is a single elimination tournament, though. There's plenty of precedent for lower seeded teams beating higher ones, and many of the top seeds have regular season losses to teams with losing records. Yes, there's a difference between the haves and have nots in the NFL, but a 2vs7 game is more of a "have vs don't have quite as much"

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic